• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not getting a bump from going from AIO to Custom Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vitali

Hello,

I build my first custom loop and not getting any increase in overclock. One caveat that this is between two different systems, so why model of CPU/MB is the same the actual CPUs are different samples. I wander if there is anything I can improve with my loop or it's just different between CPU samples, Details below:

Custom loop system:
  • Asus X99 Delux MB
  • Intel 5960X CPU
  • 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM
  • Corsair AX1500 PSU
  • EK-FB ASUS X99 Monoblock
  • EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Pump/Reservuar Combo - I replaced 140mm with 400mm reservuar
  • EK-CoolStream XE 480 radiator
  • 2 meters of 1/2" tubing

AIO system:
I have two, both with Asus X99 Delux, X5960 and 64GB G'Skill 3000 RAM. One with Corsair H110i GTX, another with Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate.

Performance:

Both AIO system achieve 4.6GHs stable with RAM at 2400. One system is in my office which is air conditioned and it never crashed, The other system is in my non air conditioned home and crashed couple of times on very hot summer days,

My Custom Loop system achieve basically the same performance - 4.6GHz stable. On 4.7 GHz AIDA64 detects hardware failre but only on FPU test, Otherwise I can absolutely anythig at 4.7. But 4.8GHz crashes Windows.

As far as temperatures Cistom Loop CPU runs 7 to 10 C cooler on anything. However under AIDA64 FPU test temperature shoots to above 90 in couple of seconds and hardware failure (worong result of calulation) is detected,

I'm looking for suggestions how to debug/improve my cooling loop.

Thanks,
Vitali Fridman

Your results sound right to me (I'm not a watercooling guru, by any means).

Temps dropped and (I'm assuming) the custom loop is much quieter.

Moving to better cooling will not guarantee a better overclock. If anyone told you that, they were lying or didn't know what they were talking about.

Sounds like 4.6 is your stable max if 4.7 is crashing in Aida. You can increase voltage to try and get stable at 4.7 or higher. Temps will increase with added voltage. This is what better cooling (a custom loop) affords you - the ability to increase voltage further).

Ninja noted a good point. I was wondering if you were getting that OC with stock voltage or not. If you haven't tried yet, then increase the vcore and see if you can push the OC even further since now you have better cooling that can dissipate the heat better.

Yes, I increases voltages but not getting over 4,6GHz stable. I'm thinking of swapping CPUs between old AIO and new Custome Loop systems and see what happenes. After all I have 3 of this CPUs, maybe one of them will go higher, I;ve heard it depends on particular CPU sample quite a bit.

Yes, I increases voltages but not getting over 4,6GHz stable. I'm thinking of swapping CPUs between old AIO and new Custome Loop systems and see what happenes. After all I have 3 of this CPUs, maybe one of them will go higher, I;ve heard it depends on particular CPU sample quite a bit.
It's a silicon lottery, every chip is different and will Oc differently. If you have 3 of them then testing each on the best cooling is a good idea.

Yep, silicone lottery. My antique rig had the same chip in 2 boards, same model of board. 1 board was a better clocker than the other by about 300mhz. Similar to the one in my sig. UD3R to UD3P lost 200mhz. Same everything except board and day of the week.

Goes for anything in a machine. Build 2 automotive engines the same and it's all but guaranteed they won't have the same dyno numbers.

Last edited:
That shows a board difference, not cpu. ;)

That is back when choosing the right mother board mattered for overclocking in the Intel world. The past couple generations, not so much.

Exactly right ED, tried to edit to show, but 2 finger typist a little slow. (even then not all that well).

I took it as 2 different systems that were spec'd the same.

I have a couple of 4790K cpu's, when clocking them you would never think they were brother and sister, they are not alike at all.

I agree, try and figure which is the best chip and slap it into the machine with the custom loop.

I will also add that, in a custom properly configured loop to cool said components, you usually get anywhere from 15-20c+ better cooling in general. AIO is still close to the high end air. If you're getting only 7-10c cooler from a AIO to your custom, something's not adding up or you have high ambient temps.

You only have 2 fingers!? ;)

:rofl:

Exactly right ED, tried to edit to show, but 2 finger typist a little slow. (even then not all that well).

I took it as 2 different systems that were spec'd the same.
The point was the CPU being the difference, you pointed out motherboard differences with 4 generations old hardware. Now days, the motherboard doesn't matter (talking low midrange on up) and it is truly the CPU that makes the difference.

But in order to make the point we were discussing, you needed to show different CPUs on the same motherboard. ;)

Nice system The 5960X @ 4.6 is nothing to sneeze at and will serve you well for the foreseeable future.
Enjoy the low temps and lack of noise.
Barring competitive benching binning these chips makes little sense

Back