• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob trying to overclock his Opteron 180

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All AMD S939 chipset boards run less than 1:1. Each multiplier has it's own divider depending on what the multiplier is AND if the multiplier is EVEN or and ODD numbered multiplier. There are charts still around out there that show this.

So the short answer is that AMD S939 never has or will have 1:1 ram speed.
RGone...ster.

Zegr, your settings look good. Once you have a better cooler, you are all set to raise the CPU voltage a bit, and start cranking up the CPU speed (CPU-Z calls it bus speed). Leaving the RAM where it is will allow you to increase the CPU speed quite a bit before the RAM is back up to 200 MHz (DDR400); and your RAM may allow you to run it at better than 200. The RAM I have in my 939 system isn't anything super special, but it is running fine at 220 MHz, and I've had it up to 230 with the voltage set to 2.7.

A PSU is a power supply unit, and a good one is essential to having a stable computer, especially if you are going to overclock. Most computers out there have ones that are, like stock CPU coolers, just adequate at totally stock speeds, and will begin to give you problems at just a little over stock speeds.

Those Ebay auctions are for the Ultra 120 Extreme, which is the better version with six heat pipes. The older one with only four is still a very good CPU heatsink, so keep an eye out for a good deal on one of those as well.

Hm what do u mean all over the place?u mean its not stable?Its set manually at 1.400 at the moment.Maybe coz its an old processor?
Whats PSU?

Is it these two?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermalrigh...28186600?pt=AU_Components&hash=item338e25fde8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermalrigh...?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item416f8dfd34
The vCore isn't that bad really. Just varying from 1.392V to 1.424V isn't too hateful. Seems like voltage is drooping under load down to 1.392V (or increasing to 1.424V at idle, randomly). Some PC's just do that. I've seen much worse.

PSU is an abbreviation we typically use for Power Supply Unit (or just Power Supply for short).

Yes, those are Ultra 120 Extreme coolers.

Definitely wouldn't buy the one from Israel though, it is way overpriced for what it is. Not worth anywhere near $50+shipping now.

Here are a couple more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermalrigh...?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item338e40e2ed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermalrigh...?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item1e8ac846f4

If it is on load, that is normal, its called Vdroop.

Yeppers and until the FX processors came on the scene there was no play off with CPU_LLC for AMD. It was up to the mobo company to handle droop with a good VRM. I remember that DFI went digital before the rest followed and we had little vdroop on the AMD stuff. We just have to remember so far back to the "ole" days when trying to tweak the older stuff. It was different back then. Not better or worse, just surely different. A good board went a very long way back then for sure. And it has come full circle in that running FX AMD processors fast...well it takes a robust mobo.
RGone...ster.

Hey guys update:
So i left for work today and left Prime95 running for testing.Apparently Worker #2 showed THE error 2 hours later while Worker #1 showed me that error 10 hours later...Im not sure where i go from here

EDIT: Forgot to mention my PSU,its a 550w Z series

Last edited:
More volts if possible... assuming you have ruled out memory and HT Link errors (by running them under spec).

More volts if possible... assuming you have ruled out memory and HT Link errors (by running them under spec).

Hm so u mean i lower the HT Link from 1000 to 800 and RAM to its lowest value?coz its ddr333 now.Ok i guess i'll try that thnx

That is how you isolate parts as presumably they will be stable under their rated spec which allows something above spec to be a more obvious culprit.

ok guys back with a small update,
My Thermalright true black-120 just arrived so right now im trying to figure out how to install that thing on my 939 socket...Boy that thing is a beast!It must be twice the size of my previous fan and not to mention the heatsink...like 3 times bigger!No thermal paste included in the package,thankfully i got a spare one

Back