• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob - transferring OS + desktop to new PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Hi
Huge upgrade to my PC with a new mobo and CPU.

Currently running dual boot Linux (Ubuntu Mate) + Windows 10 off of an Samsung EVO 512Gb M.2 card.

Is is simply a matter of re installing the same M.2 with my dual boot OS in the new mobo?

Somehow I'm guessing there is more involved since the BIOS is involved, but since it took me quite a long time to get my dual boot system working properlry, thought i'd better ask now!

˄˄ As Mr.Scott says, there will be enough difference in the MB and it's BIOS + drivers that you won't enjoy Not starting from scratch.

Thanks. Am using the same GPU cards so no new Nvidia drivers but I assume you mean I need different drivers for the actual AMD mobo?

Anyways of course will simply try installing the M.2 and see if I can boot past the BIOS-UEFI.

Installing both linux AND Windows and properly setting up a dual boot system is fairly time consumi

I would definitely try booting off the old drives.
Just saying, don't get your hopes up for a smooth transition.

There's a good chance that your Linux installation will migrate hardware with no hiccups.

...don't know about the Windows install, will likely be problematic.

Not sure about Linux...

Windows I have swapped installs on the same chipsets and a generation or two difference and it worked. Not optimally, but it worked. I suspect a change to AMD from Intel isn't going to go optimally either. Just start from scratch on that type of change. With what you are trying to do with 3 GPUs and how many threads you start, spare yourself and us the effort of troubleshooting a dirty install and just do it clean. :)

I've swapped Windows 10 installs from AMD ti Intels chipsets from differnt generations and the other way around without issue.

example:

Haswell to FX 8350.
AMD A4 4000 to Ivy Bridge.
Haswell E to A4 4000.

Went flawlessly each time.

I've swapped Windows 10 installs from AMD ti Intels chipsets from differnt generations and the other way around without issue.

example:

Haswell to FX 8350.
AMD A4 4000 to Ivy Bridge.
Haswell E to A4 4000.

Went flawlessly each time.

worked flawlessly but was it as fast as when you did a fresh install with the same systems ?

There is no need for anyone to be scared of installing windows these days . It is so easy and off a usb drive it takes less than 30min .

worked flawlessly but was it as fast as when you did a fresh install with the same systems ?

There is no need for anyone to be scared of installing windows these days . It is so easy and off a usb drive it takes less than 30min .

Yes. WIndows 10 is quite smart for that it seems...

Yes. WIndows 10 is quite smart for that it seems...

Back