• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to whole cooling thing, need advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In terms of the fact there is no opening and fan stuff on the front of the case, you think its worth looking into a new one? or do you think a new HS will do the job? Main problem will be the abient temperature in my room gets very hot itself, how would that factor it in to it all?

The Ambient (room) temp is the beginning point...
Second, I get emails from some readers who buy heatsinks and find performance does not match what they read in our and other reviews. The first question I ask is "What is the temp inside your case??" Invariably the answer is something like "30/35/40 C" - sometimes higher!

The air temp going INTO the heatsink or radiator fan is the floor - all other temps you see are added onto this temp. If the air temp is 35 or 40C going into the fan, then there is NO WAY this heatsink will give you 40C at the CPU. The following table lays out what to expect for a 100 watt CPU:
As the table shows, the higher your case temp (and fan inlet temp), the hotter the CPU temp. It's no wonder that many are finding fresh air ducts to be a very effective solution at lowering CPU temps. Effective CPU cooling requires BOTH a good heatsink and airflow through the case.
To test out how much case temp impacts your system, open the side of the case, aim a house fan at the motherboard and record temps under stress. This is "best case" for airflow through the case.

To calculate what to expect for other CPUs, for every watt the CPU radiates, the heatsink will cool the core by the (C/W x watts) plus ambient temp. For example, at a fan inlet temp of 25 C, a C/W of 0.25 with a CPU radiating 50 watts means that the CPU temp will be 50 x 0.25 = 12.5 C over ambient temp, or 37.5 C.

Last, remember that in-socket thermistors are not accurate measures of CPU temps. Every heatsink affects an in-socket thermistor differently, as does airflow over the motherboard. There is no consistency between motherboards as well. At a minimum, you can factor +/- 5 C to these temps.

SOURCE LINK :drool:

Ambient is very important. Many times people cant do much about it though. If you can cool down your romm that would help a lot !!! Turn on your AC man. A new heatsink will work, as yours doenst seem to be cut out to cool a 3000. Only buy a new case if you want to (for looks or whatever,) it wont change your temps more than 2'C. I think your peoblem is your current heatsink. Get a´copper heatsink with a nice powerful fan on it.

check out these here.

good luck. :)

What??? No SP-97.... What's wrong with this picture ;) JK. He doesn't need the ultimate, the SLK would work great I'm sure. And according to overclockers.com, the slk is better??? Hmmmmm. Never knew that. Interesting...

Oh, regarding the HS replacement: for the budget-conscious, the Thermalright ALX-800 is the bee's knees in terms of price and brilliant performance!

For twenty bucks here LINK you can't beat it. If you want to save some money on a HS, get a good 80mm fan and this. If you can afford it, I would suggest the slk series LINK

Would deffinately go for the SLK series over the ALX-800.

After using the ALX-800 for a few weeks I give it about a 7/10 for subpar performance. It slightly has beaten out my Volcano 7+. :(

Unfortunatly, the SLK948-U is not compatible with my mainboard, so looks like I'll have to go for the ALX-800. If I get that, which fan would you recommend for me to use? Sound isn't too much of an issue, as long as it isnt an aieroplane or something hehe

"Thermalright ALX-800"
SUMMARY: Excellent choice for aggressive air-cooling, but at very high noise levels.
Thermalright's ALX-800 is a fine choice for aggressive Socket A cooling when used with a very aggressive fan, such as a high-energy Delta 80. However, there is no doubt that the noise that goes with this performance borders on the absurd. The ALX-800, I think, is an excellent example of the limits of air cooling and what lengths users must go to extract the last bit of performance.
Thermalright sent me a Delta fan (FFB0812EHE) to test the ALX-800 - a 80 x 38mm unit rated 80 cfm @ 5700 rpm, 53 dBA¹. I found it to be about the noisiest fan I've ever tested

SOURCE LINK

FAN LINK

Damn my blindness >.<

Anywho, my current fan is apparently 38db and i think thats pretty quiet from where im sitting, so do you think 53db is gonna be extremelly loud? As long as its tolerable and unhearable below gaming I dont really mind. I just have no comparison only ever using stock h/s and this fan before as to how loud things are.

There is a sound bite you can listen to...Look at the link and check out the fans noise..:D

*****Hear this fan now***** Save sound to disk

archilochus said:
There is a sound bite you can listen to...Look at the link and check out the fans noise..:D

*****Hear this fan now***** Save sound to disk

Had a little listen to that, but it cant really show the volume though as it would all depend on what my PC was set to?

Well, having had a 80mm Tornado in my case that puts out about that many dB's... I would say it would literally drive you nuts after several weeks. There is no way anyone could run a computer with the 80mm Tornado, and not have it on a rheostat. It drown out games, keeps you awake at night, filling the air with it's demonic shriek... ahhhhhhhh!!!!, :whew: flashed back to when it was in my case. :D ;)

True story about the noise level, though. 53 dB is incredibly annoying for an 80mm b/c it's a high pitched whine. 92mm aren't as bad... it's a lower hum but a 92mm doesn't fit on the ALX-800. Is there any of the copper thermalrights that will fit on your board? If so, just save a little longer to get one... you're computer has been fine up to this point, correct?... it'll hold until you can get the parts you want for it.

[edit]

Wait a moment... I went on the Thermalright page and they say that the slk-900a will fit your board KT6 Delta right?
KT6 Delta FIS2R -
KT6 Delta-L V.2.0 -
KT6V-LSR
is that a board similiar to your's? also
from sidewinder computers said:
The SLK900-A is Thermalright's newest all-copper design cooler for AMD processors. More or less, it is the socket attachment version of the SLK900-U. Because of this change, the heatsink sits north-to-south on most modern motherboards instead of east-to-west. This change will allow for nearly 100% compatibility with AMD motherboards

Here's a link to the sale priced slk-900a LINK

Last edited:
Uhhh. I hate Tornado's. Looking in my sig, you will see that I have my cpu ducted to a Tornado. My late Tornado just died on me the other day and I have to say that I don't miss it at all. Even the 92mm Tornado is incredibly annoying. Save yourself, don't buy a Tornado Buy a Delta, you'll thank me later.

Back