• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg's new arrival: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll probably pay about $1200 USD :(

Better than the poor Aussies though, they're paying over $1600 USD :shock:

That's pretty expensive. Now that the Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition is out what's next for Intel? Will they make a less expensive i7 32nm and what will it have?

I'll pick one up in Tokyo this weekend :beer:
I just found out all retail shipments in Japan have been delayed :( So I ordered one through CompUSA instead (without crappy Bing :mad:)

Anyway, does anyone know if Intel plans to only produce them in limited numbers (like a thousand) or if it is just going to be somewhat difficult to due to low quantities available?
This will be a normal production model, they're producing them as fast as they can :)

As this 6 cores version is the "tick", I hope Intel would have an affordable "tock" version for the mainstream real soon. :santa: maybe Christmas? :santa:

No .. even if it came to MSRP still would not thin kit is worth it

Especially since ... well historically Intel extreme chips are NEVER worth it

EDIT: if you have to have globals now.. guess there is no choice.. but you are unfortunately competeing against people that have had good ES chips since forever.... BS
(I hate the bot sometimes)

Intel needs to produce a mainstream 6 core CPU for the masses and the retailers! I hope they make one at an affordable price. $1000 for a CPU is out of my range. I'll just keep my i5 750 and mosey on down the road. Happy trials.

I just ordered a combo from NE. I imagine they are selling them like that so that you have a board that has a bios version that supports booting it too. You gotta remember that it's only the newest bios versions that support these procs. And since I held off going to LGA1366 until now, I would have had to buy a board anyways (ram too, since I only have DDR2 systems at the house).

As for the cost, the last proc I bought for my main system was my QX9650 and that was over 2 years ago. So breaking down the cost over the time I have owned it, it's less than $500/year. And I wouldn't have gone for this upgrade yet except for the 6 cores as I still find the old QX system to be nice and snappy still.;) But this new proc should be a Rosetta crunching beast. :salute: And should do some nice benching too (I hope).

Of course they will drop in price, its just the way this stuff works give it a year and it'll be in reach of just about everyone.

Back