• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg's Eggxpert Review Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've noticed that too, it seems they go out of their way to downvote your review as well as everybody else's who has the eggxpert tag
I know a amazon vine member irl, he just gets ebooks and cheap junk to review (usually less then $5)

I tried to get in contact with them again and no go, have no idea whats going on :/
not replying in emails, and live support is clueless

I don't know if it's the same with you eggxpert guys, but I've had a good number of short 1-2 sentence reviews done simply for the sake of reviewing a product get more "helpful" votes than those I actually put time into. And I'm talking about comparatively popular products, not like a short review on my 670 and then a long review on some random HDMI cable.

I guess reading is hard for some :D

Without a real, calibrated, adjustable load and a real oscilloscope at the bare minimum, PSU "reviews" are worse than useless.

Look at all the good reviews the Logisys PSUs have gotten because people are "happy" with them a week after purchase (and a month before the PSU destroys their GPU, CPU, motherboard, RAM, HDD, dog, neighbor, wife, and goldfish).
Any PSU Logisys "makes" (read: slaps a label on) is guaranteed to be absolute junk, if not a downright fire hazard.
Yet they have plenty of good reviews, because nobody who "reviews" them can actually test them.

Would you review a pie recipe by looking at the pie after baking it, without actually smelling or tasting said pie? That's a decent equivalent to PSU reviews without the proper equipment.
Or even better, writing a review on a car based someone driving it 100' in a straight line at 10mph with you standing at the 50' mark.
Not useful, unless the car actually bursts into flames on the spot.

Personally, as a (former) semi-professional reviewer and a reviewer of PSUs, I find the program to be genuinely offensive, and would dearly love to see it shut down.

The reviewing is just to get a idea of what is good or bad, however it does not work for PSU.:D

It could work with PSUs in some cases. If they send out 100 PSUs and 50 eggxperts say it turned their PC into a toaster, I don't need someone poking it with an oscilloscope to tell me I don't want it in my house :D

(Don't worry, not saying they shouldn't be tested by someone who knows what (s)he is doing.)

I'm really having a hard time understanding why there seems to be an issue with people getting hung up on reviewing a PSU. I don't think there is any expectation that a newegg (or amazon, or frys, or tiger direct) review is going to contain review copy that could be printed in PSU Quarterly. People look at reviews on those sites to gauge the overall perceived quality and and if they met the consumers expectations or performance requirements.

Does the PSU produce coil whine or have a very noisy fan? Are the connectors cheap or did they include the right adapters? Did it power up your tri-SLI rig and game 24 hours without an issue? These are the questions people buying want answers to. Anyone who actually knows what it takes to properly test a power supply and is concerned with finding that information is going to take 5 seconds to google it.

And not to pick an internet fight, but Bobnova, you really think the entire program should be shut down over that? Would your opinion be different if you were the one being shipped Hard drives, SSD's, motherboards, cameras, power supplies, all free of charge and yours to keep in exchange for your opinion in 3,000 words? Just sayin'

If you don't want to read the whole post, skip to the next bold section.

Can you tell the difference between a good connector and a bad connector?
Can you tell the difference between a PSU that will run a PC for a week then kill it and a PSU that will run a PC for five years and shut down peacefully?
Those are the differences real reviews are for. The majority of the truly crap PSUs on Newegg will turn a PC on. They may even run it for a while. But all you have to do is look at the $60 1000w PSU reviews, there are a lot of positive reviews for PSUs that blow up at the 450w mark.
Not useful.

