• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He's doing this with retail 2000+ heatsink... if he doesn't watch his temps he's heading straight for disaster.

$10 to $15 investment in a copper heatsink gets you 2.3 GHz average with what you now know is a T-Bred B, you realize that don't you?

I'm running a retail 2000+ heatsink. It is possible, but with a small risk of hot CPU ness. That's why I told him to watch his temps :cool:

The stock one will probably do for now, but a cooling upgrade is definitely next on my list of suggested parts.

Thermalright SK-7 is my choice for both him and I methinks, but extreme OC isn't what he was after. Maybe in time he will become addicted...

I'm back baby!!! Got the fsb at 166 multiplier to 11. Got a question...I have a setting in the bios to enable or disable auto detect dram/pci clk. which setting?

As you are running 166MHz which is the default for your RAM, it doesn't matter. Auto means your DRAM speed stays at 166MHz, but the FSB can vary. This offers lower performance compared to having the Dram clock autodetect disabled and forcing the RAM to run at the same speed as the FSB, often referred to as synchronous or sync operation.

Multi at 11x and temps = 45c are good. What core voltage are you using and have you Prime95'd it yet?

Stable at over 1800mhz!!! Woo-hoo!!!! I love you guys man...sniff,sniff. Not bad for a brand new $50 mobo and $60 chip with stock cooling:):)

Welcome to the world of AMD..... :D

Now, buy a $15 Thermalright SK-7 heatsink with a $10 Thermaltake smartfan II and crank it up another 600MHz :D

That is a very good question, I'm interested too. All summer long SK-7 was $15.99 and now we can't find it anywhere for anywhere near that amount.

I think there's an SK-700 now but that's $29.99 too.

It's the best heatsink though.

memnoch349 be sure to Prime95 Torture Test your final overclock.
Although you may be able to boot into Windows, it's got to pass the stability tests under stress...

Good luck and welcome.

To test the stability of overclocked CPU, download the latest bug fixed version of Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.

Just Stress Testing (if prompted) > OK >
Options > Torture Test > Blend (if prompted) > OK

The program should not give any errors.
It may be necessary to run the program 12-24 hours to make sure an overclocked system is stable (no program errors displayed).

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

The point of testing is to see if you get errors or not thus testing the stability. The meaning of errors themselves is not as important.

Running Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes is enough to get a feeling about general stability. If it seems to be stable, increase the FSB (with 0.025V Vcore increase if needed, not to exceed 1.8 volts), or increase the multiplier by 0.5.

Reboot and run Prime95 Torture Test for 5 to 30 minutes and repeat this until the Program displays errors.
It's then time to back down and repeat the Torture Test until there are no errors for at least 12 hours.

It's OK to use the computer while Prime95 Torture Test is running in the background.

Last edited:
To get to the o/c I'm at now, in the sig, it was a lot of trial and error. Be prepared to reset your CMOS often until you get the hang of what affects what. The slk-800a is also a good cooler. I got mine from svc.com. They have them listed at $28.95 but are currently out of stock.
I know what you mean about "I want it now", I also am a believer in instant gratification. You just have to learn to be patient. The best deals are found online and the best overclocking advice in the world is found right here in these forums!
Good luck! And,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Back