• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg purchase: shipping from the other side of the planet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Maybe it's just me, but when I buy components for computers, it usually means that I have a project underway.

There is a level of anticipation, excitement over purchasing an item, and there's nothing better than getting it fast.

Of course, your excitement is dashed to bits, when it becomes apparent that you will be waiting 14 to 18 days unexpectedly,

because even though you selected the "ship from" country :

View attachment 192993

....it's still gonna come from China! :mad:

I sent Newegg a cancel order & refund-payment nasty-gram, and asked them un-politely

to please do a better job of alerting buyers that an item will likely take all month to arrive.

This is the second time I've canceled a Newegg purchase(in recent times) because of overly long shipping times.

They have become more like amazon over the years letting non newegg sellers on the site
As S_I_N already mentioned just buy from sold and shipped by newegg only and it will come from one of their 3 US warehouses (CA/TN/NJ)

this is why I only purcahse items sold and shipped by newegg you have to watch the small print

Too bad a buyer has to set that parameter for every purchase item search, a permanent feature in the user settings(for example) would be a welcome improvement.

Agreed but I don't set it I just read the description around the price it's pretty easy to see on desktop but if mobile it may not be as easy

They have become more like amazon over the years letting non newegg sellers on the site
As S_I_N already mentioned just buy from sold and shipped by newegg only and it will come from one of their 3 US warehouses (CA/TN/NJ)

Having non-Newegg sellers on the NE site has muddied the waters considerably. Time to just go Newegg only, for purchases.

Ive ordered plenty of stuff from china, the norm is 2-4 weeks, one time it was 2 months...

Select "from newegg only" and that problem goes away. I think that is including 3rd party. If you want it from newegg, setup your newegg page that way. ;)

Select "from newegg only" and that problem goes away. I think that is including 3rd party. If you want it from newegg, setup your newegg page that way. ;)

Yep, going to def be "newegg only" from now on. As I mentioned, too bad there isn't a permanent choice setting in the user's CP.

Yeah I only select from Newegg because if I wanted everyone else I'd probably go to Amazon or other places. I go to Newegg for Newegg products and shipping times and customer service.

Though China... wow. Was there a big discount from selecting them vs state side?

Yeah I only select from Newegg because if I wanted everyone else I'd probably go to Amazon or other places. I go to Newegg for Newegg products and shipping times and customer service.

Though China... wow. Was there a big discount from selecting them vs state side?

In a lot of cases, if you sort by "priced lowest" in that product catagory you'll see those coming from China / Hong Kong listed.

I'm OK with purchases coming from China / Hong Kong, there's 2 conditions that set me off:

If I didn't notice where the item was , and if I wanted it/needed it right away. It's totally my fault for not making a conscious effort of looking...won't happen again.

I dont shop newegg so I am not certain but I am willing to bet the free shipping only kicks in if your order is over "X" amount. Ive fumed over that one myself a few times. And then when you plan ahead to do a conglomerate order (just to make sure you hit "X" amount) then not all your items qualify or some other bs....

I satisfy myself with the knowledge that most of tge things I order online aren't even available locally or would come at a *steep* and I do mean steep, premium. But Im just frugal like that :D

Simple typo...web site bork. Reach out to newegg support... simple.

Neweeg doesnt have a minimum for free shipping. If it says free shipping, its free shipping.

I dont shop newegg so I am not certain but I am willing to bet the free shipping only kicks in if your order is over "X" amount. Ive fumed over that one myself a few times. And then when you plan ahead to do a conglomerate order (just to make sure you hit "X" amount) then not all your items qualify or some other bs....

I satisfy myself with the knowledge that most of tge things I order online aren't even available locally or would come at a *steep* and I do mean steep, premium. But Im just frugal like that :D

That is a common practice, but is usually indicated explicitly up-front:

View attachment 193079

Simple typo...web site bork. Reach out to newegg support... simple.

Neweeg doesnt have a minimum for free shipping. If it says free shipping, its free shipping.

Yes, Newegg either says free shipping, or explicitly lists shipping options.

Typo, website bork? Maybe I should contact Newegg and point out the malfunction, it seems to be persistent.

Many many retail websites have such "borks", which coincidentally are never errors that benefit the customer.

BTW, I'm not here to 'beat up' on Newegg, been a regular customer for 15 years. However, I do recognize retail tactics, and don't put any store on a pedestal.

What would you like is to say? Let them know, it will be corrected.

As the two screenshots show(post #13), the 'free shipping' goes away once the item is placed in the Shopping Cart. I checked several other items, and the same thing occurred.

Perhaps the common denominator is very low priced items(under $2) and shipping internationally.

I think most would agree that Shopping Cart 'surprises' have the appearance of being a deceptive practice. I would prefer to view such as being an innocent mistake but....

I'll shoot them a message, and see what the response is.

Im sure the reason is less dubious than what it may look like. Let us know what they say why it does that.
:)

That's how Amazon has gotten a lot of my business (and money, LOL). Amazon Prime. What I've saved in shipping, plus the free movies, has more than paid for my membership.

Back