• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New user building a cheap gaming computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That PSU should be fine, I'm unsure 100% of the power draw of the 5770, but I'd imagine a 400W Corsair unit would be fine. Someone else who's more sure would need to chime in. If you do have a bit more in your budget, You could pick up something a bit bigger just in case the itch comes in to upgrade to a 5850 or something later on. Other than that, everything looks fine.

I don't agree with not going lg775. if anything you can get a solid dual core (e8400) and get a nice quad when the six cores start dominating the market. Its not like DDR2 memory is worthless, and by looking at the price he is paying for now, I personally don't see them upgrading for a while, and if they do, great, buy a nice used quad to go into the 775.

Software is soooo far behind the hardware is just stupid.

OP: 775, don't buy into the "future proofing" stuff, it'll only let you down.

IMO you can sang a very up-to-date gaming rig with at least the option to go from 4-16 gig of memory good video card, and quad core for <700

Why go 775 when he can afford better? That doesnt make sense to me. If you have a budget, spend it on the best you can afford. He still has the quad option (+4 more with HT) with S1156, and with with S1366, he has a six core option.

There is nothing wrong with S775, but I certainly wouldnt build new, with his apparent budget on that socket.

@ acard - I would at least go Corsair 550VX. That will allow for more headroom and a better single GPU down the road.

Sure if you can squeeze in to his budget which the only thing I saw was 667.00 I always have major issues trying to get a decent gaming system into that amount with I3/5/7s.

Plus, I'm a fighter when people say something is "dead" now a days :)

Sure if you can squeeze in to his budget which the only thing I saw was 667.00 I always have major issues trying to get a decent gaming system into that amount with I3/5/7s.

Plus, I'm a fighter when people say something is "dead" now a days :)

Both of my machines are 775s so I understand how well they still run today, but if someone is building from scratch I wouldn't recommend it as a platform.*

* The only way I would is if someone was on an ultra-conservative budget. I'd go the route of 775 via the Classifieds.

Buying new, you're going to come up with almost the same price going with an E8400 with 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM versus going with something like an i5 with 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM. There might be a $30 premium for the new tech, but that's a premium I'd pay.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I definitely like the PSU there. I see the point of having a solid one for future upgrades. I also see your point about the processor but it seems a little pricy just for a dual 3.0. Can anyone provide me with some links and a little more reason to switch processors or RAM or mobo? Still open to plenty of new thoughts! Thanks guys!

I don't agree with not going lg775. if anything you can get a solid dual core (e8400) and get a nice quad when the six cores start dominating the market. Its not like DDR2 memory is worthless, and by looking at the price he is paying for now, I personally don't see them upgrading for a while, and if they do, great, buy a nice used quad to go into the 775.

Software is soooo far behind the hardware is just stupid.

OP: 775, don't buy into the "future proofing" stuff, it'll only let you down.

IMO you can sang a very up-to-date gaming rig with at least the option to go from 4-16 gig of memory good video card, and quad core for <700

Don't get me wrong, S775 is still a great platform. But an i3 platform is better, for just about the same price. Hell, the build I picked out is cheaper than the S775 that was originally outlined in the original post. If building a whole new machine, there is no reason to go S775 over i3/i5 with a budget of $700.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I definitely like the PSU there. I see the point of having a solid one for future upgrades. I also see your point about the processor but it seems a little pricy just for a dual 3.0. Can anyone provide me with some links and a little more reason to switch processors or RAM or mobo? Still open to plenty of new thoughts! Thanks guys!
i5 750 is the quad option there but not sure if that breaks the bank.

Really, if this is only for gaming, a dual core is all you need now. In a year, you can upgrade to a quad on this same platform and be cherry for another couple years.

For gaming you don't need HT, so you could even go with the Pentium i3 at $90.
Only two threads, but that's what most games ask for anyway.

I would only go 775 if i were doing an extremely cheap build from used parts, clock for clock the i3's beat the 775 cpus, and new setup costs aren't that much more if you're getting halfway decent parts.

I definitely like the sound of the i3 because I'd love to upgrade to a quad or something later. Does anyone have any links for a good i3 for games? If it was around the price of the one I posted a little while ago that would be ideal, but I'm definitely willing to stretch a little.

I sort of don't agree with the guys that say games don't take advantage of quads. Games do actually get more FPS with quads, it's just the jump from two to four core isn't as big as the jump from one to two cores.

Stick with the i3 530 mentioned a few times. An amazing processor for the price. And that case is decent, but the Antec 300 is your best bet for a cheap case.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help! Any more suggestions on the RAM or other parts?

What about the mobo? Should I consider anything with USB 3.0? Or is it not worth it yet? Will that mobo handle anything more than DDR3 4 gigs of RAM?

if your goign for cheap gaming computer have a look at the Amd Athlon II X4 620,630 and 635

and im buying the Ga-MA785GT-UD3H it does ddr3 and amd3

Last edited:
if your goign for cheap gaming computer have a look at the Amd Athlon II X4 620,630 and 635

and im buying the Ga-MA785GT-UD3H it does ddr3 and amd3

So you would recommend DDR3? Does the mobo I posted work with the i3 processor and the DDR3 RAM I posted too? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I can't seem to figure out what will work with it.

Back