• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Overclocking Fx 6300 Need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tedmann12

Registered
Hey guys,

I plan on overclocking my computer tomorrow (possibly tonight) and had a few questions.

I have never done this before, but here are my system specs:

FX 6300
8 GB DDR 1600 ram
Radeon R7 250 gpu
450w PSU

I just installed a Hyper 212 Evo Plus cooling fan.

Firstly, before I get started I wanted to know if 450w PSU is enough for overclocking this processor?

I plan on eventually upgrading my GPU, which I am guessing when I do that, along with my overclocked processor, I will need a new PSU.

Anyway, if any of you guys could give some basic tips to me before I get started that would really be appreciated. I plan on using this forum during the process as I have heard good things about the supportive community here.

Thank you in advance!

Also what motherboard will you be using to overclock. I'm on my phone so I can't see your sig but if you haven't done it yet make a sig similar to mine with all your system information.

My motherboard is a "GA-78LMT-S2" Does that sound right? I got that info from CPU-Z

I remember when I installed my Hyper 212 Evo, I was installing it onto an AM3+.

I'm not sure what brand of psu I have? How can I find that information without opening up the computer?

I would say just pull the side cover off and see what the psu says. Generally only takes a couple seconds to get the side off.

This is a pretty low end build in all aspects of spending money on a system to "overclock"

The PSU is no good. Find a nice Corsair 650 watter or something of the like, gold certified, bronze is ok, Platinum is best....

The board is going to need active cooling on the VRMs or they will thermal throttle the Cpu.

Now that you have a Hyper 212 installed, you may want to consider adding another fan to that heat sink to increase air flow and volume for better cooling results.

The first thing you need to do before overclocking is become familiar with the bios. You want to turn off any power saving features. Cool and quiet, C1E ect.

Then... You overclock via bios.

Multiplier or reference clock (200) one at a time and a little at a time. The EASIEST way to overclock is cpu multiplier only. This way it's limited to the processor only. If you use reference clock, it will overclock the entire system, HT, NB and Ram all together with the Cpu.

Yeah I bought the computer a few months ago on a pretty big budget.

Soon enough I will upgrade the GPU, which when I do that I will definitely get a new PSU.

But until then do you think I need a new PSU to overclock it?

Also, I'm having a hard time accessing my BIOS... I have windows 8 which I read uses UEFI which I can use to access bios, but mine does not have that option. When I start my computer it just loads so damn fast I don't even have a millionth of a second to press any button let alone read what button I need to press to open bios.

Nevermind, I got into Bios.

But do you guys suggest I don't even try overclocking until I get a new PSU?

Also when you say I need active cooling on my VRMs, what does that mean? I installed the Hyper 212, should I just add another fan to the heatsink and thats it?

Yeah I bought the computer a few months ago on a pretty big budget.

Soon enough I will upgrade the GPU, which when I do that I will definitely get a new PSU.

Also, I'm having a hard time accessing my BIOS... I have windows 8 which I read uses UEFI which I can use to access bios, but mine does not have that option. When I start my computer it just loads so damn fast I don't even have a millionth of a second to press any button let alone read what button I need to press to open bios.

power off.... power back on immediately and repeatedly hit the Delete key. In some cases it's F1 or F2.... depends on the board. I haven't fired up a Gigabyte board in some time now.....

I have a sister board very similar to yours, the Asus M5A78L (760G chipset), it overclocks quite well, but I do extreme cooling with it. 7ghz+ on LN2, so don't let any one tell you that board "can't" or "won't" overclock.

I wouldn't "trust" a 450w PSU to power an overclock. That Cpu will be pulling some good wattage once you start over-volting. My end answer for this question is YES.

EDIT: to clarify, a FX-8350 at 5ghz would be somewhere around 400w power consumption.

Ok cool,

I will wait then...

Regarding cooling, I have an Hyper 212 Evo with 1 push fan going into the heatsink. Do you think I need the second "pull" fan?

Also, once I get a new PSU, and upgrade my GPU, which I'm thinking I will get a Radeon R9 280, along with my FX 6300 Overclocked, that would give this computer a significant upgrade correct?

I definitely got this computer on a budget, but I really want to give it a big boost and am willing to spend some money. Does this all sound worth it, and how much "better" do you think it will be?

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

Ok cool,

I will wait then...

Regarding cooling, I have an Hyper 212 Evo with 1 push fan going into the heatsink. Do you think I need the second "pull" fan?

Also, once I get a new PSU, and upgrade my GPU, which I'm thinking I will get a Radeon R9 280, along with my FX 6300 Overclocked, that would give this computer a significant upgrade correct?

I definitely got this computer on a budget, but I really want to give it a big boost and am willing to spend some money. Does this all sound worth it, and how much "better" do you think it will be?

Thanks a lot for all the help guys.

More air flow the better. Yes add a fan to the Hyper for push/pull config! :thup:

The biggest boost you can get will be from that New R9 280. Much more powerful for gaming.

The second biggest thing to increase PC performance is running SSDs. If you have two of them, raid 0 for ultimate load times!

The Cpu overclock will not better your current gaming experience I'm afraid to say.

Ah nevermind, I guess you already said you suggest getting the second fan.

Do I just order those on amazon? I got my Hyper 212 Evo on amazon and it came with one of the fans. Are there any specific fans I should order?

Ah ok,

Haha I have been so caught up on the idea that overclocking will make my computer better for gaming. So what benefit would I get if I overclocked my computer?

Well you want a fan with High/er CFM if possible. You can order from anywhere, shop around. Noctua is a really good make of fans. To me, a fan is a fan as long as the CFM is high like 80cfm or better. Slap a fan controller on it to keep noise down when not overclocking or using heavy loads and spin the fans up when heavily loaded or overclocking.

Ok cool,

So, with my ****ty 450w PSU, say I skipped the overclocking and just got an R9 280, do you think I would still need to upgrade the PSU?

Ah ok,

Haha I have been so caught up on the idea that overclocking will make my computer better for gaming. So what benefit would I get if I overclocked my computer?

Ahhh the million dollar question!!! And glad you asked it!

What happens is you can increase computing performance by small percentages. Usually for people that benchmark or going for big numbers with Cpu-z like you see in my sig. 4ghz A64 K8 processor is not often heard of for example.

But even a small increase helps with all computing. In your case, that 250 is holding your gaming back far more than the Cpu.

Ok cool,

So, with my ****ty 450w PSU, say I skipped the overclocking and just got an R9 280, do you think I would still need to upgrade the PSU?

YES 100% replace that 450w unit. Keep it for testing old hardware you come across or something. To me it's useless. Build a steam box or HTPC low power rig with it or something.

Back