• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Non-Z OC of K-cpu (and 20th Anniv) seeking updates as of Dec 2014?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hifidelitygamin

Registered
So originally there was a big hullabaloo about the 20th Anniversary Pentium being able to overclock, which combined with the ability to enable non-Z chipset overclocking on all CPU's including the K-series unlocked quad cores. I read it, it was cool though I never ordered anything because I didn't need a new computer at the time, and after TomsHardware made the combination famous, it sounds like Intel "cracked down" (or said they were going to) locking out (at least) K-series quad overclocking on cheap non-Z motherboards "even through Windows Update" if a person refused to update their BIOS, after which nearly all discussion on this combination seemed to die down. (or at least all my google searches always show July 2014 as about as late as the conversations seemed to happen - right when Intel said they'd castrate anyone trying to do it)

So did they ever do it? I cannot find any kind of verification one way or another whether they did, or what they did, if indeed they even did anything. (assuming this was not some kind of psy-ops "head fake" to make people think the party was over to go home early even if they didn't release ANYTHING, it's clear all talk of it massively died down)

Whats the current story? Did people who had overclocked non-Z combos suddenly find their cpu's reverted to stock GHZ settings even without touching the BIOS or what?

The reason that i'm asking is because i'm looking to build a couple of combos like that now for a couple of friends looking for a good value deal, and I don't know if that's a combo that can be recommended or not. (the ideal being OC a 20th anniversary now, and have the ability to slap in a K-series later in the future) I cannot for instance tell whether it's still possible to even overclock a 20th anniversary pentium on these boards, or whether only K-series quads were locked out, or whether nothing changed and it was just PR games of Intel trying to scare people out of buying the combos.

If it were necessary to turn off BIOS updates or even Windows Update (carefully choosing which updates to install, if only one or certain ones actually forced the K-series lockout on H81 H87 H97) to make it work that would be fine too - long as I know that's what it is - since for a game only system am less concerned about security or whatever. Just have an OS backup of a working install and mostly only game on it.

It also raises the question of whether motherboards still out in retail would have been forcibly updated to a BIOS which locks out K-series, or if they could be backdated to an older one if they have been, or anything else. Can anyone either direct me to threads where this might have otherwise been discussed or where people who did these combos can assert they're still working as of now? Even if it's only to clarify 20th Anniv Pentiums will always be safe and it's only quad-K's they were miffed about, I can find NO INFORMATION following Intel's promise of a "crackdown" with the google search terms I keep trying. :-/

I haven't chosen a board at all - that's open and up in the air because I don't know which still support it or not. All I know is Intel swore nobody would be doing it soon so i'm wondering if they followed through on their threats (with microcode updates delivered via Windows and such) or if they psyoped everyone and coyed them into giving up without a fight.

That being said I have a strong preference for Gigabyte because i'd like to build a Hackintosh multiboot for cheap as a backup pc. :p

Are K-series locked out on all? I was hoping there might be a series of threads of people following the status of non-Z overclocking by manufacturer...

You can overclock K CPUs on non-Z chipsets and it's working for all CPUs. However since it's not enthusiast series chipset designed for OC then higher bclk straps and bclk adjustments will be limited. In real you can set higher CPU ratio and higher memory ratio ( if board's BIOS will let you ). There are no hardware limitations of H chipsets that won't let you OC. B chipsets should OC too but these are chipsets designed for business and manufacturers may lock some options in BIOS. There are also some H81/87 boards where you won't find voltage options.
Once again, K series CPUs should OC on non-Z motherboards if motherboard manufacturer decided to keep OC options in BIOS.
Memory should OC up to x29.33 ratio on 9 series motherboards ( like H97 ). It doesn't mean it has any point as most memory kits above 2600 are slow because of worse timings and slower access time.

If you are thinking about OC then I would look for a cheaper Z97 board. Prices are not much higher than H97. H81 are usually worse designed with weaker power section and some other limits. Also have no RAID and some other chips are simply worse to keep lower price ( in most cases you won't see the difference but better check full specs ).

If you are building with the 3258 I would play it safe and go with an entry level Z97 board. I have the ASRock Z97 anniversary. It's not a great board, but it's a "good enough" board and it gets the job done.

What about a ASUS H81M-K Motherboard ? I have one and cant find a way to change settings for OCING on the AI tweaker on it !

AFAIK that list is no longer accurate. Most or all OEMs locked this feature out at intel's insistance either via BIOS update or Windows update.
Intel never sanctioned non-Z overclocking. It was something the mobo makers did without permission.

Checking around the net as late as yeseterday, there were users still overclocking the Non-Z boards. Many that were on the ball had already gone and downloaded the latest bios that would overclock and have NO plans to update the bios. So it still works.

What I did find is that many of those cheapazz mobos would not allow but just so much voltage to the cpu and many do not have nearly enough VRM to support a hefty overclock. But human nature is that it seems like getting away with something so many are doing some overclock even on <$50.00 motherboards.
RGone...

I know the AMD world is different than INTEL as far as options in hardware are concerned. For the last couple years we have been dealing with people trying to OC FX 6 and 8 core CPU with entry level boards usually ending in frustration about the whole experience.

I've recently bought a used 4770K just waiting for parts to start arriving but KNOWING I was planning to OC the chip I bought a border meant to do so. You don't have to go out and drop $300 on a board just do some homework and find a board that will do what you want to do with the system. Why risk having a board die doing something it wasn't meant to do and take other components with it. It doesn't make sense to me and in the long run you will be much more happy with the system you built.

Just my $0.02

Back