• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua Support - Positive Experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I like to put out positive experiences when I have one with a manufacturer, with all the "OMG SUPPORT SUCKS" that flies around these days.
So, without further ado, a big :thup: to Emanuel at Noctua!

Can you confirm compatibility of the NH-D9DX i4 3U and NH-U9DX i4 with the ASRock X99e-ITX/ac for me?

Thank you!
Austin

Dear Mr. *****,

first of all, thank you very much for contacting Noctua and for your interest in our products.

As you may have already seen, the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac is a pretty strange motherboard, so you have not many options. But here's a list:

1) NH-U9DX i4: This is one is best suited for this mainboard. While it limits you to standard sized memory modules (~32mm), you are otherwise free to choose the orientation without blocking the memory slots.

2) NH-U12DX i4: In vertical orientation this cooler unfortunately blocks the memory slots with its heatpipes, thus it can only be used in horizontal orientation.
However, in horizontal orientation you can either use 40mm tall memory, if the fan sits above the modules and shouldn't extend over the heatsink, or you are unlimited if the fan sits like on the image to the right.

3) NH-D9DX i4 3U: Our latest addition is somewhere in between regarding compatibility.
In vertical orientation the heatsink limits the memory to 32mm just like the NH-U9DX i4 but if you want to retain 3U compatibility you have to use VLP memory modules (~19mm tall), otherwise the fan sits higher and the cooler is about as tall as the NH-U9DX i4 again.
In horizontal position the heatsink again limits you to 32mm memory modules but at least you don't have to worry about 3U compatibility.

If you have any further question, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards, Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Noctua support team

Good Morning Emanuel,

The X99e-ITX/ac is most definitely a strange motherboard, but I was excited when I found out that the cooler pattern it uses is still somewhat standard!

My case (Hadron Air) limits me to either the NH-U9DX i4 or NH-D9DX i4 3U because of a 140mm CPU cooler height requirement.
In my planning, I believe I would be best suited to use the cooler in a horizontal configuration, since I have 2x120mm top exhaust and no rear exhaust.

I have noticed that the NH-D9DX i4 3U is a dual tower while the NH-U9DX i4 is a single tower. Do you know which has more cooling potential?
I also noticed that the NH-U9DX i4 3U comes with a better fan, while the NH-U9DX i4 comes with two fans.

Thanks!
Austin

Dear Mr. *****,

I guess what you really want to know is which of those 2 coolers will do better. This is really hard to say. In terms of cooling, the NH-U9DX i4 will be slightly better. When it comes to noise, the NH-D9DX i4 3U will of course be better than the NH-U9DX i4.

Kind regards, Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Noctua support team

Always nice when one gets prompt responses as well as knowledgeable service. I had a similar experience when dealing with support with Prolimatech. Thanks for sharing Atmin.

Always nice when one gets prompt responses as well as knowledgeable service. I had a similar experience when dealing with support with Prolimatech. Thanks for sharing Atmin.

Definitely prompt responses.
I had a reply daily (except the weekend) from the 28th to today.

And that's just because I'd get their emails at ~3-4AM EST since they're in Austria and they were closed already when I could respond.
By the time it's lunch here they're done for the day!!

I've also had questions answered very quickly from their support. :thup:

Nice!

This is the second time I've dealt with their support.
The first was to get a 115X mounting bracket for an old heatsink.

Back