• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no boot after memory slight overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

galkim

I just finished putting together my new pc:
motherboard - ASUS prime B450M-a/CSM
Memory - corsair vengeance lpx 3000Mhz 2x8GB DDR4
CPU - Ryzne 5 2600x

the default memory Mhz setting is @2133Mhz. I tired to boost it up to 3000mhz in two ways in the Asus bios "AI tweaker" menu:
1- By directly changing the memory frequency from "auto" to "DDR4-3000Mhz"
2- By choosing "D.O.C.P" as the profile then it changes the frequency to 3000Mhz

both ways ended up in a safe mode boot because the system would not post

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

(BIOS is up to date)

My gues is that your system doesn't like that memory. First thing I would do is update the BIOS for that motherboard and then try again with DOCP. If that doesn't work, set DOCP and drop the memory speed to 2933.
What is the XMP setting for the ram? 3000 MHZ CL15 or 16? ODD numbers won't boot unless you disable a setting in the ram timings called geardown.

My gues is that your system doesn't like that memory. First thing I would do is update the BIOS for that motherboard and then try again with DOCP. If that doesn't work, set DOCP and drop the memory speed to 2933.
What is the XMP setting for the ram? 3000 MHZ CL15 or 16? ODD numbers won't boot unless you disable a setting in the ram timings called geardown.

- BIOS is up to date.
- setting to 2933 did not work
- the DOCP profile fives me this - DOCP DDR4 3000MHZ - 15 17 17 35 1.35V
(i'm not an overclocker i'm just trying to make the memory run @ 3000Mhz)

After setting the DOCP go int the RAM timings section and change the first number from a 15 to a 16 OR go near the end in the timings section and find the Gear Down option and disable it. See if that does it

After setting the DOCP go int the RAM timings section and change the first number from a 15 to a 16 OR go near the end in the timings section and find the Gear Down option and disable it. See if that does it

changing to 16 resulted in the same outcome...
disabling gear down resulted in no boot whatsoever and I had to manually reset the motherboard...

OK, how about we leave the DOCP out of it. Use F5 in BIOS to reset it then reboot and set the RAM speed to 2933 and voltage to 1.35V then go into the timings section and just set the first three timings to 16-18-18 and leave the rest at auto.

Last edited:
Back