As a note, I was one of the people being sent PSUs, GPUs, SSDs, motherboards, etc. in return for 2000-5000 words. http://www.overclockers.com/author/bobnova
Newegg "reviews" can't even be 3000 words, they're length limited to a hell of a lot shorter than that. As a note, never ever call it "free". Reviewing is a lot of work. The average real PSU review took me between 5 and 8 hours, on test equipment that cost a decent chunk of money and took another dozen hours to make (or, if you buy premade, $2000 to $14,000). That's the same five to eight hours for a unit that I could sell for $200 (really, really, really, really rare), as a unit I could sell for $90 (more common), as a unit I could sell for $40 (most common), and as for a unit I could not sell at all.
Before I got involved in reviewing, I shared your viewpoint on reviewers. It was my opinion that the reviewers that complained or weren't completely enthusiastic were a bunch of whiny *******. Now however, I am one of them, and I understand. It is a complete pain in the rear. Enough of one that I told all the sites and manufacturers that I was working for and with to stop sending me stuff. Think about that for a moment.
That, or go spend 45 minutes taking and resizing pictures, an hour and a half sitting in a cold room and/or with really noisy fans taking voltage readings with a multimeter and looking at a scope picture, an hour inserting and captioning the pictures you took and resized earlier, another hour taking apart a PSU that will almost certainly cut you somewhere and identifying all the parts and taking more pictures and trying not to do any damage to it, and two hours writing about something you've already written about a dozen times (this is my average PSU review. If the PSU did something interesting, it was longer). Then spend another 15 minutes (or an hour, if it's a be quiet! Dark Power Pro) putting the PSU back together, another 30 minutes re-testing it to make sure you didn't kill it, ten minutes making a classified/etc. listing, and a month or so waiting for someone to buy it for a profit after shipping of $50.
Then let me know how "free" the review items for real reviewers are.

If the average reviews were actually useful reviews, which a decent number of people in this thread go to some effort to make (which I appreciate!) it'd be one thing, but the average reviews are not useful.
Some of them, such as positive reviews for fire hazard PSUs, are downright unhelpful bordering on dangerous.

TL-DR section on PSU reviews:
"Overall perceived quality" makes for a crap review. "Actual quality" makes for a good review. Without proper tools or at the very least significant knowledge and pulling the PSU apart (a hazardous endeavor) it is simply not possible to gauge the difference between a genuinely good PSU and a well disguised crap PSU.
I, at this point, could do a look-at-it-and-turn-it-on review and tell you if a PSU is crap. I cannot do a look-at-it-and-turn-it-on review and tell you it is good. I can tell you that it might be good, based on X Y and Z, but I have sitting right next to me three PSUs that look great, have great components from good companies, and are on a totally reasonable platform, that have ripple over ten times the amount allowed by the ATX specifications in certain conditions. Hit one of those conditions with one of these units powering your PC and your PC is going to die.
How do I know? Dedicated test equipment and careful testing. There is no other way.

So yes, I do think that the program should be shut down, and now you know why.

I can certainly appreciate your point of view and the amount of work it takes to properly and scientifically test equipment. On this matter though I think we will have to settle on agreeing to disagree. I don't think your average NewEgg shopper is looking for this type of information when spot checking reviews before buying something, and there isn't an expectation that our reviews should meet professional standards by any means.

Now I certainly do the very best that I can, and when the typical review reads like a YouTube comment it's not hard to beat. I give very practical opinions on the products I receive and answer questions I would be asking if I was buying the item. I'm not nor do I claim to be a professional product reviewer, but I am the go to guy for anything IT related by my friends and family (probably like a lot of people here) and they value my opinion in that field. If I can help someone make a little bit more informed decision before buying then it's a win in my book.

I don't think your average NewEgg shopper is looking for this type of information when spot checking reviews before buying something
Its not the fact of what they are looking for. Its the fact that it is a disservice to turn the thing on and say it works when the reality is, the thing is a POS. But because nobody actually tests it, nobody knows. But because you turned it on and worked, people think its fine. Its not.

and there isn't an expectation that our reviews should meet professional standards by any means.
You are spot on here, and this is where a lot of people (in the know) have a problem. I do not like that program at all either and also wish it not to exist for this exact reason. It is actually a disservice to those buying a product like a PSU which has not been reviewed properly. There is nothing someone that is not trained to do this stuff can provide to even a newegg user to help make an informed decision.

The average newegg buyer doesn't know what they're doing. If they did, they wouldn't be reading newegg reviews. They would be reading real reviews on real review sites.
Hence, they will believe the good reviews on fire hazard power supplies.
Hell if they had even the faintest idea what they were doing, they wouldn't even click a Logisys PSU in the first place.

