• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not another what cooler will work thread?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angelicus

Ugh, yes. Hope you can help. I am dusting off my 4790K in the hopes of getting some more life out of it - problem is my case - Coolermaser 690 II too small for a large air cooler ( big Noctua or the dark rock) - current set up on gigaby z97 3UDH is using an old hyper 212 - its about 151mm tall and has little clearance - I can get to 44ghz reliably and likely 45 if I would do more than tweak the voltage. a Corsair AIO seems an good option but will be a difficult install. Suggestions would be welcome - I am not sure whether to shoehorn the h100i in or try something like the DeepRock TF (that the one with horizontal fans) Thanks for any advice.

Get a more up to date case that has some good water options and also is roomy enough to accommodate many cooling options. As trends in cooling technology change cases evolve to accommodate them. If you aren't open to that then look at the Corsair H80i.

Although it is a narrow case, you can still fit a tall cooler in it. I did have a 690II Advanced, but ended up tossing it in the bin before I moved. I did fit Le Grand Macho RT in it, as well as True Spirit 140 Power. Although the tips of two pipe on TS140P did rub the side panel, I was still able to close it.. barely. The coolers were on a Rampage III Formula.

Hi - My apologies - I wrote a response yesterday but somehow screwed up posting -
1. Yeah a new case would solve it - another $100-200, plus ~$100 for a cooler (already have to allocate ~$300 for video card upgrade) - does this make sense for a 4790k (gigabyte UDH3)? Not sure. I will likely have to do a teardown to install any new cleaner so there's that...

2. The Grand Macho looks good - but BIG - and the TSP seems more or less equivalent to the 212 -

3. Any thought on this?: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/572 Not the tippy top but looks like it may be more than OK...

If you are going to spend money on a heatsink, make sure that whatever you get has six heatpipes. The 4790k is second-generation Haswell. It is a fine CPU, and one has served me and my daughter for years. It is well worth resurecting. Whatever case you get, make sure it has no restrictive "grill" at the back. Either remove it (and cover the cut edges with Gorilla tape) or get a Lian Li aluminum case that has no rear g"grill."

2. The Grand Macho looks good - but BIG - and the TSP seems more or less equivalent to the 212 -

3. Any thought on this?: https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/572 Not the tippy top but looks like it may be more than OK...

Actually, TS140P compares with old D14/15 performance. And is as good as LGMRT, which also meets or exceeds D14/15 performance, but without some of the pains of owning a big cooler such as memory clearance. I would not recommend TS140P for use in a 690 case.

As for the BQ cooler, I would pass.

The cooler master website states there's room for 2x120mm fans up top, is there no way to fit the liquid cooler up there? Are you using the drive bays? With the mesh front there is nothing to keep you from cutting out the drive bays and making that a spot for a 240mm cooler, unless you're using them.

Of course with cases like the Fractal Design Meshify C or the Cooler Master NR600 costing under $100, it might not be worth the trouble unless you enjoy modding.

The 212 has four heatpipes, which puts it in the minor leagues. Cheap is its forte.

Some heatsinks get their cooling from a convex contact surface and/or excessive clamping pressure. Heatsinks with screws usually come with springs. Together they administer the correct clamping pressure.

The thought of having to listen to an AIO reverberate through the thinly built 690 does not sound appealing to me.. Its not going to be better than big air, and it will be louder. My R4 had loads of sound deadener and it was still loud. To each their own though.

Didnt read it....

But maybe delid and replace the stock TIM and keep the cooler you have. Will be fine.

the reeven ouranos is the best heatsink ive owned. https://www.newegg.com/p/1DR-003S-00002

it matches the ts140p/ds14/ds15 performance for half the price of a d15 and is a single fan 140mm sink with memory clearance. it's 161mm tall and this review says you have 171mm so hopefully it's accurate. https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/cooler-master-cm-690-iii-review/1/

from the link above

Specifications

Dimensions (mm) 230 x 502 x 507 (W x D x H)
Material Steel, plastic, metal mesh
Available colours Black, green
Weight 8.9kg
Front panel Power, reset, 2 x USB 3, 2 x USB 2, stereo, microphone
Drive bays 3 x external 5.25in, 7 x internal 3.5in/2.5in, 3 x internal 2.5in
Form factor(s) ATX, micro-ATX
Cooling 1 x 200mm/180mm or 2 x 140mm/120mm front fan mounts (200mm fan included), 1 x 120mm rear fan mount (fan included), 1 x 200mm or 2 x 140mm/120mm roof fan mounts, 1 x 200mm/180mm or 2 x 120mm left side fan mounts, 1 x 120mm bottom fan mount, 1 x 120mm internal HDD cage mount (fans not included)
CPU cooler clearance 171mm
Maximum graphics card length 423mm; 312mm with 2.5-inch cage; 280mm with 3.5-inch cage
Extras Removable dust filters, anti-vibration fan pads

the reeven ouranos is the best heatsink ive owned. https://www.newegg.com/p/1DR-003S-00002

