• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No audible beep!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

When you start your computer up aren't you supposed to hear an audible beep noise from your motherboard to let you know everything has passed the post? I just put a new comp together using an intel 875 board and I can't hear anything when it starts up. Everything seems to be working great and my memory posts correctly, but it seems odd that the board isn't doing this. Any input would be appreciated.

Some boards do it, some don't do it and some provide an option to adjust it in the BIOS. ;)

As long as you don't have any special error beeps, everything should be fine.

Have you ever heard it beep? If not, I bet you put the speaker connection on backwards. I've done that many a times before...just disconnect it and flip it around and see if that puts some life into it.

Never heard it beep at all. I haven't plugged in the speaker...as I can't find out where to plug it in. I thought it had an onboard speaker.

Well, I've never seen a motherboard w/an onboard speaker....most of the time there is a small speaker in the case, which you must hook up to the speaker header on the motherboard.

You may want to open up the comp and take a look at the motherboard to see if it has a speaker connection.

Back