• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No sound through HDMI out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

I'm assuming I can get audio through the HDMI port, not sure though. I was able to get my 2nd display hooked up via HDMI which is my HDTV. I have video but no audio...do I need to run an optical cable for audio or not?

The analog speakers work fine, just not from the HDMI port.

MB is M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

What GPU you using or is that onboard?

Either way, make sure you have the HDMI listed as your "speakers" in the audio control panel. If it is onboard that should be all you need. If it is a GPU, it may or may not require a cable from audio out on mobo to the GPU.

**EDIT**

Went and saw that mobo has HDMI onboard. Check your "speakers" in the systray or control panel and switch it to HDMI. I am hoping that is the fix.

In my sound box, the Digital Audio (HDMI) shows not plugged in, device usage is enabled however.

OK, the HDMI was recognized after a reboot. Now I guess it's either or....when I set HDMI as default, it works but no sound through the analog desktop speakers....any way to have them both work simultaneously?

Edited to clarify....how do I get both analog and digital audio at the same time?

Last edited:
Not 100% sure, but I don't think you can. At least I can't with Win7, not sure what you are using. I just set it to speakers when I am playing a game, but when I want to watch TV, I switch it to HDMI.
I agree, AFAIK that's the only way it can work.

I would love to be able to easily switch from HDMI to HD Audio AUX OUT to run through my HT amp but that ain't happ'nin' ... ;)

Wonder if the optical OUT would work with HDMI...or is that the HD?

Not sure about the optical on your board. On mine the sound quality (HD or not) was a separate option from the optical OUT and since I couldn't get HDMI sound to also work with speakers or HD I didn't bother trying it with the optical. Too much trouble (for me anyway) to reboot the system to change them ... :(

Not sure about the optical on your board. On mine the sound quality (HD or not) was a separate option from the optical OUT and since I couldn't get HDMI sound to also work with speakers or HD I didn't bother trying it with the optical. Too much trouble (for me anyway) to reboot the system to change them ... :(

Reboot? Why do you have to reboot it? I can change it on the fly on mine. 1 running Vista and 1 running Win 7.

Back