• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia 600 Series? [Search:| Nvidia 600 Series|]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I ran over to newegg to grab a GTX 580, and then it hit me...

Where are the 600 series card!? They were supposed to be released by now, i ran around google and the first 5 or 6 links is crap posted from back in January and March of this year speculating the release as "Q2" which obviously didn't happen, and then "Q4" which doesn't seem likely either since Skyrim and BF3 is coming out soon, alot of people who're going go with what's available and in most cases, that might just be AMD's line up considering the price/performance available.

I'm in the market for a PhysX capable GPU, i have already owned a 560 Ti, which sucked for my applications, it ran hot, and it was not very powerful, i also play FFXIV which the 580 runs decently but it still lags, though it plays The Witcher 2, it will not do it on the highest settings, ... Skyrim is on the way and if this card can't handle 16x AA on a 1920x1080 screen with low LoD there is no hop of see'ing all the pretty in Skyrim which has a massive LoD.

Not sure i want to spend $1000+ in 2 580's (one for me and my wife) if they're coming out in a month or so.

What do we know about it, is it still the CUDA/Fermi architecture? Is it going to have xxx amount of cores and yada yada? the only thing i found was a chart that pretty much looked way off, saying the core clock was 850 mhz on the 690, I'm not so sure about that, in many cases Core speed means alot, and so far i haven't seen a next generation GPU being slower than the last, while it isn't slower it really isn't that big of a jump either.

I think I remember reading that they were pushed back to the 1Q 2012.

Edit:http://www.techpowerup.com/148722/Foundry-Delays-to-Push-Back-NVIDIA-Kepler-Launch-to-2012.html?cp=2

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680464

16 AA ehhh I can't tell the difference after 4

Thanks Radio.
I might just get a 580 now and get another one later.

I can tell the difference in 4x, 8x and 16x, atleast in my main game FFXIV, distant objects have a large effect on the amount of AA, the major difference is, it uses QMSAA, once you get on a ship or boat that rocks up and down you notice it more, on top of that i use a bow all the time and the string looks like a crooked line in paint on 4x MSAA, where as 16xQMSAA looks like a diagonal string like it should.

The 580 does a good job under 8xMSAA but after that, you can forget solid framerates.

but the 3gb model is a waste of money on standard resolution (1080p) as everyone points out.

I am assuming, since I've been told memory isn't additive in SLI, that if you're planning on running something like 5760x1080 (triple widescreens), then maybe the 3GB 580s in SLI could have a benefit?

I ended up going with the 3gb model one for me and one for her.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127589

Iv'e mentioned it somewhere else but i have surpassed 1.5GBs playing Final Fantasy XIV with stuff like 8XQMSAA which you can literally see the difference small objects like bow strings, boats and distant objects, The witcher 2 Ubersampling requires a lot of VRAM and Aion during sieges will fill up VRAM really quickly with the new engine.

I will probably SLi them in the future, assuming i can find this same card at that point because i noticed this particular GPU has a shader clock that isn't in sync with the core clock like most of the other cards.

The last GTX 580 i had was a Matrix, or rather, the last 3! That matrix card was a nice idea and really ment for someone who's considering water or LN2, but that's not me, stock clocks would reach upper 80's it took 100% fan speed to raise voltages, reading some of the reviews many of the other people had the very same issue, there ar a couple of them that even sound exactly like me "i think i just got a bad matrix batch" - "i probably just got unlucky with the matrix" well i got unlucky 3 times in a row, i will be doing more research before i buy another market gimmick. These MSI Lightnings are tried and tested and i feel confident in this purchase, i would have regreted getting the 1.5GB model since i had one and i hit the memory limits on a single screen before. 1 -1.5 GB is ok if the person is playing a FPS with a limited map or a offline game, when it comes to MMOs, specially PvP oriented one's you will easily hit 2GBs with your eye candy + people on screen.

Last edited:
Shader is... or should always be twice the core.

My matrix run s nice and cool. It hang even seen 60c with a proper fan profile (never going above 40%).

but the 3gb model is a waste of money on standard resolution (1080p) as everyone points out.

Disagree. I've been saddened by my 1.5GB many times. I can't run as many passes of AA/AF as I'd like in many games, simply due to RAM volume. In Rise of Flight, my card would handle 16/16 but I run out of memory at 8/8 :(.

I can tell the difference. It comes with Analus retentivitis I can manage 16/16 in BFBC2 and stuff is totally softer looking at 16/16.

Back