• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia card No Post No Display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazie151

Registered
Hi everyone!

I'm having some issues with my PC. I origionally thought I just needed new HDDs. It took me a long time to get new ones as I now live on a pension & couldn't afford them. I got them & now I'm not getting any signal. I've moved twice since the HDD issues so something may have happened to it during a move I don't know.

I thought once I bought the new HDDs that would be it finally I have my PC back! Nope
I thought sure maybe a new CMOS battery as it's been a long time since it's been running. Nope.
Then it was really dusty so I thought I would give it a really good clean & reseat the cards. Nope.

No post beeps, green lights, every part is running. Posts if I remove the RAM so it's not totally fked or corrupted. Tried different monitors, cables, both ports. What am I missing? What am I forgetting? Why is there no signal?
I tried removing ram sticks to isolate encase it was a RAM issue. Nope.
I even tried 1 RAM stick in the black ports (main ones are orange). Nope.
Not a RAM issue. Only a RAM issue when there is no RAM installed. Yes, it does post then.
I changed the pins on the mobo to refresh/wipe the BIOS encase that was causing any issues. Nope.
I do have another PSU in a box somewhere but the graphics card powers up fine. 2 green lights saying all is fine!
I also just tried another CMOS battery just encase the first one I tried was dodgy. Nope.
As far as I can tell the graphics card & ports are fine. I would put a PCI card in to rule out the card, slot, ports & everthing but they are in a box somewhere.

If anyone has any tips, suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Stats:
XFX Geforce GTX285 XXX Edition 1GB GDDR3
Asus P6T Deluxe

Yes, I know it's old now but the thing cost me $3.5k to build, I can't afford a new one, I'm sick of using my crappy laptop & really want my computer back! So any help would really be appreciated!!! K thanks so much!!

<3 Kazie

do you have any other ram available or one that you can borrow from someone? Since it posts without ram, this could be problem.
PSU doesn't seem to be problem but check it out anyway if the other one is compatible (last resort)
try booting with a PCI card just incase and try another PCI-E slot for your GPU aswell.
how do the capacitors look? this shouldn't be a problem normally, but since you said you moved alot they could've broken of or blown because of it.
how do the heatsinks feel on your mobo? its a older mobo the thermal compound could've dried out preventing proper cooling.

No other RAM available I don't think. I'd have to go through my boxes of parts but they're all packed up insanely well, in boxes, a lot in bubble wrap not labled (that was a silly move). It will take ages to unwrap it all & my new place has no cupboards so I've been in the process of buying a bunch more furniture.
RAM gives 1 beep with no ram. No beeps with RAM in, any combo of RAM.
I'll try the other PCI-E slot & see if that works. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks!
Capacitors all look fine. I was wondering about the thermal myself. It's about the only part I didn't reseat. I have some in my toolbox but it's probably gone bad. Headsinks look fine but I'd buy more before removing it. There's some heavy duty cooling in the case & the heatsink is great so overheating shouldn't hopefully be an issue. I've only been running it for like 1min max at a time.

Encase you are wondering or needing full stats:
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932 Black
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
HDD: 2X 1TB, 3X 2TB (well not anymore lol)
Optical: 2X Lite-On IHas120
Video: XFX Geforce GTX285 XXX Edition 1GB GDDR3 PSU: Antec TPQ-1000 TruePower Quattro
Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 eeXtreme

Thanks heaps! I'll try swapping the card over. I'll let you know. :)

Last edited:
I swapped the card to the other PCI-E slot. Still no display. :'(

I have a cupboard I can put together so I will let you know when I have done that & have found parts. It was not meant to be for parts but I guess now it is. :/

If anyone has any other idea ideas please let me know.

Thanks!

<3 Kazie.

after testing with the pci gpu can you test your original gpu in a friends pc? if it works in another pc im afraid it looks as tho your mb is going flakey on you. it may have been bounced around a little during your move. old hardware does become fragile over time unfortunately.
are you getting any post beeps?

Back