• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Retail Windows starting with 8, License changed ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogbur22

Ok, I have 1 OEM Windows 7 64 bit copy already. I was going to purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 as I have already called Microsoft a couple times after upgrades and got my key authorized for use again. I don't like to keep calling so I figured I would do the right thing and get a retail copy for myself. After much thought and learning I could disable Metro interface in Win 8 I started thinking about just getting Win 8 retail copy instead.

So now I see it's not available in retail form only OEM and that supposedly the OEM license has changed at MS. At least in my brief research on the subject thats what seems to be the case.

Does anyone here know what is up with all this ? How has the OEM license changed and should I just get OEM copys from here out ?

At this time I have just gone back to my plan A and getting a retail Windows 7 unless they have made life easier the with OEM license ? I dislike the upgrade path and installing one OS to install another :shrug:

Anyone ? anyone ? Buellar ?

Confuses me too, at least the naming of it. The full version OEM doesn't cost that much more than the upgrade. I don't know but I think the use of the name OEM still implies you only get a few component upgrades before you have to start calling. Really not that much different from the full version of Win7.

Back