• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not experience, should I attempt it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnowzSan

This is my current build:

Intel Core i5-4670K
Corsair H100i
Asus Sabertooth Z87
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x4GB)
2x Asus GTX 780ti (reference/SLI)
Corsair HX1050
2x Western Digital Green 2TB
1x Western Digital Black 1TB
1x Intel Cherryville 520 SSD

Inside a Corsair Obsidian 550D Black case.

I've been wanting to jump into water cooling but theres a few things holding me back. First, this would obviously be my first time doing it. Given the cost of this hardware, should I consider finding someone more experienced to help me? Second, I've been looking through the parts list and what I'd need to get this build under water but realistically, for my given hardware, is there anything that you, as a community, would personally recommend short of what the beginners guide offered? I'm just looking to make sure that if I do this, I'm not going to look back after assembling it and seeing the temps that if I bought this one part instead of the one I got that it'd be lower temps or maybe a heads up on any parts/brands that are prone to failure?

Thanks in advance guys.

(disclaimer: I've built tons of PCs. I understand the shortcomings of closed-loop. I choose it over air mainly because it does take stress off of the motherboard. The last time I used aircooling the Hyper 212 Evo ripped the mounts for the CPU cooler right off of the board. It was an AMD build.)

Welcome to OCFs!

If you're looking for really good water cooling temps, you'll need a cool environment and lots of heat surface @ low FPI while running fans at low RPM. You can get a MORA or add 120.2 in the front and top of the case. It should be ok but not sure how much headroom you'll have for OCing. The more you push the closer to air temps it will get but me thinks you'll be in the 15-20ish delta temp area. You want great delta temps, you'll need more space and heat surface. Thats what it comes down too.

Take a look at this video to get your wheels oiled up a bit. ;)

Back