• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New upgrade for a newbie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retiredvet

I need to build a new system and I want to go with the I5 6600K as the CPU. I use to be good with computer systems but it been awhile since I attempt to upgrade. The new motherboards are confusing because there is too much information on all the boards and it is all sounding like Greek now. The biggest reason I want to upgrade is that I have retired and I want to play some of the new games. The main one I want to play right now is Fallout 4. This thing requires a fast system to play. I have decided to go with the I5 6600K CPU but I need to know about a case, Motherboard, Memory and cooling. I want to be able to overclock the machine when I am playing my games. This is become a learning experience. I think first I need to find a good motherboard that is easy and dependable to overclock (first time trying it). Every time I think that I have found one I see a review or comment somewhere talking about the horrors of it. The ones that I am considering right now are: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A, or the GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7. I don’t know which company provides the most support but that is a big consideration for me also. How about helping out a retired VET. :confused:

The Asus board you list is a good board. Some people have horror stories about Asus customer service (and everything else eventually) but I had good experiences with them. I have a few Asus boards and all have been good boards, and the ROG Maximus is one of their high end boards (which also seems to help their customer service). Coincidentally, I went from an Asus to the exact Gigabyte board you listed. I love it. It feels like a solid, well built board and has nice features. The audio section is great, better than any of the Asus boards I've heard. The software suite that comes with the Gigabyte board is nice, too. I'm not a fan of the Asus software suite. All in all I love the Gigabyte Gaming 7 and can recommend it. I have a 6700k in mine and so far it's a great board.
The Asus costs $70 more, and is probably worth it. There may be a few more features, but their worth depends on whether or not you need them. It will probably look better in a black case if that matters. :) There's my $.02. And don't forget a good quality power supply. :thup: Oh, I built this rig mostly for gaming so our goals are paralleled there.

Agree with Alaric!

If you dont want to spend a lot and get a good board you can look at MSI Z170A PC-MATE (Which i use for my main gaming rig.)
Gigabyte boards are high quality and awesome, If you dont need a really high overclock and pretty much almost all the features the gigabyte board have you can go with the MSI one.

The Asus board you list is a good board. Some people have horror stories about Asus customer service (and everything else eventually) but I had good experiences with them. I have a few Asus boards and all have been good boards, and the ROG Maximus is one of their high end boards (which also seems to help their customer service). Coincidentally, I went from an Asus to the exact Gigabyte board you listed. I love it. It feels like a solid, well built board and has nice features. The audio section is great, better than any of the Asus boards I've heard. The software suite that comes with the Gigabyte board is nice, too. I'm not a fan of the Asus software suite. All in all I love the Gigabyte Gaming 7 and can recommend it. I have a 6700k in mine and so far it's a great board.
The Asus costs $70 more, and is probably worth it. There may be a few more features, but their worth depends on whether or not you need them. It will probably look better in a black case if that matters. :) There's my $.02. And don't forget a good quality power supply. :thup: Oh, I built this rig mostly for gaming so our goals are paralleled there.

So, this is what I am thinking so far:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO
CPU: I5 6600K
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (until I get a new case)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
What’s your opinion? Any changes you think I should make?

I was thinking about the Gigabyte board but according to a previous post I should be ready to make adjustment to it. So, decided to spend a little more and go with the Asus. Not that concern about sound quality. I hear Asus and Gigabyte consumer support is about on the same level. I have read that the Asus software suite is easy to follow and that what I need right now.

Will you also be replacing the PSU at this time or is that coming later like the case?

Will you also be replacing the PSU at this time or is that coming later like the case?
I have a Thermaltake 750W 80 PLUS Gold power supply now but I think I will replace it later because I have had it for a while and I like the modular power supplies. I love that NZXT power supply but it’s a little more than I want to pay for a power supply. You get any suggestion on these other parts like the power supply.
My secret is that I am trying to get the motherboard and CPU changed prior to the end of Windows 10 free upgrade date. I am hoping I can figure out how to get this rig to work without having to load a new OS. If not I will get an old one and upgrade prior to the cutoff date.

