• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NSI K8N NEO4 Platnum Maxtor HD Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cooter

I am trying to fix a computer for a friend and it seems that I am having some issues.

Specs:

AMD 3500+ Venice
MSI Neo4 Platium
1 gb corsair valueselect
X800XL
Maxtor 300GB 16 MB cache SATA HD
Lite DVD
NEC 3520A DVD burner

When the computer was first assembled we could not detect the HD. We ended up RMAing it and got a new one (same maxtor drive), this one worked and was able to be detected in the BIOS. After windows in installed and while doing updates I get a BSOD. There have even been times that the install would not complete.

I have tried the HD in my otehr computer which has a P4P8X in it and it seemed to work fine, i even ran the maxtor diagnostic tools on it, all passed.

I have used 3 different bios' on the MSI mobo to fix it (1.0, 1.2, and 1.4), I have the problem with each of the bios'.

In addition to that if I use a 120 GB WD ATA drive it works fine.

Does anyone have any more Idea's to fix this or do I need to RMA the motherboard.

I am thinking that the SATA controllers are bad. I have tried to use both the NVIDIA controller and SIL controller. In the NVIDIA controller it does what I described above. When I use the SIL controller windows can not even find the drive.

it ended up being a compatibility issue, i swapped the 300 out for a WD 250 I had, it work great.

For future reference, the nForce IDE driver doesn't like Maxtors for some reason. I was having similar problems as you until I saw a thread on the IDE driver and BSODs over at the MSI nVidia board forums. I removed the nForce IDE driver and let XP install its generic IDE driver, and now life is good!

Back