• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No POST above 2166MHz , new to overclocking / computers / HALP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jesslca

Hello, I should list to all my parts before we go further! https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/JESSlCA/saved/#view=r7FD3C

I am really new to overclocking or having a some-what decent computer and was wondering if someone could help me? If I try to run my RAM above the default 2166 that it seems to be running, I get no post. I've been reading through forums with no luck! I assume the AGESA update isn't out yet, or I am simply doing something wrong! I'm really not sure how to OC the 1700x to the ~1800x level, either, which, I am hoping that my cooling solution can handle! I wanted to install a custom loop, but I'm dreadfully terrified of destroying the components, and I feel it defeats the purpose of building your own computer! Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you and sorry for the lack of information; I don't really know what to provide, but any additional information that is requested, I will do my best to provide, but I am flying blind right now!

Also... on quiet fan / cooling profiles, I idle around 36 - 42C, is that okay? (at 3.78GHz, Corsair Link shows this as Temp #1, but the 1700x package says 36C, so I'm not sure what all these are, sorry!) I come from the FX9370 where I was seeing 60+ idle loads, so I'm really not sure, and I've been having trouble gathering information!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response :)
Is the external USB drive like the one attached compatible? I don't actually own a USB stick.
I have seen several posts where people have bricked their computers by trying to update their bios / i was told there is a specific place you have to put the file / certain USB to use... It's really overwhelming and I don't know what to do! I managed to load the Gamer Profile and it's sitting at 3.7, but the other profiles resulted in no post. If there's a step-by-step on how to safely update the bios, but I'm really worried about bricking. Sorry :3

Last edited:
Don't sweat the small stuff too much. Updating BIOS is easy and almost fool proof. Just DON"T DO IT VIA Windows that's where most of the bricking can happen. Spend a few bucks get a cheap thumb drive and do it the right way. The memory you have is Hynix based and has had issues from day one with this platform. The newer BIOS are working much better so really that is your best bet at this time.
When you get the drive insert it into your PC. Go to my computer and right click on the USB drive. Select format and then FAT32. Download the BIOS I listed put it on the drive. Go to tools in BIOS select the EZ flash3 utility then you select the drive and file hit OK.
You might be able to do it from an ODD, haven't tried or another HDD but the USB drive is by far the easiest/recommended method.
Did you try enabling any of the DOCP options under the AI OC heading in BIOS? That might work for you to get the memory running faster.

Oh, none of the DOCP options work with the current bios; It does the whole blackscreen/powerdown/powerup/blackscreen/halt.
On the back of the computer is a "BIOS" USB slot, is that where I insert the USB stick? I guess I can just wait until I get one ^.^

When using EZ flash it doesn't matter which slot you use. The one marked BIOS is for USB BIOS Flashback. It's a slightly different procedure for flashing BIOS. You use it if you need to flash back to a previous BIOS for some reason and EZ flash won't let you.

I just wanted to say Thanks! With 9945 I managed to get stable around 4.1GHz with 3200MHz ram, 1.44V and under a 100% load in Aida-64 for around ~10 minutes, the North Bridge didn't pass 70 and the CPU didn't break 65C. You're so amazing. Thank-you so much!!!

p.s. I did want to ask...
At these speeds, I'm idling at 45 - 52C ; under gaming load it only goes up to about 60 - 65C at max; is this going to burn out the cpu, or am I okay? Trying to figure out if leaving the base clock at these speeds is OK.

Last edited:
Your temps are fine but that V_Core is a tad high. Also AIDA isn't nearly stressful enough for these CPUs try something like Realbench for an hour.

Yeah, The VCore being what it is was set by the Default 4GHz OC Profile on the Crosshair VI Hero Motherboard; Does that mean that I should not be using the profile? Should I not be operating or gaming on the system with a VCore like that?

Wow Jessica, wicked system for sure! :thup: When you use a preset in the bios for overclocking, the board usually overvolts the cpu. Try manually dropping the vcore to 1.4v and retest. Keep dropping the vcore until it's unstable, then raise it 1 notch until it's stable again.

