• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

normal or going mad 2.8e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionzbelt1

I have recently bought a new system but are not happy with my temps i have a 2.8e and know they run a little hot my idle temps are 35 case 54 cpu pwm 41 and i was just using nero and media player and my temps shot up to 70 and my alarms started to go off scan .co.uk keeep blaging me with the usual crap like you cant tell the true temp of cpu all the monitors arent right and so on but if there right and maybe mine 10 degrees lower than the monitor is reading but is it normal for a cpu to jump 20 degrees when only using the above programs i mentioned. also it i just opened outlook while writing this and it went from 54 - 61. Can anyone help is this cpu knackered or fine and im just worring.

Please Help

My Specs

Abit IC7-MAX3
P4 2.8e
2 x 256 Twinxms pc3200
Asus Ati 9600se
37.4gig Western Digital Raptor
160 Samsung Spinpoint
Phillips Pcrw1208

that does seem quite high. how warm is it in your room, how warm is it in your case? are you using the stock intel cooler? if you did, did you mount the intel cooler using the thermal tape on the botton and without added thermal paste?

I have a zalman cnps 7000cu heatsink 3 case fans and a temps of about 24'c in the house my case never goes above 30-35 i used artic silver 3 thermal compund and have resat the cpu 3 times now changed monitoring software.

I just spent £450 for all of this and cant really use it without worring

squirtle632 said:
In the last thread you said you were overclocking. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=306046
Are you still overclocking?
If you are still using that Zalman, it is not made for overclocking.
You are going to have to find another HSF for that. Also you are going to need a FRONT intake also. That should help in your temps.

I am running at 2.8 stock havent touched a thing yet to worried. Just bought 2 thermaltake 80mm smart fans for the back exhausting and a 120 thunderblade for in the front

Not to increase your fear, but something isn't right with your system if it's running that hot at stock speeds. I'm not currently using my 2.8E in either of my systems and I haven't run it on my Abit, but I still don't think those temps are good. First, Abit's last BIOS revision addressed temp readings specifically for Prescotts - v1.6, I suggest you get it. While you might not be willing, lapping my Prescott's IHS gave me a 5°C temp improvement. Before you make any more changes to your case / case fans, try running your rig with the side panel off. If you see a significant improvement in CPU temps (>5°C), then your case airflow may need improvement. Keep in mind, more fans / more powerful fans isn't always the way to improve case temps. Sounds like you put some money into your system, so you may not like this: I'd recommend improving your CPU cooler if you plan to stay with a Prescott on air. I used a Thermalright SP-94, 92mm Delta HHE (the quietest one they make, still good airflow), and Arctic Silver 5; this setup worked well for me and others here can attest to it being a worthwhile investment. Some may argue that the difference might not be that great, but it's an improvement over what you're presently using. Lastly, you'll need to run a CPU-intensive program (like Prime95) to get better picture of the temps your system will run at under stress. Good Luck.

Somethings wrong.
I have a Prescott 2.8 and Max 3 even OC'd to 3.4 my CPU temps are 42C idle - 52C load with a Zalman 7000cu & AS5. One 80mm intake, one 80mm exhaust and a 120mm blowhole for cooling.

-Try reseating the heatsink.
-How much Artic Silver did you use? too much is bad
-is the Zalman hot to the touch when at full load?
-Put the latest bios on the Max 3
-whats the vcore set at in the bios?

Back