• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paul_chancey

I have a huge crush on the Asus Maximus VI Formula motherboard. I think it will look awesome on a DIYPC test bench with the EKWB water block kit designed to work with its armor. I plan to add an EK Supremacy cpu block to it. At this time I'm thinking I will just air cool my 2 nvidia gtx770 gpus but I could see changing my mind about that. Besides that I want the Asus 240 gb rog raidr pci ssd for my system drive and a decent 1 or 2 terabyte data drive. I'll throw an i7-4770k processor and probably 32 gb of Ddr3 1600 ram with some good cas numbers on it. Haven't made any decisions about pump, radiator/s and a reservoir but since it's a bench system, I'm thinking big.

One thread on the same subject is fine Paul_Chancey...I deleted your duplicate thread. :)

So, what is your question.. I do not see one... :)

Sorry about the double post. I really didn't post a question. I usually rely upon the critical nature of forum readers to highlight any potential flaws in my ideas. Frankly I was expecting the anti Asus crowd to speak up. Now that you ask for a question though, any input on the pump, radiator/s or reservoir would be appreciated.

Sorry about the double post. I really didn't post a question. I usually rely upon the critical nature of forum readers to highlight any potential flaws in my ideas. Frankly I was expecting the anti Asus crowd to speak up. Now that you ask for a question though, any input on the pump, radiator/s or reservoir would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with the build per se, all depends on what it's for. If you're just building it for the looks then, you have to like the looks of it. If it's for gaming then the Mobo is overkill in most cases. If you're looking to bench it then it looks good.

32GB is overkill for a gaming/benching system is about the only thing I see that is alarming for the currently listed uses (benching is all that was listed).

As far as water cooling goes, check out the beginners guide in the water cooling section. That should help with learning what to select, how much rad you will need etc.

32GB is overkill for a gaming/benching system is about the only thing I see that is alarming for the currently listed uses (benching is all that was listed).

As far as water cooling goes, check out the beginners guide in the water cooling section. That should help with learning what to select, how much rad you will need etc.

I agree that 32 gb is overkill for most applications but the Rog Raidr pci ssd comes with ram drive software that I think could make it useful.

I agree that 32 gb is overkill for most applications but the Rog Raidr pci ssd comes with ram drive software that I think could make it useful.
If you do plan on benching having that much ram will put greater stress on the IMC which will sometimes hinder the overclocks and or increase instability when pushed to extremes....Just a heads up.

Exactly... and a ramdisk helps very few tests at Hwbot, so... not something I would get with benching in mind... nor DDR 1600Mhz speeds either. If you really are benchmarking seriously and not 'just want to see what my PC will do' (go to hwbot, create an account, sign up to our team!!!), Grab a set of DDR3 2400/2666 (prices will skyrocket with that speed which will likely make you think twice).

If you want to save money as well, you can get a lesser board. Those are more or less made for extreme (read: subzero) overclocking...

Back