• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Dollar Wasted PC Build Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, Anthony is a pretty knowledgeable dude and a good communicator. Taco, by your question are you suggesting Anthony may be leaving Linus and branching out on is own?

Well, he seems to be doing quite well. If there were any internal tensions, I can see this as a possible scenario. Anthony has plenty of fans! He's handsome too!

edit: I mean dont get me wrong, I dont want them to part ways. Linus' and Anthony's relationship is so unique, they complement each other very well. Linus is this jumpy spider type stuff and Anthony is more calm and relaxed human, with sweet voice, it is like business marriage! They were made for each other in this industry!:thup:

Last edited:
I sure wish those who think ESD is not a problem because they never saw it would watch this video. Don't really understand why he uses the box instead of the pad made for this purpose - considering some inks may have metal content. Oh well.

It is funny you mentioned that as I giggled a bit when I saw the ESD strap. Better safe than sorry I suppose (esd can be a problem, indeed, but some take it too far), but a little common sense goes a long way in esd prevention.

Normalization FTW. :)

I suspect Anthony was trying to protect himself against litigation and to satisfy the anal retentive crowd. I have seen many streaming videos he has made with Linux where they were installing various components and were not wearing an ESD leash. In fact, the one embedded above is the first one I have see where Anthony did where one.

Last edited:
I don't use a strap either but I have worked in electronic repair facilities where they were a requirement. Now this was in Arizona and New Mexico where humidity is normally pretty low - then lower still in air conditioned facilities to the point we even had humidifiers to bump up the humidity. We also had floor and bench matting designed to suppress ESD and our benches were regularly re-certified as grounded to Earth grounds.

When I lived and worked in Mississippi, static build up was rarely a problem, but ESD precautions still were not ignored.

My point is I think it is wrong for those of us who are experienced and disciplined to downplay the importance of ESD suppression - especially in forums like this where we do not know the environmental conditions where the readers are.

I don't use a strap but I always ensure I touch bare metal of the case interior before reaching in. Always! And I make sure I touch bare metal frequently there after to make sure static has not had a chance to build up again while I've been squirming in my clothes and/or shuffling my feet.

Here in Nebraska, less than 1 mile from the Missouri river, it can be in the 90s F and humidity levels outdoors can feel like you are wrapped in a soaking wet wool blanket. No worries of static there. But indoors may be another matter depending on how efficient your air conditioning is at extracting moisture out of the air - which I point out, is what "conditioning" the air is really all about.

So we can be amused based on our own personal experiences where we live and work. But we, as advisors, must not lose site of the fact some folks live and work in totally different environments and static may very well be a real concern there.

Back