• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not another what cooler will work thread?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That Devil's Canyon is a fine chip, but it does have thermal limits.

I had to ditch my 4790k when it could no longer serve to compare heatsinks. But my kid is using it now. I routinely ran it at 4.5GHz. The thermal limt is what everyone ran into with Intel CPU's i7 3xxx to 8xxx: there comes a point where nothing can carry the heat away, and the heat builds up on the cores. You know you are running into your heatwll when it takes more and more Vcore for little gain in overclocking and a lot more heat.

I don't expect you will even get to 4.6GHz. Buy an Ouroboros, spend your money on a GPU and save the rest.

Hi - actually its a 4790k Devil's Canyon - so a somewhat more robust processor - and was hoping to throw $400 max at cooling and video ...hence desire to push this a few years.

I'm continuing to push the OC - currently 4.6 @ 1.3v core and 1.15 vring - temps in the 70's to high 80's - will see how far I can get on this - but think I'm near current thermal limits

however I do take your poing re diminishing returns - - were I to go new build, yes would do a current ryzen ~$400 , mobo $200, case $100, 5700xt $400, 32 gb ddr4 $200, + what kind of cooling - $100-150 - cracking the $1200 mark w/out a sweat...

WHY DOES THIS ALWAY HAPPEN...?

oops sorry i googles cm 690II and didn't notice the link went to the wrong case. i do think a better case is a good investment tbh. a good case will last through multiple builds and a good heatsink will often be updated to fit new sockets. having a good foundation is worth it and the airflow of a better case can make just as much if not more difference to temps. one is nothing without the other.

I would keep what you have and upgrade your gpu. Get the best gpu you can afford so that you can marry it with your next rig. When your ready to go full fledged new rig worry about high end cooling then. If need be maximize case flow with some quality fans and enjoy your favorite game ;)

Hi - updated sig - not much I can reuse except the power supply - with the present system @4.6 stable I should be able to do better for a modest investment - (originally, I thought I could just change the fans on the 212 for a pair of Noctuas but couldnt see how to mount them or if they' be worth it for the improvement) Now looks like I should try to get a 240 radiator mounted - may need cut some metal - maybe a better case is a better idea but then I still have a cooler decision to make.

Hi - updated sig - not much I can reuse except the power supply - with the present system @4.6 stable I should be able to do better for a modest investment - (originally, I thought I could just change the fans on the 212 for a pair of Noctuas but couldnt see how to mount them or if they' be worth it for the improvement) Now looks like I should try to get a 240 radiator mounted - may need cut some metal - maybe a better case is a better idea but then I still have a cooler decision to make.

At 4.6GHz, you have already maxed out the overclocking abilities of this CPU.
You ought to be able to reuse your CPU/MB/RAM.
You ought to be able to reuse your SSD, your GPU and your case.
You probably will not get any more speed out of your CPU, whatever cooling you pick.
You do not need to spend much money on cooling: better cooling will not get you any better OC.
If you are bound and determined to upgrade your cooling, get a six-heatpipe heatsink: water is not needed for an i7-4790k.

Thanks very much - exactly what I needed to learn - all the juice is squeezed out of this particular orange - [I actually feel pretty good about that]
the best route here seems to be just upgrading the gpu - I am leaning toward a 1660ti rather than the extra bucks for a 5700xt - dont think I'd max out either. Defer on the new case, which makes the most sense for a new build - though I will take a look at the Meshify - which some people seem to like.

Now all I gotta do is part with some cash.

Last edited:
Confessing to Civ 6 - very cpu intensive notsomuch graphics - the 670 is somewhat below recommended spec. 1080p @ 60hz for 60 fps should be more than adequate - the goal of the OC is to reduce turn times etc and I just want a bit of graphics headroom for the future. The 1660ti should be an easy decision @ $280 - though the 5700xt is great value at $400 - do I recall there is some relation between CPU/APU/GPU processing or is that exclusively AMD? Or am I totally wrong.

Yeah I mean the added vram seems to help according to a Reddit thread but for $400 I think you could get a Ryzen 3600, mb and 16 gb Ddr 4 3200 or just about.

If you were wanting to play other games though sure the new GPU will help. I don't think the 5700xt is necessary unless you see a 1440p monitor in your future. But it is a sweet card.j

So maybe I will wait till for a black friday deal - I will not get any more traction out of this cpu and the graphics card is good enough if not great for now. So the answer to "what cooler do I need" is a) none or b) a new system... I like it.

Back