• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia Driver overhead problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Very interesting video I watched this morning from Hardware Unboxed. Basically showing that if you have a cpu bottleneck, then an AMD gpu could be the better choice.

It has explained perfectly why I am not seeing the gains I thought I would get going from a 5700xt to an RTX3070. I was able to get a 3070 for only £100 more than I could sell my 5700xt for and so I thought it was an easy decision.

However in some games, such as Warzone or Apex where I want more than 120fps I have seen next to no improvement going to the 3070. The only time I have seen a big improvement is in cyberpunk 2077 when I enabled ray tracing and dlss as I got a far superior visual quality and more FPS, but that game was more gpu limited.

And it seems the reason for my lack of performance from the 3070 is my cpu, which is a first Gen ryzen 1600. I suppose it means I could see 20% FPS gains when I finally do upgrade next year, but for now the 3070 performance increase has been minimal.

What resolution are you gaming at? I know a high end GPU in any case is mostly a waste at 1080P....Much better for 4K.

After watching the vid that seems to prove the case....:sly:

Last edited:
What resolution are you gaming at? I know a high end GPU in any case is mostly a waste at 1080P....Much better for 4K.

Thought I had said. I’m at 1440p and looking for high refresh rates in certain games or really high quality in others. It’s the high refresh rate games I am losing out on.

Well, slower cpu with high-end cards for high Hz gaming.... makes sense. :)

Also, COD Warzone.... pay attention to core/thread use...on a 4c/8t cpu like you have, I bet they are all pegged...hell, all 18c/t I use are evenly used in COD.

But yes, for high hz gaming you don't want a low clocked lower IPC, few thread processor. ;)

Edit: did they test that same thing with intel cpus?

Last edited:
Well, slower cpu with high-end cards for high Hz gaming.... makes sense. :)

Also, COD Warzone.... pay attention to core/thread use...on a 4c/8t cpu like you have, I bet they are all pegged...hell, all 18c/t I use are evenly used in COD.

But yes, for high hz gaming you don't want a low clocked lower IPC, few thread processor. ;)

Ideally not, no. But I can’t afford a new one yet. The main point of the video though, was that a 5700xt in some use cases was getting higher FPS than a 3070 even at 1440p which shouldn’t be the case.

It's an odd couple pairing, but I'm sure many made that jump before.

I'd be interested to see that tested with 2000 series gpu like a 2080/2080ti and see if the trend remains the same. Or, better with a previous (pre ampere) driver version. I say that because I've noticed this lack of scaling and it came with Ampere...but not sure if it was the driver or how the gpu works with the driver.

I didnt watch the video all the way through...so not sure if he swapped drivers or gpus in the 2 tested games.

He did use a 2080ti as well and an Intel cpu to kind of show it wasn’t an AMD thing. I would have also like to have seen a 1080ti as I think a 1080ti paired with an older lower core count cpu going up against a 5700xt would have been interesting to see if the 5700xt pulled ahead in more cpu intensive situations.

Back