• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not Amazed With F.E.A.R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

postaldudeleo

I played Fear. Half way through it in one sitting in fact.

After playing quake 4 I deseced to waste even more of my time and install get F.E.A.R. So I got it and is it just me or is it too easy? I don't see much of the hype.

Damn after playing quake 4, where 50 hits does nothing to anybody, and phasing to 1 hit kills, I clean out all these soldier guys without dying once on the hardest difficulty. I use only dual pistols with occasional machinegun when pistol ammo runs out.

Anyone agree with my that this game isn't all it's hyped to be. Do like the particle physics but thats it.

I clean out all these soldier guys without dying once on the hardest difficulty.

Says he wasn't playing on easy.

Anyways, to the point. No, this game isn't especially difficult. If that is the only way you judge games, then you're selling yourself short, especially with FEAR. I don't think anyone has said anything along the lines of the game being good because it was hard. Most of us play single player games for story and atmosphere. If we want to be challenged, that is what internet play was made for ;)

I sadly did not notice that much story or atmosphere. It was as if I was playing Rainbow 6 game with (much) smarter ai :( .

Thief 3 had the best atmosphere I ever played.

Then again, some things didn't creep me out like they where supposed to. I looked over the directors commentary and they said that the atmosphere was supposed to be subtle but I think it may have been too suble.

Thief 3 had a haunted house level and that was much more disturbing then doom3 or Fear.

superdaveviii said:
Says he wasn't playing on easy.

Anyways, to the point. No, this game isn't especially difficult. If that is the only way you judge games, then you're selling yourself short, especially with FEAR. I don't think anyone has said anything along the lines of the game being good because it was hard. Most of us play single player games for story and atmosphere. If we want to be challenged, that is what internet play was made for ;)

Word.

I did...the fact that you thought Thief 3 was scarier than Doom 3 and FEAR made me lose interest in this post.

Not thief 3 in general, just the shalebrook manor with the flashbacks and things.

Fear had flashbacks but it's not the same without lobotamy rooms and phycopaths.

Fear shows me a flashback and then lets loose around 15 soldiers win three groups. One is ussually doing something, another covers fire, another bursts in.

I grab pistols and go headshots. 5 seconds later everyone is dead and the level is empty till the next ambush.

You need to try it online. 16 players on a small map is absolute mayhem. All you can see is bullet trails, smoke, and debris. The game is very fast paced, and there aren't many CS type players yet that ruin the experience. It is quite possibly the most fun I have ever had online.

I haven't gone online yet :p

Can you do slow mo in multiplayer? Slow-mo + jump + shotgun in the face of your enemy owns anything and everything :cool: !!!

Seven7Thirty30 said:
I did...the fact that you thought Thief 3 was scarier than Doom 3 and FEAR made me lose interest in this post.

The section of Thief: Deadly Shadows where you played in "The Cradle" is by far the most atmospheric and scary level of any game I have ever played. Bar none. The rest of the game was pretty much so-so. With exception of The Cradle, the game came nowhere close to being as great of a game as Thief: The Dark Project or Thief: The Metal Age. Anyhow...

Fear was pretty easy. Im about to beat it again on the hardest setting. But its still a GREAT game.

there are different modes, with regular DM, team DM, CTF, and a Slow-mo version of all of them.

postaldudeleo said:
Finally a fellow Thief player :welcome:

Heh, and welcome to you as well. Just in case you were not aware, there are fan made missions (many of which are EXCELLENT and on par with missions from the actual game, and some which even exceed the quality of the actual game) available out there. The best spot for them would be over at the Through the Looking Glass forums at http://www.ttlg.com/forums/

Many Thief loving types over there if you ever want to talk Thief :)

Wow. Finally some Thief 3 missions. I always wondered where the modding community was for thief 3.

@ Janus: So how does slow mo look if both players are doing it for instance?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back on topic:
The game just got a whole lot better (more action, less wandering empty rooms)
Edit: the ai for those assasins is awsome. The guy cloaked, punched me, jumped off the balcony onto a thing, then vaulted from wall to wall and off the ceiling back to the second floor while dodging every one of my shots and tried another go. (I still sent him flying off the balcony in slow mo a moment later)

Anyone know how they designed an ai to do three dimentional jumps (walls, floor, cealing)?

Last edited:
Back