• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not all FX are created equal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the thought ...... between me and Tina we have it covered. The hardest part for the next bit till I get settled I'll just have my laptop. Gotta soon start packing up this stuff.

Good luck all around man with place and the packing.
RGone...ster. :cool:

Nothing but a laptop, I shudder at the thought.If it gets bad Betty Ford has a place you can go. Ha ha

Good luck all around man with place and the packing.
RGone...ster. :cool:

Thanks RGone .... things will work themselves out.

Nothing but a laptop, I shudder at the thought.If it gets bad Betty Ford has a place you can go. Ha ha

hahaha .... yes my wild crazy days are behind me, no betty ford for me. I think we have decided to wait it out depending how long it takes and who knows maybe something else might show up that we like, but that will be hard to do as you don't get much water front within our self imposed limit 300000 around here. The good thing is if this drags out with Kingston being a university town there is allot of stuff for rent right now with school out.

Good poit there Bassnut and lake houses are hard to find for a reasonable price. One thing though that area North of Kingston has a crap load of lakes which may improve the odds. If you need a haircut check out the University Barber. Just south of division on Princess street. My brother in law owns it and it's only $10 a cut! His names Steve. He's a funny shaved head little guy and might be a little shakey in the mornings. But can he cut hair!!

I still can't get over my CPU's little bumps up to 4.6GHz, then a relatively huuuuuuge leap in Vcore to get to 4.7, then another little bump to do 4.8, and it just can't to 4.9 right now... but if I ever switch over to H2O it might reconsider. :D

I still can't get over my CPU's little bumps up to 4.6GHz, then a relatively huuuuuuge leap in Vcore to get to 4.7, then another little bump to do 4.8, and it just can't to 4.9 right now... but if I ever switch over to H2O it might reconsider. :D

How did you do your OC .... Just multiplier or did you use some FSB in conjunction with your Multiplier. I have found once I got to a certain point in my OC the use of a bit of FSB was what it took to get my higher clocks.

How did you do your OC .... Just multiplier or did you use some FSB in conjunction with your Multiplier. I have found once I got to a certain point in my OC the use of a bit of FSB was what it took to get my higher clocks.

Hey 'bassnut', while we can find this generally true since the release of the FX processors it also began to become apparent back with the Thubans and also in many cases with even a Phenom2 (Deneb) processor.

The 790 chipset and the 890 chipset boards do seem to have a tendency to like the last bit of an overclock done by pushing the FSB up slightly and the last bit of an overclock could be reached without so much more Vcore and without too much additional temps. The 9xx boards seem to really like added FSB to reach the max overclock. However this 9xx thing may simply be a time and place thing. Meaning most of the boards now in use are 9xx. The older chipset boards and users have just faded into the past.

Thru the appearance of using FSB to reach the last bit of overclock being often easier and coming with a tad less Vcore as compared to just using a multiplier to overclock, I have seen NONE that hazarded a guess as to why this use of FSB to get the last of an overclock, works at all. I have brain tumbled it for at least a year.
RGone...

I have my FSB set to 210, that's all the oveclocking I've done to it. I got it up to 4.8 with multi only at 200 FSB, then I lowered the multi and raised the FSB to 210 to get a little higher at 4.83GHz, that's as far as I could really go though because my temps were getting too high... that was back in the wintertime without running any heat and the windows open with a fan, freezing my butt off to get there. Can't do that now when it's pegging 90 outside. :D

oh come on guys, vcore is to low below 1.68. I have had mine WAY over 1.7 and the magic smoke still stayed in the thing.
the better clocks are found useing both the multi and fsb and with the bench marks it seems that the closer to 300 fsb the better and doing real computations 225-250 seems to work better.

oh come on guys, vcore is to low below 1.68. I have had mine WAY over 1.7 and the magic smoke still stayed in the thing.

I'm getting there C_D but my poor cooler is at it's limits. I've been getting close to 70 on the core a few times. I find after a few attempts with the high V_Core it has to have a break, thing just won't stabilize long enough.
Haven't been in the 300 fsb range yet only 270's but it does help the benches

I really don't quite understand the fsb having this effect.
all I read says that it effects the cpu clock, ht link speed and the cpu/nb clock, why does it have that effect on the bench marks?

Maybe it's alot like your magic smoke theory. Don't know why it works but it does and when the magic smoke leaks out we know it doesn't work. :cry:

Back