• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] Xbox 360 to have HD-DVD, Eventually

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

okay i looked everywhere to make sure this wasnt posted yet and could not find it :)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Xbox 360 to have HD-DVD, Eventually |
| from the 360-view-of-nothing-yet dept. |
| posted by timothy on Saturday July 30, @22:45 (XBox (Games)) |
| http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/31/0238236 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

[0]thebaboon writes "Bill Gates announced that [1]the Xbox 360 will have an HD-DVD drive, just not for launch. From the article: "According to the statements made by Bill Gates in Japan, Xbox 360, the new gaming console, will include HD-DVD drives. Considering that such a decision would postpone the launching date, Microsoft will equip the initial models with classic DVD drives, and only after the new HD-DVD are ready, the Xbox will incorporate them."

Discuss this story at:
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=05/07/31/0238236

Links:
0. mailto:[email protected]
1. http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Microsoft-Toshiba-HD-DVD-Alliance-Changes-Xbox-360-3902.shtml

So, let advertise it will have this great product - but it really won PSYHC!!!!!

:D

This sounds like what they did with the old drives. When the first group didn't perform they started building them with new drives until there were several different "versions" of Xbox. I was hoping they would try to get it right the first time with Xbox360, but evidently they aren't going to.

What's the point in getting a 360 on release when it won't play the HD-DVD games later down the road?

Why does my friend buy playstations at launch? Everyone knows they are buggy when they are first released. Some people just have to have the latest toys.

Alchemy1 said:
I was surprised to see that 360 is rumored to be $299 at launch.

I think they confirmed $300, but i dont know what it will be with the new drives. If theyre gonna do this they should just delay the release date otherwise the people who get it when it first comes out, they will be screwed. Who knows, maybe they have some tricks up their sleeve.

if u thought it was 360 300 should be ok..unless u never could afford it, like me

I have not purchased a game console at launch since the PS1 and N64 days. I can wait until the first price drop to get my console. I don't mind being slightly behind the times :)

pshh, whats the point of having a console that won't feature future technology in it now? but will be used later? it' doesn't add up?

looks like im going PS3, microsoft campagin actully made consider buying an xbox 360, but with HD-DVD Drive whats the point?

At least when PS3 comes out it will have a blueray Disc Drive. is microsoft in capable of this?

Well its Blu -Ray and HD DVD going head to head and only one can win. So Xbox 360 having the drive could be almost worthless in the future and same with Blu ray.. your taking a chance, I think I am still going to buy an Xbox 360 when its released.

Does anyone know if having a standard DVD drive instead of HD-DVD will prevent you from playing future games? Or will it just change performance or the playing of special media?

Scott9027 said:
Does anyone know if having a standard DVD drive instead of HD-DVD will prevent you from playing future games? Or will it just change performance or the playing of special media?

It'll prevent you.

i would think MS would drop the price, or will just chare more - will MS offer a "free upgrade" when the HD-DVD drives some out?

i think it is stupid for them to do this unless they have some free upgrade plan later but i doubt it, the price will be the same for both and MS will screw you hard!

Buy a first Gen xbox - wont be able to play next months games.

Kevin007 said:
I can't afford one :(...I thought it was going to be $360...

console= $300
game(s)= $60
tax= alot

total = roughly $400 :eh?:

Kevin007 said:
it is stupid......why must they be so mean. .....

I dont know, but i cant wait to play TES4: Oblivion, and Perfect Dark Zero.

wow i have one preordered and ws gonna get it, but i dont want a next gen machine w/o a next gen optical drive

Back