• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Nvidia 1080 launch thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is a bench mark it is not 2x it is good however there comparing a 1080 to 980 they took all my fun away.
GTX 980.jpg

I'll be waiting for the 1080 Ti then I'll be buying in. It's going to be very interesting to see what the ungimped version can do. BTW, billions of dollars of R & D is just :drool:

Nvidia doesn't do all it's R&D for video games anymore. CUDA HPC applications are huge. NAMD just came out w/a new CUDA enabled version of their HPC software that more than doubles the performance.

Nvidia has products that are only designed for HPC apps now -- no video outputs whatsoever.

Does anyone know what percentage of Nvidia's profits come from HPC products?

- - - Updated - - -

We do and I will abuse it in this post: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: This would be a sweet upgrade from my 780. I'm drawn to the lower power consumption vs 780. Now to save up for it!!

I feel your GTX 780 performance deficit pain brother.

- - - Updated - - -

[prepares for flood of 9xxs on eBay]

What about 980Ti's do you think there will be a sell-off of those as well?

I'm already seeing them sell for $500 or less on various forums/sites.

There will always be people that upgrade straight away (which I still think is a mistake due to lack of drivers/support) but the vast majority should stick with them until all the "up to 7x faster" rumours are dispelled ?

There will always be people that upgrade straight away (which I still think is a mistake due to lack of drivers/support) but the vast majority should stick with them until all the "up to 7x faster" rumours are dispelled ?

I don't disagree. But I can only imagine the price of the used cards continuing to go down. So if you plan to upgrade no matter your current card right now is a good time to sell. But not necessarily a good time to buy used as the supply will almost certainly increase and price subsequently will go down.

I just read the article from Anandtech and he said according to the graph the GTX 1080 is only 20-25% faster than the GTX 980ti so it seems now that it is the same old launch with a lot of hype, also they made the 1070 7% grater performance distance gap from the 1080 compared to the GTX 980 GTX 970 series.

Looks like I will do a lot of waiting to see if it is worth the upgrade on a GTX 1070.

marketing slides put the average at around 65% faster than GTX 980 and 20-25% faster than GTX Titan X/980 Ti, which is relatively consistent for a new NVIDIA GPU http://www.anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

Last edited:
Garbage, its 200 points above mine on 3DMark Extreme. Oh you mean the crappy standard ?

One sketchy unconfirmed bench from one sketchy site does not equate to truth.

We need to wait until we have benchmarks from reliable sources. There is no point getting worked up one way or the other.

One sketchy unconfirmed bench from one sketchy site does not equate to truth.

We need to wait until we have benchmarks from reliable sources. There is no point getting worked up one way or the other.

Might as well say don't trust anything from any website, only 100% reliable source you're ever going to get is benching it by yourself :screwy:

No... but a clickbait site like videocardz with no test bench listed is not what I would consider reliable. :screwy:

It is a May 27th release so I would guess that review sites will be getting samples soon and proper benches will be done.

No... but a clickbait site like videocardz with no test bench listed is not what I would consider reliable. :screwy:

Yes... results might be in the ballpark but they will change according to your setup, besides i seen too many websites peddled as clickbait/trash actually providing good info to be judgemental. And ofc still waiting for the "up to 7x faster" then Maxwell, here's to hoping this will not be something like Haswell vs Skylake performance wise after all the hype :(

Jnk9iyc.jpg

Last edited:
I don't disagree. But I can only imagine the price of the used cards continuing to go down. So if you plan to upgrade no matter your current card right now is a good time to sell. But not necessarily a good time to buy used as the supply will almost certainly increase and price subsequently will go down.

The reality of practically any new GPU release cycle. Does this type of cycle apply to CPU's as well? I've never bought a used CPU ever.

There is typically a release driver that comes out with the new arch. If anything would be supported it would be new arch launch drivers.

I don't know... 20-25% isn't too shabby. It's not the flagship remeber. The 980ti was that much faster (~20%) than the 980 I believe. For $600, which is cheaper than a 980ti, by what $40+? (Didn't look), less power use, and potentially that much faster...

The reality of practically any new GPU release cycle. Does this type of cycle apply to CPU's as well? I've never bought a used CPU ever.

Yeah the same thing happens with cpus a decent amount as well. But there generally isn't quite as much of a bottleneck or performance increase from gen to gen so the sale prices tend to not drop quite as much as quickly.

Back