• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no post after installing new ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdfootball89

i just bought 2x4gb sticks of corsair vengeance recently to replace 2x2 sticks of crucial ddr3. i put the 8gb of corsair in and im getting beep codes and no post just a nlack screen. 6 beeps which is weird because it says online that 6 beeps for an optiplex 380 is a vga bios problem, but when i put the old ram back in, it works fine.

any help would be appreciated guys, thanks

I see some pretty tight timings listed for the ram in your signature... are those set manually? If so, the new sticks probably can't handle the settings you have. Try doing a CMOS reset and see if that allows the new sticks to boot. If that doesnt work, put the old sticks in and set all your ram settings back to auto.

Ahh, sorry, I shut off reading minds on Fridays, LOL! :p

Being serious, reset the CMOS and see if that works. What ram exactly (link to newegg or mfg page please)?

We need some more details. What speed is the crucial memory? What speed is the new corsair memory?

Edit: ED the rig in his sig is waaayyy to high end to be a dell :p

the crucial is a little funky, lol ive never seen this before. it says on the physical stick: 2gb 240-pin dimm 256mx64 ddr3.
i dont see a speed on the card, but i checked a little while ago and im pretty sure it was running at like 553mhz and a cl7

edit: i also tried putting just one stick of the vengeance in to no avail.

Back