• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wantu2much

Like it says in the title, I am a beginner when it comes to water cooling.

Here is my question, The case i am looking at has room for 1 - 140x2 and one 140x3. Obviously i can stuff it full of radiators however is it too much just for a cpu only water loop?

And second would there be any benefit of having that much rad for the cpu versus going with a dual 140 or even just a triple 140.

Looknig at going full copper and thin rads with noctua NF A14

Thank you for all your input.

wantu2much:welcome:

Welcome to OCFs.

First and foremost, please take the time and read our yellow stickies whether it takes you days, weeks or months. This will cover the basics of water cooling and allow you to figure out how much rad will be needed as well as the maintenance required.

I would also hold off on buying a case.

What CPU are you intending to cool with all this and will you be overclocking it to the max? I'm also new to water cooling and my only experience is with the closed loop all in one water coolers of which I have tried several lately. I'm also new to Intel overclocking and what I'm finding out is that the limiting factor in cooling with the last two generations of Intel chips quickly becomes the inability of the processor lid to transfer the heat produced by the processor core. With the Ivy Bridge and Haswell core CPUs, Intel switched from using a fluxless metallic solder to a poor-performing conventional paste between the core and the underside of the lid. So the heat builds up and cannot get to the lid fast enough to allow efficient thermal transfer. The problem then becomes not the efficiency of the CPU cooler but the inefficiency of the CPU heat spreader lid. The law of diminishing returns quickly sets in when throwing more and more radiator surface at the problem.

Back