• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob q: overclocking with auto vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cherev

Registered
Hi,

Im new to this.

I oced (noob oc) my fx8320 on an m5a99fx pro r2, by upping the multiplier to 20 and leaving the vcore set to auto (in bios). Thus i went from 3.5 to 4ghz.

Temps are ok, stress testing also ok.

Now to my q: I read in some places that ocing with vcore to auto is bad, because vcore can get too high. Is this true? Or, as long as my temps are in range, am I ok?

Thanks in advance,

Yes that is true the system can give more voltage than needed. Is it dangerous ? As long as the temps are in line then I would say no it's not. Is it the best way to OC ? Not really but if it works for you then it works. If you want a good read about overclocking the FX have a read through this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663 it'll explain a lot of things for you and the you may want to optimize your OC if you need assistance then come back and post we're always happy to lend a hand.

He Johan,

Thank you for your reply.

The reason im asking is that yesterday I saw that HWmonitor reported a max vcore of 2.3 This scared me a little even though I know that HWmonitor sometimes just gives erroneous readings. Vcore is most times around 1.24 (i have windows in high performance mode).

Now, temps have all been good. In fact, when I oc my computer in the way I mentioned, temps (package and socket) are lower than at stock settings with Turbo enabled (package temps: 60 at load vs 62 at load; core temp always beneath 55).

From now on, ill just go by temps to see if oc is still good.

Thank you again.

Last edited:
Cherev,

Realize also that modern CPUs will have large swings in core voltage as they operate because of turbo boost and various power-saving, heat-limiting technologies that have a complex interaction under various load conditions.

Hey Trents,

I understand what you've written, but not what you are trying to say. Do you mean that a max 2.3v should not worry me?

Cheers,

No the 2.3 has to be wrong. He's talking about Pstates.

Hey,

Ok. Well ive got APM, C1E en Core6 disabled. I left C&C enabled. Turbo is off of course.

Thanks again to both of you for the feedback.

Hey Trents,

I understand what you've written, but not what you are trying to say. Do you mean that a max 2.3v should not worry me?

Cheers,
Cherev 2.3 is an errant reading, 2.3 volts to the cpu would instantly fry the chip in most cases.

You should read the giude Johan posted. Then using the in forum tool host screen shots of Hw monitor while running prime blend for 20 minutes and also the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. This will give us an idea of what the rig is doing under load.

Hey,

This is HWMonitor after ~30 mins of Prime95 Blend test.

Socket temp is high (70) but still below 72 max recommended. Also, Ive read that the m5a99fx pro r2 is prone to high socket temps.

Screenshot (2).png

And the CPU-Z screenshots

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Yes you socket temp is a bit high but your CPU is already hitting 55c which is close to max as well. So until you improve the cooling and case flow I wouldn't go any higher. You could set ram timings to the jedec#5 and maybe up the NB speed a bit for a bit better performance but your cooling is what needs to be addressed.
What are you using for CPU cooler and case.

Hey,

My case is just a generic no name case that came with my old computer 6 or years ago. One rear, one front, one side fan.

The cooler is a Hyper TX 3 Evo. I know its a budget cooler.

I dont want to go higher than 4.0ghz. Safe package temp for the 8320 is 62. If I get 55 tops on prime95, I should be ok right?

Before tonight I already did a 2 hour blend test with same results.

Cheers,

Yes , you're within limits so all's good.
Agreed, as long as you don't try to push higher you're fine. You can mount fans on the Vrm heatsinks as well as put a fan on the backside of the motherboard, if there is room and/or a cut out in the motherboard try. Which can help lower the socket temps. Here is a picture of how Johan mounted a fan on the backside of the motherboard. I run my rig this way and there is an 8c difference between my Socket Temps and Package/Core. When I didn't have the fans mounted, my temps were more like yours.

Back