• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Introduces The GTX TITAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Truth be told, I've never physically signed an NDA for any hardware. I've agreed to adhere to an NDA date & time via email and most times not even that.

There are a limited number of samples to go around. There are a LOT of places that would like to get their hands on pre-release, NDA hardware. If a site is big enough to qualify to get on the 'list', as it were, for NDA hardware and they finally do get on it, they aren't likely to violate the NDA for a few thousand extra page hits you get for publishing early, when the penalty is getting dropped from the 'list', likely permanently. It's just not worth it.

These places you see breaking NDA for the most part aren't ever under an NDA (think WCCF Tech and their ilk). They get hardware from people they know that work in / around / know billy jo bob that works at the factory in Taiwan.

Alas, I doubt AMD will go olympian and blow NV out of the water. I'd love to, though. I no longer have anything against AMD, as they're improving driver-wise on Linux.

Thing is AMD already has its "Olympian" champion... The Ares II. Sure; they're apples and oranges since nVidia's is a single core and "supposedly" mass market product whereas the Ares II is a dual core, limited edition card made by a vendor and not AMD itself. Still; when spending the equivalent of a good computer on a GPU alone; it had better be that much better than the next one down... And I just don't see the Titan being three times as fast as a HD7970, twice as fast as a GTX680 or even 1.5 times as fast as a Mars II.

Basically; this thing is just lik the Ares and Mars lines of cards, but without the "panache" of having a # of 1000 marking on it. So you're paying "Limited Edition" prices, but not getting "LE" status or even "LE" performance.

To me... It's a "bleh" type of release.

hokiealumnus said:
These places you see breaking NDA for the most part aren't ever under an NDA (think WCCF Tech and their ilk). They get hardware from people they know that work in / around / know billy jo bob that works at the factory in Taiwan.

Tweaktown had hard time with Nvidia in the past and if you vist tweaktown today, they dont have a Titan preview ... they lost alot in this "little war".

Pretty nice card. Not having $1k to throw down on it leaves me just sayin' "OOOO, AHHH". But from another perspective, maybe it will shave a couple of bucks off the prices of so called lower tier cards, silver linings and all. :p

Just the same, if you don't have to ship it back, maybe it could behave like the Stanley Cup, everyone gets to play with it for a month????:cool:

Tweaktown had hard time with Nvidia in the past and if you vist tweaktown today, they dont have a Titan preview ... they lost alot in this "little war".

They complained about it on Facebook last week actually. For the past three plus NVIDIA releases, they have obtained just such cards in just such a manner from their friends in Taiwan and then published the results before every other site's NDA time and date, spitting in NVIDIA's face for not including them in the sampling. It seems hardly a winning strategy, but that's what they did. NVIDIA just did a good job keeping them locked down in TW this time, so TT couldn't get their hands on one. I don't know what the initial beef between NV & TT was, but TT made it immeasurably worse by taking the path they did.

So wait, this is only 3 SLI? Why not four? Why an odd number? Weird.

EDIT: and what Telsa is this based off of?

The K20?

It's a K20X Tesla card with (horrendously) gimped double precision floating point performance and a higher clock speed.

Very interesting! Nice to see, really.
Also interesting on the ECC part, as GDDR5 has some ECC by design. I assume that they're talking about extra ECC stuff, maybe including the caches inside the core and maybe the data while it sits in RAM (not sure if that's covered by normal GDDR5 ECC or whether it's just transfers).

Based on what I can see on the PCB, there is almost certainly an absolute hard cap (without a custom i2c device, anyway) at 1.2175v.
It could be gotten around via hardmods, and a manufacturer could build a software controlled hardmod into the board, but that'd probably be the last Nvidia card they made.

^^

I doubt Nvidia will allow EVGA and Asus to build costum card with this "jewel" but i would really like to see what Asus and EVGA could build with such a GPU base.

Imagine a Asus Titan Matrix with 16 or 20 phases phases power desing and a higher Vgpu allowed !!!!! :popcorn: Or even a Dual GPU card based on titan .... :eek:

Good introduction, looks like it's a little pricy like the rumors said, cant wait to see the benchmarks.:drool:

this is very very pleasing to the eye.

so... is this the rumored GTX 780?

or they calling it a different line entirely?

Back