• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie to watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i would recommend atleast buying clamps for everyone connection (and also putting them on) but, if you go with 7/16" ID tubing, some won't use clamps everywhere, since its such a tight fit, or some will use just zipties. again, at the least, by enough. 12 feet is fine. will leave you with some extra

so you open the excel sheet. you are on the INTERFACE tab. at the top you see tubing. click inside the box of the diameter you are using, an arrow box will appear at the end of the box, click that, and select the number of feet from the drop down menu. repeat for every box.

on cpu: D-Tek Fuzion V2 Quad Nozzle
on gpu: Swiftech MCW 60
on rad: Switech MCR-320
Pump: now this one could have been confusing. the swfitech mcp655 is the Laing D5 Vario, setting 5, on that list, so select that.
reservoir: just choose one.

you are done!

now i dont know whats up wtih this version and all the "needs retesting" garbage. maybe an older version is more accurate, maybe they are the same.

My earlier download must have been broken, I can see all the stuff I'm planning on using now. Thanks for helping me with this.

Also, I was planning on doing all 1/2" tubing, that's inner diameter right? So I'd want 1/2 ID 5/8 OD tubes, right? Also, the reservoir has an option of coming with 1/2" metal Swiftech barbs so I was going to get those. Do I need barbs for anything else or do they all come with good 1/2" metal barbs?

Again, I have to thank you guys for your help, watercooling is one area where I'm almost totally ignorant, but you guys are helping a lot.

metal barbs arent necessary; they just look better than the plastic ones that accompany swiftech products.

as for what has barbs:
not sure if the fuzion comes with them. you will have to look at the product description and where you are purchasing from. they will often tell you.

i know the swfitech mcres and mcw60 will include plastic barbs, and while i dont know that the MCR320 does, I would assume that, just like other swiftech products, it includes plastic barbs as well. you should look into the product descrip and where you are buying it from more the MCR320.

the pump in and out are shaped into barbs, so no worries there.

as for your tubing.
you will either be 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
or
7/16" ID and 5/8" OD.

both of these will work on 1/2" barbs, with the latter offering a tighter fit.

i dont believe there is a 1/2"ID and 5/8" OD options.

metal barbs arent necessary; they just look better than the plastic ones that accompany swiftech products.

as for what has barbs:
not sure if the fuzion comes with them. you will have to look at the product description and where you are purchasing from. they will often tell you.

i know the swfitech mcres and mcw60 will include plastic barbs, and while i dont know that the MCR320 does, I would assume that, just like other swiftech products, it includes plastic barbs as well. you should look into the product descrip and where you are buying it from more the MCR320.

the pump in and out are shaped into barbs, so no worries there.

as for your tubing.
you will either be 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
or
7/16" ID and 5/8" OD.

both of these will work on 1/2" barbs, with the latter offering a tighter fit.

i dont believe there is a 1/2"ID and 5/8" OD options.

This is what I was looking at that was 1/2 ID 5/8 OD: http://jab-tech.com/ClearFLEX-60-Tubing-1-2-ID-5-8-OD-pr-2829.html

Do pet stores sell biocide that I can put in my loop or will Hydrx do an alright job for that? I was planning on buying everything from jab-tech and they don't sell Petra's pt-nuke.

I wouldn't use hydrx at all. If you don't have mixed metals (you don't with that list) than you don't need the anticorrosive properties of radiator fluid. Hydrx doesn't stop algae growth. Get biocide. If you like the color, dyes are suggested (I haven't ever used them).

I just use distilled and Iodine. If I get a hair up my A#$ and want to color the water, I'll add some toyota antifreeze for red or other fluid for green.

Only Non-alcohol iodine! I think it's called ..... grr... Provodone????? Read the bottle, no alcohol or it will destroy acrylic parts.

Small parts you order. DOUBLE CHECK QUANTITIES, no problem if you order a few too many clamps or fittings. Hate to see you one short and have to pay shipping for one tiny part. It's not uncommon for first timers to be short something.

Ohh, Thermal paste? You get enough for the remounting if you need to? One tube is enough, nice to have two. I use MX-2 , but AS5 etc is okay too.

thermal pastes.
now, i like to keep as5, mx-2 and arctic ceramique on hand. only down to as5 is its conducive. just started using the mx-2 and i am impressed.

tubing:
i cant access jab-tech.. dang school network. either way, if it exists, then it shouldnt be a problem. i had just never heard of it.

Hydrx DOES have biocide. One container per liter is the mix. my loop used just under a liter. now I would recommend just using a biocide and only use Hydrx if you want the green color. I went with hydrx because pt-nuke, a biocide, was sold out. You can also pick up a biocide from a pet store.

and conumdrum is right. double check everything! i did my first build while living in my college dorm, so i didnt have a car or access to hardware stores, etc. meaning, i was compltely dependent on online retailers. well when all my hardware arrived, i realized that my yate loon fans have closed corners, meaning i would need longer screws to mount them to my rad. well, I had to go and order them from Petras. took two days using USPS (i was shocked since it traveled from Cali to Maryland). either way, anxious to run my system, I ended up taping the fans on. BIG NO NO! two fell off, onto a cluttered desk, something wedge in the blade, and bam, broken! lol. so i got the screws, but then had to make another order for more fans :(. just an example

now i am going to try to get back to studying for my last exam tomorrow. ah the distractions.

Back