• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED No desktop or explorer, hardly any hope.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

As.Is

Registered
So I have been banging my head against the perverbile brick wall, trying to figure this out. Each time I boot up, window 7 pro(64 bit) will take 5 minutes to finsh loading through the green welcome screen. The process usually takes less than 30 seconds. Then what should have been my desktop will show up. Instead, the monitor will just show a black back ground with the mouse cursor pointy thingy. No icons, no explorer, no start menu, no task manager. Luckily, I can still boot into safe mode normally.

Chkdsk found errors and repaired them but the problem still persists.

id say the disk is just going bye bye it cant fix some stuff and if those files were on the bad sectors it unallocated then they are likely corrupt

If you haven't already, try performing a Startup Repair...

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

Thanks for the help. System Repair found errors and fixed them but the problem still persist. Also, if I wait long enough after pressing Ctrl alt delete, a system error pops up.

"Failure to display security and shut down options"

I figured it out. A service was hanging the computer. Disabled all non-Microsoft services to fix it.

Last edited:
Back