• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7/s with high FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
Is anyone running the NF7/s v2 at 233MHz fsb without doing the vdd mod? I'm thinking about getting some pc3700 ram but I don't really feel like doing any more volt mods to my motherboards. I thought I read somewhere that 1.7v on the northbridge wasn't enough to get over 230? Please give me some feedback and experience from all you high fsb people.

233*11 at 1.8V, right now I'm at a 233*10 just to keep my cpu cooler. I use 1.6 vdd right now, but I've tried 1.7 to get past 235, but no luck. I really doubt that it's my ram holding me back, so I'm guessing that it's either my board or BIOS (essentially me board) that is holding it up. I've never gotten an exact answer on what vdd to choose for which fsb. I've heard that you can go to 1.8V safely on air, but beyond that...... :shrug: I'd try the vdd mod, but I know that if I ever did that mod, I'd do the vdimm and vtt mod as well, and I like my board too much to chance killing it.

enduro said:
233*11 at 1.8V, right now I'm at a 233*10 just to keep my cpu cooler. I use 1.6 vdd right now, but I've tried 1.7 to get past 235, but no luck. I really doubt that it's my ram holding me back, so I'm guessing that it's either my board or BIOS (essentially me board) that is holding it up. I've never gotten an exact answer on what vdd to choose for which fsb. I've heard that you can go to 1.8V safely on air, but beyond that...... :shrug: I'd try the vdd mod, but I know that if I ever did that mod, I'd do the vdimm and vtt mod as well, and I like my board too much to chance killing it.

It seems like your ram is holding you back. Well at least at only 2.9 it is if you did a Vdimm mod and gave the ram 3.3 volts it'll do 250 easy.

excellent, excellent..... anyone up in the 240's and 250's wanna tell me their secrets? are the volt mods necessary?

You think that my ram is holding me back? It's only overclocked by 17 Mhz??? I was under the belief that this ram could reach 250 with these timings. I'd try the DDR Booster, but I'd like to make sure that my ram actually likes high vdimm like BH-5.

HousERaT said:
excellent, excellent..... anyone up in the 240's and 250's wanna tell me their secrets? are the volt mods necessary?

Sure, you use Trats D24. Also you use the chipset voltage of 1.4. Other than that its mostly luck :-/

Sentential said:
Sure, you use Trats D24. Also you use the chipset voltage of 1.4. Other than that its mostly luck :-/

ahhhhh... one of the heavy hitters.... good.... you didn't have to do anything special to the board to get to 250?

I've used trats d24 and I'm using merlins right now.... my ram won't go beyond 227 (Simpletech pc3500 won't go beyond that) so I know i need some new ram.... I just wasn't sure if I had to do any volt modding to get up into the thin air.

HousERaT said:
ahhhhh... one of the heavy hitters.... good.... you didn't have to do anything special to the board to get to 250?

I've used trats d24 and I'm using merlins right now.... my ram won't go beyond 227 (Simpletech pc3500 won't go beyond that) so I know i need some new ram.... I just wasn't sure if I had to do any volt modding to get up into the thin air.

Its possible you have Hynix, change your timings to 3-4-4-11

did that..... no go with various timings and vdimm.... my understanding is that the simpletech ram is just not that great for overclocking.... people generally get 8-10MHz over stock..... I bought it cause I got a gig for $160..... :D

now I'm thinking about going to the next level and the pqi pc3700 ram looks pretty inviting.

Thanks for the info guys...... I'm guessing one of my nf7 boards will get me to the 240-250 area and if I really have to I'll do a volt mod or two..... just hoping I don't have to.

i was able to get 240 boot into windows but not prime stable. right now, i m running @ 9.5x235 primed stable without any mods. voltage are vcore @ 1.825, vdimm @ 2.9, vdd @ 1.7.

sweet..... i really need some better ram.... based on what folks have said earlier today I've been inspired to get back at tweaking trying to do some more with this simpletech ram..... memtesting right now at 227:)

HousERaT said:
sweet..... i really need some better ram.... based on what folks have said earlier today I've been inspired to get back at tweaking trying to do some more with this simpletech ram..... memtesting right now at 227:)

Give those babies 2.9 volts and see what they can really do.

I can't get it to boot with 2.5-3-3-11..... I can't imagine it would work at 2-2-3-11..... is that possible?

Back