• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] Apple vs Microsoft- Who's the Copycat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

MS always gets blamed for copying Apple... and Apple always seems to be braned the innovator of everything....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/macosx_leopard_preview.asp

Sure Paul is often reporting on Windows, but it bashes it as much as praisies it..

Apple Mac OS X Leopard Preview: Who's the Copycat Now?

Sometimes I wonder how Apple CEO Steve Jobs can sleep at night. He appears to spend half his waking hours ridiculing Microsoft's admittedly behind-schedule operating system, Windows Vista, for copying Mac OS X features. But this week at Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC), he announced ten new features for Leopard, the next version of OS X, most of which will seem more than vaguely familiar to Windows users. I'm not dim: Microsoft does copy Apple on a fairly regular basis. But seriously, Steve. Apple's just as bad.

More important, perhaps, is that the new OS X features that Jobs and company announced this week aren't, by and large, all that impressive. Two of the new features--Time Machine and Spaces--are valuable additions to OS X and worth discussing, though both, interestingly, have been done before in other OSes. The other Leopard features Apple announced, alas, are almost all a complete waste of time. They're the types of things one might expect of a minor, interim update, or from free Web downloads. They are certainly not major features as Jobs claimed.

OK, enough Jobs bashing. The guy's a visionary and truly important presence in the industry, and it will be a sad, sad day when he steps down from his post at Apple and fades into the sunset. (The reality of this possibility seemed all the more real this week. Am I the only one that though Jobs looked oddly gaunt and sickly during the WWDC keynote?) But as I've often said of Apple and Jobs: They do good work. It's too bad they feel the need to exaggerate so much.

Anyway, what I'd like to do here is address Apple's comments about Windows Vista and Microsoft, and take a look at the Leopard features Apple announced at WWDC. It's important for you to understand, however, that I don't have Leopard. I'm basing this only on what Apple showed off at WWDC.

Redmond, start your photocopiers
If you watch the WWDC keynote telecast (and the accompanying "PC guy" intro video, both of which are available on the Apple Web site), you'll notice immediately that Apple is more than a little preoccupied with Windows Vista. That's understandable, since Windows is Mac OS X's primary competition (in the sense that 2 percent of the market is competition for Windows) and Apple was inspired by Vista features like Spotlight (er, sorry, Windows Search) when creating its previous OS X version, Tiger (see my review). But that's not a slam, really. Give Apple some credit for getting to market first--by a long shot--and doing a fantastic job of implementing features that Microsoft, frankly, may never get right.

But by the same token, I have to admit to being a bit shocked by how childish Apple is about Vista. Say what you will about Microsoft (heck, I do), but the company is at least deferential to its customers in public, about as far from smug as is humanly possible, and it very rarely takes pointed shots at the competition. From the opening PC guy video ("Widgets, gadgets... completely different. They are their own thing. Just like Aqua. I mean, uh, Aero.") to the last moments of the keynote, Jobs and company unleashed a never-ending, tireless diatribe against Microsoft and its upcoming Windows Vista release.

Jobs was quick to tout the progress Apple has made with its OS since 2001, when both Windows XP and the first version of OS X shipped. "What have we been doing for the last five years?" he asked. "We've been putting out releases of OS X." He claimed that Apple shipped five "major" updates to OS X, including Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger, though I'd argue that virtually none of those were major updates at all. (Unless you count the cost. At $129 for each version, that's about $750 on Mac OS X upgrades since 2001. That kind of puts the cost of Windows in perspective.) But he counted Tiger on Intel as a sixth major release, because of the effort in porting the OS X code to a new platform (which, actually, had been in the works for a long time and wasn't the 210 day project Jobs claimed).

Continued on link.....

Lies, damnable lies, and statistics
More than any other company I cover regularly, Apple plays light and loose with facts. The company is so insidious with this behavior, in fact, that I could almost turn Apple myth busting into a full-time job if I thought someone would pay me to do it. Here's one example from the keynote:

Apple shipped 1.33 million Macs in the quarter ending June 30, 2006. It was their best Mac quarter ever. Jobs noted that the Mac's growth rate was "dramatically faster" than the rest of the PC industry, about 16.5 percent for the Mac, compared to just 6 percent for the PC. "We're gaining market share," Jobs declared triumphantly, to cheers. Ahem. Not so fast, Steve. In the previous quarter, the Mac's growth rate was significantly lower than that of the PC (13.1 percent for the PC vs. 4 percent for the Mac). More to the point, Apple's explosion growth in 2005 did nothing to help the Mac's market share, which is still mired at 2 percent worldwide. In other words, Steve's claim is baloney: Apple hasn't really gained any appreciable market share at all--indeed, Apple has lost market share every year since Jobs took the CEO helm--but his comment is technically true: In the slice of time that is the second quarter of 2006, Apple gained--get this--about 1/10th of one percent of market share. And the WWDC crowd goes wild.

go jobs go! ly to your trusting mindless minions!