it matches the ts140p/ds14/ds15 performance for half the price of a d15 and is a single fan 140mm sink with memory clearance. it's 161mm tall and this review says you have 171mm so hopefully it's accurate. https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/cooler-master-cm-690-iii-review/1/

from the link above

Specifications

Dimensions (mm) 230 x 502 x 507 (W x D x H)
Material Steel, plastic, metal mesh
Available colours Black, green
Weight 8.9kg
Front panel Power, reset, 2 x USB 3, 2 x USB 2, stereo, microphone
Drive bays 3 x external 5.25in, 7 x internal 3.5in/2.5in, 3 x internal 2.5in
Form factor(s) ATX, micro-ATX
Cooling 1 x 200mm/180mm or 2 x 140mm/120mm front fan mounts (200mm fan included), 1 x 120mm rear fan mount (fan included), 1 x 200mm or 2 x 140mm/120mm roof fan mounts, 1 x 200mm/180mm or 2 x 120mm left side fan mounts, 1 x 120mm bottom fan mount, 1 x 120mm internal HDD cage mount (fans not included)
CPU cooler clearance 171mm
Maximum graphics card length 423mm; 312mm with 2.5-inch cage; 280mm with 3.5-inch cage
Extras Removable dust filters, anti-vibration fan pads
What you are pointing to is the Reeven Ouranos. I reviewed that in 2015. It is indeed a good heatsink for not a lot of money . . . if you don't mind dishing in the IHS of your CPU a little. In the review you can see that the contact surface is convex, and there is nothing to stop you from applying excessive clamping prssure. So of course the contact is good and it cools well. What impressed me was the two of its six heatpipes were 8mm instead of the usual 6mm heatpipes (I checked on the OEM's website), so you would expect it to be capable of carrying away more heat. So, as a former reviewer I have mixed feelings about the Ouranos. I would never put it in a heatsink-comparing system again. But if I were to install it and never move it, I would seriously consider it.

When lapping Intel IHS tops I discovered they already are concave. I say that because the corners are the first areas that show abrasion when you start to lap.

When lapping Intel IHS tops I discovered they already are concave. I say that because the corners are the first areas that show abrasion when you start to lap.

The flat heatsinks show that: they often show corner marks on their surfaces. Mildly convex surfaces are the norm for heatsinks because of this. Markedly convex heatsink contact surfaces make it worse. In fact, one manufacturer brags about this and advertises this "feature." Using its heatsinks ruined my 4790k systen for comparison work. I had to wait for the 8700k to be generally available to build my next system.

But if they weren't concave but flat the early phase of lapping would show abrasion across the entire surface of the IHS lid.

The concave comes from the stamping out of the plates. being thinner in the middle than the edges also causes that.

If a proper lapping job is done to both cooler and IHS plate, when you join the two together Without paste, they should suction cup and the cpu will lift off the table seemingly stuck to the cooler.
I clean my surfaces after lapping with glass cleaner.
Lapping Cpu cores up to 3000 grit and IHS/Cooler plates to 2000 grit.
Start at 600 or 800 grit and bring the nickel down to copper, then work up 1000, 1200, 1500. 1500 is the minimum I finish a lapping at.

Thanks guys for all the discussion - been doing fam things -
1. The cm690 III will fit a large cooler - mine is a 690 II and wont
2. I was (as always) hoping for a cheap performance boost - figured I dould do the cooling for ~$100 and justify a 1660ti (currently running gtx 670 2gb) - getting a better case I guess is a long-term investment - looks like my cheapest option is to mod the case if necessary to mount a 240 AIO.

Questions - 1) Is it likely I can go north of 4.6 on an AIO? [I don't think my chip can do better - if that- and be stable 2) If I did get a new case - given the purpose which is to run a very very CPU heavy game faster - would it be make any difference to go big air or AIO - would like to run the ND-15 if possible.
3 Is delidding a chip really an option? Is it actually as simple as popping off the IHS and putting a dab of thermal grease - what if it get over the circuitry? I have never gone anywhere that - and would not like to end up with a trashed chip -

And PS - no one likes the Be Cool TF?

Thanks -

Well I wouldn't spend a dime more cooling that Q6600. You won't make any real gains honestly.

Your best option, sadly to say, would be to upgrade perhaps first Gen Ryzen. Might cost a little more than buying a new cooler, but would yield a better performance increase result. (opinion)

Hi - actually its a 4790k Devil's Canyon - so a somewhat more robust processor - and was hoping to throw $400 max at cooling and video ...hence desire to push this a few years.

I'm continuing to push the OC - currently 4.6 @ 1.3v core and 1.15 vring - temps in the 70's to high 80's - will see how far I can get on this - but think I'm near current thermal limits

however I do take your poing re diminishing returns - - were I to go new build, yes would do a current ryzen ~$400 , mobo $200, case $100, 5700xt $400, 32 gb ddr4 $200, + what kind of cooling - $100-150 - cracking the $1200 mark w/out a sweat...

WHY DOES THIS ALWAY HAPPEN...?

Last edited:
That happens because you price out all top hardware?

Perhaps a ryzen 2000 series on B450 with some DDr4 and use the rest of whatcha gots.

Update your sig would ya?

Back