• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Just Got Shady On Me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I prefer to pick up my cables from Monoprice. 1) they are located 5 mi from me 2) i save money on shipping 3) they have some sweet Latin eye candy working there:clap:.

I have started to use newegg less and less. They used to be my go to site but now they are just like everyone else, I have a list of 6-8 sites I like and just go with the lowest bidder. Since they switched to eggsaver there quick shipping went down the toilet. More times than not I end up going through amazon.

Oh, and another vote for monoprice. I have placed two orders with them, one for four ten foot HDMI cables they had on special for $17 shipped for the lot and I just got my second for some CAT6 cable. Highly recommended.

I have started to use newegg less and less. They used to be my go to site but now they are just like everyone else, I have a list of 6-8 sites I like and just go with the lowest bidder. Since they switched to eggsaver there quick shipping went down the toilet. More times than not I end up going through amazon.

Oh, and another vote for monoprice. I have placed two orders with them, one for four ten foot HDMI cables they had on special for $17 shipped for the lot and I just got my second for some CAT6 cable. Highly recommended.

What a coincidence; I just ordered a bunch of CAT6 cables from Monoprice on the 30th, should be here any day. (As you can see, they dont kill you with shipping :) )

I was in Radioshack the other day, their cheapest cat5 cable was $9.99 I told the guy thats a bit high for a 5' cat5 cable, he said where is it cheaper?

I walked over to the computer hooked up as a demo in the middle of the store and went straight to Monoprice. I then bookmarked the site on that computer and left :beer:

Attachments

• Mono cat6.jpg
    Mono cat6.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 185
In Newegg's defense, you should check your credit card's ratio. Right now, with all the Credit industry's self imposed stupidity, they've decided to throw the consumer under the bus even more. Even if you have a $10,000 limit, and by the end of the month have a $7000 balance, if you don't pay off enough (have a good debt to payment ratio when compared to your limit : balance ratio - that's Citibank and AMEX's explanation), they'll decline just about everything except bills. This happened to me last month. I could pay for a $200 bill but not a $5 sandwich :rolleyes:. I went ahead and made a $300 payment and then everything was hunky dory. Mind you, I ALWAYS pay my bill in full and on time. I just have a ridiculously silly ratio requirement because my card's limit is $1600.

I really don't think the black helicopters need to come out on this one ;).

What a coincidence; I just ordered a bunch of CAT6 cables from Monoprice on the 30th, should be here any day. (As you can see, they dont kill you with shipping :) )

I was in Radioshack the other day, their cheapest cat5 cable was $9.99 I told the guy thats a bit high for a 5' cat5 cable, he said where is it cheaper?

I walked over to the computer hooked up as a demo in the middle of the store and went straight to Monoprice. I then bookmarked the site on that computer and left :beer:

While i partially agree about Radioshack being high, $9.99 isn't terrible whne you can walk in, buy it, and walk out. Remember, its two completely different business models. B&M is mostly limited to its surrounding population. Web stores, can have customers around the world if they choose to ship international. Web stores have the volume to sell for nothing, B&M just doenst have that advantage.

Pretty soon, there wont be any B&M stores at the current rate.

For the OP, if he entered bad info or did not have funds in his account, it would have failed immediately.

This is obviously an issue newegg is having.

The transaction did not fail immediatly and I was sent to the Visa authorization site. That means everything was good on my end. If it had been bad info, I would not have been redirected to that site.

I agree, if you're not buying your HDMI cables at Monoprice, imho, your making a mistake. :beer:

Monoprice HDMI cable prices cannot be beat and the quality of some of the 24AWG Certified HDMI cables I know cannot be beat in price and the quality is top shelf.

Usually when I help friends with their HDTV HDMI cable needs. I tell them to get this one for $6.97 and for myself I use this and this (The second one is very thick and very sweet, if you have tight radius bends, this is not the cable for you. If you compare the 2nd one that costs $15 to a comparable BestBuy or Radio Shack offering, you will see them charging $50-$100 for a similar cable not even on par with Monoprices $15 cable.

If you have really tight bend radius, then the 'in wall' cables may not be the best choice, in that case this under $5 HDMI cable would be a good choice. Surely better than Neweggs $5 hdmi cable and Monoprice doesn't kill you on shipping and they ship quick.

Thanks Sam, that turned out to be the exact cable that I purchased not knowing it was the one you recommended. Good taste man, good taste. :beer:

In Newegg's defense, you should check your credit card's ratio. Right now, with all the Credit industry's self imposed stupidity, they've decided to throw the consumer under the bus even more. Even if you have a $10,000 limit, and by the end of the month have a $7000 balance, if you don't pay off enough (have a good debt to payment ratio when compared to your limit : balance ratio - that's Citibank and AMEX's explanation), they'll decline just about everything except bills. This happened to me last month. I could pay for a $200 bill but not a $5 sandwich :rolleyes:. I went ahead and made a $300 payment and then everything was hunky dory. Mind you, I ALWAYS pay my bill in full and on time. I just have a ridiculously silly ratio requirement because my card's limit is $1600.

I really don't think the black helicopters need to come out on this one ;).

A credit card was not used and there was plenty of funds in my account to cover this transation.

While i partially agree about Radioshack being high, $9.99 isn't terrible whne you can walk in, buy it, and walk out. Remember, its two completely different business models. B&M is mostly limited to its surrounding population. Web stores, can have customers around the world if they choose to ship international. Web stores have the volume to sell for nothing, B&M just doenst have that advantage.

Pretty soon, there wont be any B&M stores at the current rate.

Well if they want to survive, they better start being competetive wouldn't you say?

PS, $9.99 was RadioShacks cheapest price on a short, cheap cat5 cable and it was their basic no frills cable, they went up into ridiculous prices for the others. Just take a look at RadioShack's HDMI cables to really see how none competitive they are.
Their cheapest in store HDMI cable is $34.99 (Monoprices $6 cable is vastly superior) Radioshack also sells a 75' HDMI cable for $699 plus tax

You can get 75 feet of 22awg HDMI cable for $89 or 131 feet of 24AWG cable for $148 at Monoprice.

I was there yesterday in a small RadioShack in a strip mall to pick up a xD card reader for the Olympus D-630 Zoom I got on Ebay for $12.99 (was a buy it now, the seller must have lost his mind), inside the small Radioshack there was one customer and four clerks. Now I see why they need to sell HDMI cables for over seven hundred dollars. :screwy:

If you think that you can open a B&M store, sell cables to the surrounding population at monoprice prices, stay in business, then i challenge you to do so. Like i said, i know Ratshack is high on things, but $10 for a network cable isnt bad. Anyone who buys a $700 HDMI cable without checking around is nuts, and deserves what they get.

Again for the prices on most things, these are two entirely different business models. B&M's, by their very nature require more profit on goods to stay open, as their customer base is much smaller, and therefore their sales volume is smaller as well. There is no such thing as a B&M matching places like monoprice and staying in business.

Back