• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg and DHL SmartMail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atomic Dawg

I ordered a CORSAIR Flash Voyager 16GB USB flash drive from Newegg yesterday. (killer deal w/ promo code) Every time I have ordered from Newegg in the morning, it has always come the next day when it ships from La Puente, CA. I'm located in Anaheim, CA. I placed my order at 10:50 AM and Newegg had a status of "shipped" by the end of the day.

Well, there's a first time for everything. This is the first time I didn't get my order "next day". It's also the first time I've ordered something from Newegg that was sent DHL SmartMail. DHL SmartMail doesn't seem to be too smart. I can't track it through Newegg or DHL's site.

I know... I know... It said 3-7 days shipping when I ordered it. And yes, I would like some cheese and crackers with my whine. :)

All I've got to say is it better show up tomorrow. I'll let you guys know!

I had the same problem with some RAM last week. The tracking code Newegg gives you is wrong, as it doesn't work on DHL's site and I've asked them about it. After your tracking says "shipped" on newegg, they sorta stop updating the tracking and telling you where it is.

DHL smart mail will be delivered by USPS .. UPS and FedEx also have a similar kind of service and they all suck.:santa2:

Basically DHL pickup the package and route it to wherever your post office is and they deliver it there.. Then you mail carrier will deliver it to your house.. I had a router sit 10 miles from me for 4 days.

What's ironic of course is that the USPS already piggybacks off of FedEx for any movement of parcels that can't be done by truck. You'd think Smartpost would be a little better implemented since they're doing the same thing just about.

Be prepared to wait a long time. Whenever Woot ships crap to me Smartpost, it takes a minimum of 2 weeks to arrive.

Their shipping icon is appropriate:
smartposticon-2.gif

Yep, you are screwed!:eek: I used to get stuff from NewEgg in Memphis pretty much next day. With the 'smartmail' junk, it took a week. Due to the lovely experience I had with newegg's customer service, I started shopping elsewhere.

Its so sad that a lot of neweggs "free shipping" deals are no longer shipped via the FedEx Express Saver. That service was the best!

I can now track my package up to the point where DHL gave it to USPS. Here's what the tracking looks like on Newegg's site:

DHL Tracking.png

It looks like somtimes you need to go backwards in order to go forwards.

A = Newegg warehouse
B = USPS / DHL
C = My house​

DHL Smartmail.png

Newegg has been spoiling me all these years! I want my USB flash drive now! :cry:

Wow you're close too bad there's no pickup option. I got something small by this service a few months ago, normally UPS ground comes to me next day from the NJ warehouse, this one arrived on a Tuesday after being ordered Thursday night. Not bad really and about comparable to UPS ground from other places I just happen to get things fast from the NJ warehouse. I understand why they offer this as the free shipping option on small items after all the transportation cost increases through the summer but I also don't get why they don't do straight USPS...First Class cross-country only takes like 3 days.

It is a strange way to ship. My Zip code got messed up somewhere along the way, I think that delayed mine a day or two. NewEgg had me spoiled. With regular UPS I got stuff the next day if it shipped from Memphis!

I got a question, when it says free shipping, does it not say UPS 3 day anymore? does there invoice actually state DHL smartpost?

It states what kind of shipping they are going to use. I just did not think anything of it, I figured the mail might be a day slower. But it took a lot longer.:shrug:

Like I said, they had me spoiled with that free next day stuff!

Dear Customer,

Thanks for taking the time to post your informative review. We greatly apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact Alex at 800-390-1119 ( dial 25040 immediately ) or by email at [email protected] for further assistance.

I have had two orders from newegg come by DHL and both took 7 working days plus the weekends.Even though its free shipping its not worth it.Both times DHL was the carrier it was a mistake on my part.I didnt notice it was DHL.I will always choose to pay for shipping from newegg if the free shipping is through DHL

Last edited:
smartmail sux ... what it is, is dhl (fedex also offers a variation called smartpost) picks up from the shipper and delivers to your local USPS mail distribution center from whence it is delivered to your door by USPS ... it is clumsy, inefficient and once delivered to USPS, untrackable ... it is only "smart" for the shipper as it is dirt cheap ... the stories i could tell you are mind boggling at how screwed up and inefficient this program is

Last edited:
smartmail sux ... what it is, is dhl (fedex also offers a variation called smartpost) picks up from the shipper and delivers to you local USPS mail distribution center from whence it is delivered to your door by USPS ... it is clumsy, inefficient and once delivered to USPS, untrackable ... it is only "smart" for the shipper as it is dirt cheap
You got that right.

for what its worth it's supposed to be 7 days ... however, in 1 particular instance that i can cite the package was shipped from tempe az to (i beleive) las vegas nv, 30 days later was located in anchorage ... btw, this was for meds

Back