As a daily user of a G4 ibook I can say with out a doubt that OSX just like XP sucks. It trumps Windows in many fields but Windows beats OSX in many fields as well. So therefore they both qualify as 'suck-tastic'.

z0n3 said:
Copycating is good for the consumer. I like that they both do it.

I agree. Who gives a rats *** if they're copying each other's ideas? The computer industry is based on copying others ideas, it's been going on for decades and won't stop anytime soon. In the end we the consumers are the ones who win.

*yawn*

Why is this thread in Alternate OS and not General Computer Related Discussion?

I have never used OSX because of it being only able to run on their hardware, but I do have a retort for Mr Jobs:

If his OS is so effing great, then why doesn't he release it as a standalone OS, just like Windows. Is he afraid that it will fall apart when it is subject to all the possible hardware configurations that could arise or something? While XP has it's bad moments and is a bear trying to keep secure for the ordinary Joe Sixpack, you still have to give kudo's to M$ for coming up with an OS that interacts well with 99% of the possible hardware configurations that we can come up with. When Mr. Jobs will sell me a retail copy of his OS that I can install on my hardware, not his overpriced stuff and can run without problems as well as XP can, then he will have room to brag. I'm not defending M$ in any way here and I'm about to migrate at least 1 folding rig to Ubuntu myself, but I get really tired of Apple and their "Oh, we're so superior" attitiude.:rolleyes: Their OS might be the best thing since sliced bread, but frankly their hardware is overpriced and limited in configurability compared to what we can do with XP. It used to be inferior hardware-wise too IMO, but now that they've gone x86 the hardware is basically the same. It's just that Apple has limited configurability so much on their systems.

As for copying each other's ideas, well that has been going on for years. Just reading about Apple saying that M$ is stealing their ideas just makes my laugh.:rolleyes: :D

You all have forgotten a few things.

There are NO OSes that do not suck.

Windows XP sucks.
Windows Vista sucks like MacOS.
Mac OS X sucks, but only when Steve Jobs is screaming.
Linux sucks differently every time a new kernel is released, or every time a new distribution is made.
Free/Net/OpenBSD[386] sucks.
GNU Hurd sucks, and they haven't even had a full-on release yet. (as far as I know)

So you see, it's a matter of which OS you choose to have suck...

By the way, OSX is more stable than Windows as a function of Apple controlling the platform AND the OS. ;)

i know people shouldnt care, but what gets me is when job's acts like he invented the current computer world, and everything any other O/S has done - he did it first, when this is not the case, he is blatenly lieing about it.

Gnufsh said:
You know they both copied Xerox on the whole GUI+mouse thing, right?

Right. That story makes me laugh every time I read it! :beer:

"You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!"

But Bill Gates just stood there coolly, looking Steve directly in the eye, before starting to speak in his squeaky voice.

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

Macaholic said:
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

Haha

muddocktor said:
I have never used OSX because of it being only able to run on their hardware

Their OS might be the best thing since sliced bread, but frankly their hardware is overpriced and limited in configurability

I agree. Also, it was worse, it used to be the following:

Versions of Mac OS only installs and runs with a particular computer model! If you wanted to use a different version of Mac OS, you were forced to get a different computer!

RJARRRPCGP said:
I agree. Also, it was worse, it used to be the following:

Versions of Mac OS only installs and runs with a particular computer model! If you wanted to use a different version of Mac OS, you were forced to get a different computer!

Really? That's awful! Tell me, what Mac OS versions and Apple computer models did they do that with?

- Blackstar

tenchi86 said:
/\ You are?
While not an explicit requirement, you damn well better have a Pentium *or better*.

Due to changes in hardware configurations on certain models, the OS had to be made slightly different--or sometimes radically. Most notably, System 7.1.1 was the first version for PowerPC (Power Macintoshes) and had certain core functions re-written native, along with the MC68LC040 emulation module for the rest of it.

The first major reference release to not operate on the original Macs was System 7.0. The first major reference release to not operate on non-PowerPC Macintoshes was Mac OS X 10.0. Note that the changes in System 7 that precluded it from running on the original Macs were more due to the requirements of a multitasking (although not well - admittedly) OS. From the original Mac OS to System 7 represents about eleven or twelve years of Macintosh development, IIRC.

Back