I feel like my points were reiterated in both of your replies (someone who actually knows anything will trust real review sites), and overall perceived quality is a majority of the reviews on any e-retailer site. If someone turns the item on and it works fine for them in their scenario then their review will be positive overall, even if the item is a POS, but that's a relative term in computer components. Being faulty by design and having underwhelming performance are two different things.

What it boils down to is the reviews on those sites is an aggregate of consumer experience. Are the 5 star reviews on a Logisys PSU made by someone who has no clue? Sure, I wouldn't doubt it. But the overall rating of 2 out 5 stars tells you everything you need to know to avoid it.

The argument you make about the requirements for testing a PSU, I concur whole heatedly. However, if you carry that line of thinking into other products, no one is qualified to test really anything? Can you properly test a GPU, a DSLR Camera, a motherboard? If you can't give your opinion on the PSU you bought, then I guess you can't have an opinion on anything else, which is all these reviews are.

The program is a clone of Amazon Vine and straight from their site is this "Amazon Vine invites the most trusted reviewers on Amazon to post opinions about new and pre-release items to help their fellow customers make informed purchase decisions." That's all it is is opinion, it's not a professional review. It is certainly not perfect, but I would buy an all 5 star item over a 2 star item any day if I was unable to do any other research.

Anyway, I appreciate both of your inputs and from coming at it intelligently rather than a flame war.

I think you mean four stars: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817170018
Better than some genuinely excellent units.
Would you buy that one, or the genuinely good unit that only has 3 stars because people think it's too expensive and/or the wrong color?

As to the difference between underwhelming performance and faulty by design, this is true, but also irrelevant to what I'm talking about IMO.
The products I'm talking about have crap performance by design and are faulty by design. There is no positive to them, unless you're recommending them to your enemies of course.

I guess what it comes down to is the blind leading the blind, or to take a more proverbish approach, the emperor's nose.

When you plug a Logisys PSU in and it runs your computer, it's not actually working, it's lurking biding it's time before it destroys everything plugged into it and makes an assault on your home wiring.

I want opinions on keyboard feel and noise. I want opinions on mouse feel and function. I want fact on GPU cooling and functionality, and I want fact on PSU lethality.

I'm fine with people buying the crap PSUs and posting their experience. That is very different in my mind to people being sent the items by Newegg to review and posting their uninformed inaccurate opinions as reviews.
It's along the same lines as most website's "PSU reviews" that take pictures of it and call it good, or plug a $20 "PSU tester" in and base their review off that.

I guess the question is, do we try to help people to make good decisions (and thus, not post opinions as reviews on PSUs), or do we ignore it and say "LOL SHOULD HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH! GOOD LUCK WITH THE HOUSE HUNT!" when it explodes and burns their house down?
I'd like to think that there is enough human decency that people would want to help, but then again newegg is an internet business and the internet is a generally hostile place, so what the hell.

Logisys was an EXAMPLE... ;)

I guess what it comes down to is the blind leading the blind, or to take a more proverbish approach, the emperor's nose.
LOL, I said that when this thread first started in fact!

A wonderful example! Lots of stars, lovely specs.
How's the power quality? Will it actually put out the 750 watts it says it will without exploding? How's the regulation under load? Does it have proper input EMI filtering so it won't muck with other devices plugged into the same circuit? Soldering quality good enough that it won't arc internally after a while?
These are the important questions about a power supply.

In case you're wondering, here's a quick rundown, not that I've ever held one in my hands, this is just based on the pictures and a bit of knowledge.
It's built by CWT, uses third tier capacitors (maybe one second tier cap for the primary, it's too hidden to ID via pictures), will probably manage its claimed 750w, and likely has ripple within spec. It has a functional EMI filter as well. Soldering is probably decent, but not great. I give it a 75% chance of having at least one lead that is too long.
It is, in short a viable choice, if not a great one.

Gigabyte Z97X Force LGA 1150 mobo on its way, I was thinking of upgrading my desktop anyway :)

Back