• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No sound?! Makes popping noises, everything is fine in control panel...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hi guys I'm having an odd issue.

Well my sound was working fine, I thought my computer was screwed but it turns out it wasn't at all. But I ended up Flashing my BIOS by switching the jumpers. I also switched the jumpers on another part of the mobo and switched it back, so a total of 2 jumpers I reset.

So now I go to boot up and everything seems fine except my sound. There is power to the speakers, the green cable is plugged into the right spot on my sound card. When I turn off or unplug the power supply to my subwoofer/speakers the speakers make a loud pop noise (It did this when it was working as well.)

Also if I open the mixer its jumping up and down like the music is playing except I'm not getting any sound. Nothing is muted either. Its really making me go crazy because I have no idea what could be wrong.

I checked the device manager and everything is fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I've tried this both on XP and VISTA. (I have 2 harddrives).
Both were working before I flashed the bios.

I also did Load fail safe defaults in BIOS and OPtimized Defaults in BIOS.
Would this affect my sound card? If it didn't have drivers it should have a ! next to it in the control pannel.

The computer Is in my sig.

Last edited:
Well today after class I'm hooking up another computer and seeing if it works. If it doesn't work in this other computer, perhaps my speakers got fried or somthing. They are expensive speakers that are THX certified so hopefully its a software thing not a hardware.

Okay well my speakers work on this other computer. Running vista.
All I did was plug in the audio in (green cable) into the sound card.

At first it didn't work, because the keyboard's MUTE button was on. But I could clearly see that because on the sound control it said muted.

I wonder for some reason xp isn't displaying the audio is muted because of the keyboard.....
I'm going to switch over to my main rig and see if after hitting the keyboard mute button it fixes it! >_<;;

ahh! this blows!
I have no idea why my sound isn't working on my main rig.
The sound card isn't dead, it said its working fine.
The only thing I can think of is there is I messed with some jumpers on the mobo but I switched them back to their original positions so I have no idea whats going on.
The sound card I'm using is in a pci slot. I also tried on board sound and it doesn't work.

EDIT:
Okay Onboard sound card is working, my sound blaster isn't though.
Could the jumper have messed up somthing in my sound card offboard card?
When I go into device manager, it says my sound card is working fine (The sound blaster). So if the card was dead wouldn't it say so?

Last edited:
ahh! this blows!
I have no idea why my sound isn't working on my main rig.
The sound card isn't dead, it said its working fine.
The only thing I can think of is there is I messed with some jumpers on the mobo but I switched them back to their original positions so I have no idea whats going on.
The sound card I'm using is in a pci slot. I also tried on board sound and it doesn't work.

EDIT:
Okay Onboard sound card is working, my sound blaster isn't though.
Could the jumper have messed up somthing in my sound card offboard card?
When I go into device manager, it says my sound card is working fine (The sound blaster). So if the card was dead wouldn't it say so?

Check the sound settings in the control panel and make sure that the PCI sound card is set as the output source.

Back