It's time consuming, but you'll get to know what your system is capable of.

When you get the drive insert it into your PC. Go to my computer and right click on the USB drive. Select format and then FAT32.

Unless noted, all USB Flash drives come formatted in FAT32, to save any extra steps, you can check the format before doing a format.

Ah, okay, I can try that... I'm just mortally terrified that I'm going to destroy the hardware, but, we are likely going to put The Threadripper into the tower when it releases. I'm not really sure where to change these things, though. The bios is really overwhelming compared to the crosshair v formula-z's bios.

Edit: I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help and not just yelling "Go look at X forum where this is all explained!" I'm the type of person that likes a little push in the right direction, but not all the information thrown at me! Discovery and experimentation are so much fun for me; I've managed to get a stable 4.1GHz @ 1.396V with a +/- 0.05000 offset. However, due to the massive temperate increase, I've decided to simply leave it @ 3.6GHz, because @ 4.1 I am seeing 55C North Bridge, 50C CPU in Idle @ 1.396, a +20C difference from a 36x multiplier as opposed to 40x. This seems extremely odd for me, as allowing the voltage +/- 0.15000 by the default 4GHz O.C. profile yielded a much lower temperature reading. I'm really not sure what to make of this, but I assume these temperatures are not okay for idle state.

Last edited:
With all that I've read about the Ryzen CPU's, MB's and the BIOS I'm not so sure I want to dive in :)

Ah, okay, I can try that... I'm just mortally terrified that I'm going to destroy the hardware, but, we are likely going to put The Threadripper into the tower when it releases. I'm not really sure where to change these things, though. The bios is really overwhelming compared to the crosshair v formula-z's bios.

Edit: I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help and not just yelling "Go look at X forum where this is all explained!" I'm the type of person that likes a little push in the right direction, but not all the information thrown at me! Discovery and experimentation are so much fun for me; I've managed to get a stable 4.1GHz @ 1.396V with a +/- 0.05000 offset. However, due to the massive temperate increase, I've decided to simply leave it @ 3.6GHz, because @ 4.1 I am seeing 55C North Bridge, 50C CPU in Idle @ 1.396, a +20C difference from a 36x multiplier as opposed to 40x. This seems extremely odd for me, as allowing the voltage +/- 0.15000 by the default 4GHz O.C. profile yielded a much lower temperature reading. I'm really not sure what to make of this, but I assume these temperatures are not okay for idle state.

You don't want to judge your temps by idle, put it under load and go from there. The new Ryzen is OK up to 90° on the core under full load. If you're staying at or below that you'll be fine. Most likely you could run 3.8-3.9 without any voltage increase or even set at static voltage or negative offset if temps are your concern.

Where Temps are concerned allot depends on the software you are using to read them. HWMonitor an old standard we have used here in the AMD forum hasn't been reporting correctly the last I heard, I don't know own if that has been corrected as of yet or not. Something else to take into account the 1700X has a +20*C added to the Temps by AMD to add a more aggressive fan profile, that would also be shown here.

How about AMD Overdrive for temp reporting? Is it Ryzen compatible yet. I know for the APUs it was about the only tool that would report temps correctly so maybe an in house tool like that would be better.

It's Ryzen master for the AM4, personally I use HWInfo64 it's the most accurate and up to date. The creator is working pretty close with a few and updates it very regularly as things develop

It says:

CPU (Tctl) 54.6C -> Is this the +20C temperature?
CPU (Tdie) 34.6C -> Is this the actual temperature?
(HWiNFO64)

Stress testing it in Aida still sees it not passing the 70C marker for Tctl with the "Ryzen" Package at 65C under 100% load, 1.37VCPU at 4.0GHz.
I'll try Realbench, but these close-to-70C temperature is scary!

But thank-you really for humouring me with this thread :3

You have the temps right and as I said previously, that CPU is fine up to 90°C + and will throttle at 100° to prevent damage

Back