• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Novice- need help with Ekweb Predator purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Ok
So have decided getting the Predator 360 to cool both my CPU (i76900k on Asus X99A-2) and GPU(Titan XP).

In the future I also need to cool a 2nd GPU

Which exact parts do I need to purchase in addition to the stock 360 unit to cool my single GPU as well as my CPU??
http://www.ekwb.com/predator/#ow_block_7

There seem to be 4 different types of blocks, ditto for back plates and a gazillion different fittings to choose from!
Whats the difference between nickel and 'acetal?

Any feedback appreciated!

You will want a lot more radiator to do both, let alone another gpu.

What case do you have, so we can know how much radiator room is available?

If you have dual titan XP money, pay someone to build a custom loop :D

I kid, I kid.

You'll need a GPU block for the Titan(s) as well, EK will pre-fill them with QDC's for an extra 30 bucks or so.

The Predator comes with fittings, as will the waterblock if you select the prefill option.

I'm not sure there's a prefill option for adding extra radiators.

The Fractal Design S

Info taken from Fractal's site

NO Fractal "Design S" unless you meant the "Define S"

Water cooling compatibility - Radiators
•Front – 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators of all thicknesses
•Top – 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators. (A thickness limitation of 55mm for both radiator + fan applies on 420, 280 and 140 mm radiators)
•Bottom – 120 mm radiator (Use of radiators in the bottom position limits the PSU length to 165 mm)
•Rear – 120 or 140 mm radiator

The EK Predator 360 with fans is 68mm thick. Only place you can mount it is in the front. Ontop you will be limited to only 55mm thick including fans.

Thanks
Yes Define S

There's a misleading build pic then that shows the 360 mounted on top in one build

http://www.ekwb.com/predator/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/fractal-design-define-s-1.jpg

You can see the top of the motherboard is covered up. He's using ram with no heatspreaders to be able to have clearance. I can bet the edge of the predator's rad is pushing up against the VRM heatsinks as shown in the pic.

Whatever he did, I'm sure he forced the predator into that spot.

You can build it right, or build it like he did. In any event he made it work.

I don't see anything wrong with that picture... honestly...

Just because the top of the motherboard is covered up, doens't mean its touching the VRM heatsink. I had that same issue in the air 540 but the rad never touched the VRM heatsink.... a clearance concern? ABSOLUTELY! The ram being without a heatsink likely doesn't play any role at all here. If you look at your ram sticks, you will see there is a few mm gap from teh edge of the ram PCB to where the heatspeader begins. If that gap wasn't there, sticks wouldn't slide into the clips in the DIMM slots.

This was quoted from the specs:
Water cooling compatibility - Radiators

•Front – 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators of all thicknesses
•Top – 420, 360, 280, 240, 140 and 120 mm radiators. (A thickness limitation of 55mm for both radiator + fan applies on 420, 280 and 140 mm radiators)

If you are going to emulate the build in the picture I would mount the fans under the rad in a push configuration. That would help alleviate some of the clearance issues. It would also allow the front and rear fan to breathe a little more.

Can I ask why you are considering the predator instead of just doing a custom loop. As Janus said earlier you will want more than a single 360 rad especially when you add a second gpu. Going custom will allow you a wider parts selection and will make it easier to get parts to fit.

Thanks!
2 reasons

1- PRICE -already WAY over budget in my build
2- SIMPLICITY- my first build

I understand keeping it simple and cheap, but again, you don't have enough radiator for your end goal with just 360mm worth of radiator.

If you are going to emulate the build in the picture I would mount the fans under the rad in a push configuration. That would help alleviate some of the clearance issues. It would also allow the front and rear fan to breathe a little more.

Can I ask why you are considering the predator instead of just doing a custom loop. As Janus said earlier you will want more than a single 360 rad especially when you add a second gpu. Going custom will allow you a wider parts selection and will make it easier to get parts to fit.

I understand keeping it simple and cheap, but again, you don't have enough radiator for your end goal with just 360mm worth of radiator.

This.

I would see and fit as much radiator in the front and top. Check out Alphacool's ST30 rads. They seem to be one of the slimmest out there and well performing. I would recommend in using the front and bottom as intakes and use the top and rear as exhaust, presuming that there is not filter at the top as it will create resistance and circulate some of that exhausted air back into the rad.

Remove the filter surely... though I doubt there is any significant 'blow back' with a filter on exhaust.

Just following up on this post.
Apprently TOp mounting IS a viable solution with the Predator 360 and the Define S (or R5) case.
This is a screen grab from the 'official' ekwb install video
Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 2.52.50 PM.png

Back