I changed my mind. My son said to go ahead and get the I7 6700 CPU and use the regular cooler but I would be prepare to overclock just by changing the cooler in the future.

Would the I7 function alright with this cooler inside a Cosair 550D case. Would it get enough air to keep cool? If I don't overclock.

CPU: I7 6700K

I changed my mind. My son said to go ahead and get the I7 6700 CPU and use the regular cooler but I would be prepare to overclock just by changing the cooler in the future.

Would the I7 function alright with this cooler inside a Cosair 550D case. Would it get enough air to keep cool? If I don't overclock.

CPU: I7 6700K

It will be enough to cool at stock, Maybe even for a little overclock.

I like the CPU and memory. :) Good motherboard, too. You shouldn't need 750 watts with one of the new GPUs, so you'll save some there. Mine is running happily with a 550 watt EVGA Gold and an RX 480. :thup:

I like the CPU and memory. :) Good motherboard, too. You shouldn't need 750 watts with one of the new GPUs, so you'll save some there. Mine is running happily with a 550 watt EVGA Gold and an RX 480. :thup:

Maybe he should take 600Watt if he will want to do SLI (Or CF) or Nvidia releases a new xx90 card :p

True. I had a 650 watt picked for my build originally for that very reason. In the end I figured single cards are so good now that I probably wouldn't go the Xfire route. Then again, RX 480s should eventually be available again for $200-$250 and another one would be nice.....LOL

You list sounds pretty good. A couple of things to add:

1. SSD: get at least a 512 GB drive...and have this be your Windows boot drive. 512 GB will let you install some games. I recommend the Samsung 850 EVO. If you can afford it, go for a bigger drive or the Samsung 950 Pro.

2. HDD: get at least a 3 TB drive...you can use this to install other games, and as a general storage drive.

3. Graphics card: If your main reason is gaming, you should invest in a good one. The card type would depend on what resolution you want to game at. If you can afford it, go all in for a NVIDIA GTX 1080...you will love it. The GTX 1070 and 1060 are also great cards. A high end graphics card will allow you to game at maximum graphics settings (I like to game this way...because it just looks fantastic.) I personally like EVGA as a brand. I have owned many of their cards, and they have the best customer service in the industry.

4. Sound: If you are going to game, you will also want a nice sound system. I have a surround system plugged into my PC (sounds awesome). If you don't want to go that far, you can get yourself a nice surround sound bar. Anything that is good quality for movies will sound great when gaming. And...the difference with surround is fantastic.

5. Power Supply: If you want to upgrade your power supply, go for at least a 750 W...you can look at 850 W...they are not that much more expensive, and the extra power will give you expandability in the future. Get at least a 80 Plus Gold rating. The platinum rating is not worth the $$ unless you are going to leave your PC on 24/7. Again, I like EVGA.

Edit: changed MB to GB...duh

Last edited:
With a GTX 1080, a SSD and 7200 RPM HDD, and an ODD, it would hit about 360 watts under load. If the OP wants to OC the heck out of the CPU and GPU, (4700 MHz for the i7 and 2000 MHz for the Pascal) it barely cracks 400 watts. He would need a second 1080 at 2000 MHz to require 700 watts.

I put 4 120 mm fans in to the PSU calculator as well. :) The rig in my sig has two 140 mm and one 200 mm case fans, plus the 360 AIO, and LEDs, and I came up well under 400 watts. I have plenty of headroom to OC CPU and GPU. I appreciate building for the future, but the price difference between a 750 watt and 550 watt, plus the heat, sent me to 550. If I get another card I can upgrade the PSU and sell the one I have. If I don't OC I can still get another RX 480 and just plug it in. :)

I just ran my build through PC Parts Picker and came up with 365 watts. If I add another GPU it's 515 watts.

edit: Removed erroneous info. Wasn't paying attention.

Last edited:
It's the engineer in me that wants the reserve capacity.

Plus, if the OP has a 400W load, the 850W PSU will be at it's sweet spot for efficiency.

:D

^that would be spending almost twice the money on the psu when it can go in a better GPU, a bigger SSD, a crate of beers...

Back