• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie looking for a simple way to volt mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delman

I was wondering if just changing the AGP voltage in the bios would yield the same results as if I were to volt mod the card itself?

Actually the AGP voltage in the BIOS is more related to the voltage sent to the NorthBridge, and does not affect the AGP card itself. By increasing that, you can stabalize the overall setup better sometimes. In order to give more vcore to the card itself, you need to vmod it. And yes, more volts = more heat.

Since thia question is been asked, I am just curios whats the default vagp. Some boards seem to boot my ati card at 1.5v for vagp and others at 1.6-1.7v.
Thanks

Sucka said:
Actually the AGP voltage in the BIOS is more related to the voltage sent to the NorthBridge, and does not affect the AGP card itself. By increasing that, you can stabalize the overall setup better sometimes. In order to give more vcore to the card itself, you need to vmod it. And yes, more volts = more heat.

Hrmm not exactly....raising the VAGP is directly raising the AGP slot voltage, generally hindering the overclock because of high heat. However, it does supply the NB and SB with SOME of their voltages, but the VAGP is not the NB or SB voltage.

-CaT

upping the vagp will give you more fsb stability for higher fsb. It's kind of like the voltage for the bus going to the AGP slot and so apparently it acts in a small way like vdd.

for example if you're running a 255 fsb and it restarts or freezes in 3DMark01 then the first thing you should up is vdd and if that doesn't help try vdimm and then try vagp. Don't go above 1.7V though. I've heard stories of people frying their cards by upping the vagp too much. Not sure on the truth of them but why take the chance lol.

Back