• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Newbie first computer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SWTOR, like any other game, is not RAM intensive. You don't need more than 8GB of RAM, you probably don't even need that much.

The GPU and motherboard have nothing to do with each other overclocking wise. If you want to overclock your CPU, then get a unlocked CPU and a Z77 board. If you don't want to overclock, then you can get a locked, cheaper CPU and get a B75 motherboard. Again, this does not have any effect on your GPU choice in any way.

what criteria do you use when you pick out a motherboard? how can you tell which ones are better then the others?

would you mind helping me with a new build / overclock setup?

single gpu amd radeon

i'll need to purchase a copy of windows

I would get the 7950 and use MSI afterburner to set 1000mhz core /1500 mhz memory. it will perform just as well as a 7970 at the same speeds. Its easy to use and does save you money. The difference between the 7950 and 7970 is the factory clock speeds

As far as CPU goes intels HASWELL is coming around june. I personally would wait for that and get an i7-4770k or and i5-4670k and put it on a z77 board. this would last you at least 4-5 years. DDR4 memory is coming in November is as well. Which would require a differenent MOBO and DDR4 is going to be much more beneficial the DDR3 was

^ swap out the single 8gb stick of Vengeance Ram for nothing. and i'm pretty sure you want the i5- 3570k **note the K** is the overclockable cpu.

what site is this? you might be able to get better pricing.

why three 120mm fans? what are they for?

I really would go with 7950. It has the same architecure as 7970. heres a link to show some bechmarks compairing the two stock and overclocked. Once you overclock spending the money on 7970 is practically pointless.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...ics-cards/amd-radeon-hd-7950-1058628/review/3

also you dont need the single 8gb stick of ram. I would go samsung 840 or intel for the SSD. And youll want more than 1 fan.

LX isn't that great of a board, and the cooler is the old, outdated design.

what board would you recommend? how can you differentiate between them?

one 120mm green on front
one 120mm on back
one 120mm on side

for water cooling which one should I go with?

I really would go with 7950. It has the same architecure as 7970. heres a link to show some bechmarks compairing the two stock and overclocked. Once you overclock spending the money on 7970 is practically pointless.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...ics-cards/amd-radeon-hd-7950-1058628/review/3

also you dont need the single 8gb stick of ram. I would go samsung 840 or intel for the SSD. And youll want more than 1 fan.

That review is almost a year old...outdated information.

LX isn't that great of a board, and the cooler is the old, outdated design.

that single stick comes with the mobo... it's free/there... I couldn't remove it

and i'll check that link out right now

that single stick comes with the mobo... it's free/there... I couldn't remove it

and i'll check that link out right now

Like I said, that link and any information in it is more than a year old. That's a LONG time in the tech world.

This information is from a few days ago.

perfrel_1920.gif

Also, you don't need extra fans, what the case comes with is plenty for cooling. You also don't need liquid cooling.

This is all you need to buy:
Capture.PNG
1.PNG

Last edited:
Like I said, that link and any information in it is more than a year old. That's a LONG time in the tech world.

This information is from a few days ago.

perfrel_1920.gif

Also, you don't need extra fans, what the case comes with is plenty for cooling. You also don't need liquid cooling.

This is all you need to buy:
View attachment 123923
View attachment 123924

These results however are factory clocked hardware. when you overclock everything changes

out of curiosity how do you know whether or not a rig needs liquid cooling over fan cooling? also... where do you find all of these awesome deals? is that newegg or tigerdirect?

thanks again!

These results however are factory clocked hardware. when you overclock everything changes

Really? I haven't seen any testing or benchmarks on the lastest drivers that support this. Yes you can overclock the 7950 to make that 10% up....and then you can overclock the 7970 to get 10% further ahead again. The 7950 probably offers more bang for your buck, but there is still a considerable performance difference between them. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it's a good choice for another person. I tend to avoid recommending CPUs and GPUs that I have used, for that reason, as personal opinion is a terrible metric of which to judge these components.

out of curiosity how do you know whether or not a rig needs liquid cooling over fan cooling? also... where do you find all of these awesome deals? is that newegg or tigerdirect?

thanks again!

There's no way to know for sure. Overclocking is very random, some chips are very good overclockers while others are bad overclockers. I know from experience and seeing results online that people with the Hyper212+ can usually achieve, on average, about 4.2GHz on Ivy Bridge CPUs. If this is an acceptable overclocking goal for you, the cooler is fine. The H100 you posted will give you better performance, yes. You might be able to overclock to 4.6-4.8GHz with that, depending on the quality of your chip. Getting anything above 4.5GHz, regardless of your cooling, gets much harder and increasingly more dependent on your random chance of getting a good clocking chip.

For case airflow, one or two intakes and one or two exhausts is PLENTY of airflow. Any quality case above $50 will have enough fans in it.

Last edited:
You only need liquid cooling if your extreme overclocking. that hyper 212 knufire recommends is great. it is big however. only downside.

Extreme overclocking is done with liquid nitrogen or dry ice, liquid cooling is still within very normal realms of overclocking. The H212 isn't big at all compared to some of the high end air heatsinks out there, it's only 164mm tall and rather skinny.

Extreme overclocking is done with liquid nitrogen or dry ice, liquid cooling is still within very normal realms of overclocking. The H212 isn't big at all compared to some of the high end air heatsinks out there, it's only 164mm tall and rather skinny.

Its 164mm tall 150mm wide and rather skinny. The width will hit ram and or heatsinks on some MOBOs. something to be aware of.

The width would hit it? On Intel, you typically run the heatsink in a left/right configuration with the fan blowing towards the back. That being said, once again, the H212 is not a big heatsink as far as air cooling goes and I've never seen anyone have clearance issues with it. Bigger heatsinks, of course, but not the 212.

Back