• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright AXP 100RH & 6850K CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I've ordered the above-discussed Scythe cooler today and should be having it delivered home within a week or so. If I ever move my rig I will most probably do it carrying it by myself, or eventually remove any cards and the CPU cooler if needed. Although I personally have had no damages so far moving my rigs, I've read about cases when heavy CPU coolers crack the motherboard or create micro-cracks around the CPU with time. This is however very subjective to motherboard, installation and way of handling when being transported. The Scythe cooler is in no way too heavy, being only about 250-300 gr. above the 100RH, which is one of the smallest air coolers on the market currently.

Thanks everyone for the insight and hopefully next time typing in here my CPU will be enjoying idle temps around 30 - 35 degrees.

Yes, I've ordered the above-discussed Scythe cooler today and should be having it delivered home within a week or so. If I ever move my rig I will most probably do it carrying it by myself, or eventually remove any cards and the CPU cooler if needed. Although I personally have had no damages so far moving my rigs, I've read about cases when heavy CPU coolers crack the motherboard or create micro-cracks around the CPU with time. This is however very subjective to motherboard, installation and way of handling when being transported. The Scythe cooler is in no way too heavy, being only about 250-300 gr. above the 100RH, which is one of the smallest air coolers on the market currently.

Thanks everyone for the insight and hopefully next time typing in here my CPU will be enjoying idle temps around 30 - 35 degrees.

I think you better do your math again.

The Scythe cooler weighs 1030 gm. The Thermalright weighs 360 grams including the fan.

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-5-pcgh-edition.html

http://thermalright.com/product/axp-100rh/

Hmm, true. I've been comparing the product's weight at the retailer's pages, 862 g. vs 1 kg. The ROG Rampage V is a solid motherboard so I doubt 1 kg. would present any danger to it. Will see once it arrives. Most better air coolers are around this weight anyway so I doubt producers would go for them at all in full tower/mid tower cases if there was real risk about their weight.

By the way, Thermalright got back to me saying I should go for much bigger cooler. Funny as from what I can see the 100RH is not suitable for cooling something more than a Core 2 Duo/Quad or early i3 versions, especially in SFF systems, despite the fact it supports much newer sockets and the otherwise claimed capacities. And if one was to use it with low-value CPUs, what is the point at all? People want good cooling in small size, not Raspberry Pi's to run their Kodi/test Linux distros on a smartphone like board.

The 100RH will support the latest generation of i3 CPUs easily and in a roomy well ventilated case it will likely support even current generation i5s and i7s at stock speeds and voltages, but with the trade off of higher fan speeds and more noise. But when you move up to the 6800k like you have with those extra cores the stock wattage overwhelms it quickly. With shrinking fabrication sizes the stock core voltages have shrunk significantly in recent years so that even i5s and i7s run reasonably cool at stock settings and don't require as much cooling power as they did some years ago. But over clocking quickly drives up the wattage numbers.

I was (obviously!) not aware of that. After my Zalman air cooler several years ago I went with AIOs for the noise reduction and space saving. It's easier to stick a radiator in the top of the case and maintain good airflow for the rest of the components without having to get a huge case that way.

Back