• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob question 1080ti pin count and old PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gold333

Registered
Using old Powersupply on 1080ti. My PS is 600w and has two connectors with 6 plugs either side.

The 1080ti has an input of 8 plugs either side.

Can I still use this somehow by buying another cable or do I have to buy another power supply?

This is the power supply:

bhl3j39.jpg

This is the 1080ti:

ASUS-GTX-1080-Ti-STRIX-Review-on-KitGuru-Detail-Power.jpg

Gotta buy a new PSU right?

If so is 600w enough for 8700-Apex X-WD1TB NVme-2x8gb GSKILL 3200c14 do you think?

Last edited:
I'd suggest a new PSU since you mention it's old as well.

Thanks. But on a more technical note, is it possible to connect this PSU to that card using other cables?

And if not that card what about this one:

s-l1600.jpg

650w is enough for GTX 1080ti and i7 8700. You could use adapter cables for the old PSU. However, I don't know what the reviews are on the old PSU.

650w is enough for GTX 1080ti and i7 8700. You could use adapter cables for the old PSU. However, I don't know what the reviews are on the old PSU.

You're assuming this PSU isn't old enough to have a low 12V amperage and a high 5V amperage.

Thanks so much people.

Yes it's a Cooler Master Silent Pro 600w.

It used to power my insane Asus Striker II board on Q9650, overclocked from 3.0 ghz to 4.2ghz (on air!) for 10 years straight. That's a 20% overclock for 10 years.

The PSU even survived a shorting of the board (case side panel fell off ripping the side fans cables off the fans, then the 2 wires in one of the fan cables touched -> smell of burnt hotdogs and the Asus Striker II was shipped back to Asus and came back repaired).

This PSU has some emotional value and is now powering my new build:

Maximus X Apex
GSkill 2x8gb 3200C14's
WDBlack 1TB NVme
WDBlack 1TB SATA
Asus GTX 670 Top CU II
NZXT S340 Elite

As you can see the GTX670 is still from the old build. I'm hoping to get a Galax/KFA2 1080 Exoc White in there. Love the white GPU and the RGB backplate.

I was hoping to save some money for now if the old PSU would still function. It's been blown out by a 6 bar air compressor every now and then so there's no dust build up.

As far as I understand it it's modern enough to be able to power that card with the adapters you guys/gals mentioned right?

This is the tech specs: I'm unsure if the 12V and 5V amperages are ok. (I'm not technical)

bEHR7hw.png

Last edited:
Yep. The 670 at stock is 170w gpu. The 1080 is a 180w gpu. 95W cpu (talking stock values here). Maybe 210W for overclocked gpu (1080), and 150W for 8700k.... 40W for everything else...thats about 400w. It puts out 480 assuming it can still put out its nameplate values.

Try it, use it, but keep in mind a new one is a good idea sooner than later. If you notice issues under load, thats the first place id look.

Sweet. Thanks.

Now all I have to do is find 2 white cables: 6pin to 6pin and 6pin to 8pin.

My current setup is 2x (6pin->2molex ->2molex ->6pin ->GTX670) ... I don't want to add another 6pin->8pin adapter after that for the 1080. Way too many links if you ask me.

I hear ensourced.net makes some nice custom cables. If anyone else knows of a place I can get clean white cables (6pin to 6pin and 6pin to 8pin), long enough to reach from the PSU to the GPU let me know.

Thanks for all the advice, you people are the best.

Just buy a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter.

Here is one. Problem solved

Why do you need white ? Are all your cables white ? Here is a two pack for 6 pin psu to 8 pin video card. Find a cable sleeve thats white and just install it on this

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...31672791&sr=1-3&keywords=6+pin+to+8+pin+pci-e

here is a white sleeved one $10 so $20 for two, but i think this is 8 pin psu to 6 pin PCI-E.. so this one may not work.

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-6-Pi...7&keywords=6+pin+to+8+pin+pci-e+adapter+white

Id buy the two pack one i first linked and just find a white cable sleeve like this. and use heatshrink on the end.. Remove the wires from the plugs to get the sleeve on then the heatshrink tubing.. Put the wires back in the plug.. Then get a lighter and shrink the heatshrink on and thats it

https://www.amazon.com/PET-Expandab...1531672926&sr=1-7&keywords=white+cable+sleeve

Last edited:
Back