• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs to know where to start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yankee99

I am of course new and the forum is great! I did a couple small changes but my temp is very high so would appreciate some recommendations. I have all stock fans. 2 on the case, one for the psu and one on the amd. I hope these screen shots will help but i can take more if needed...

cpuidtemp1.jpg
cpuzcputab.jpg
cpuzmemorytab.jpg
cpuzspdtab.jpg
prime95.jpg

60c isn't too bad on a stock AMD cooler. What motherboard do you have?

The CPU temp that reads 70 is the motherboard cpu temp. They are usually off by up to 10 degrees in one direction or the other. The core temp is the one you want to worry about.

If your motherboard has heatsinks on the VRM then put a small fan right over the top of them and you will not only cool the VRM but the drop in VRM temp will cause the CPU to drop temp to. You could drop the temp as much as 10c

Check this thread out

The hotter your CPU and VRM the more temp you will drop by doing this. So good luck!

As in my sig the MB is a ASUS M5A88-V evo

Here is a pic if you can give some more detail as to where the extra fan should go?

thanks for the quick reply

873679_BB_00_FBEPS_1000.jpg

. . . The CPU temp that reads 70 is the motherboard cpu temp. They are usually off by up to 10 degrees in one direction or the other. The core temp is the one you want to worry about.

I agree that the core temp is the critical one if the sensor is calibrated reasonably accurately but I think most FX users have concluded they usually report core temps 10-15c on the cool side. I would therefore recommend looking at both with an eye to not letting the CUP socket reading exceed 70c and the core temp not exceed 60c.

Sorry it took so long to reply
IMG_0640.jpg

That little fan cools down the VRM a whole lot and cooling down the VRM means the CPU will be cooler as well. Since the VRM is what supplies the CPU with its power it also transfers its heat to the CPU via traces that connect the 2 together.

Doing this could drop your CPU temp anywhere from 4-10c the hotter your VRMs are right now the bigger the difference will end up being.

Back