• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE NVIDIA Introduces The GTX TITAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How quickly one forgets that you can overclock.........the 7950, the 7970, and the Titan. It really irks me to hear something like that I have to admit (you can overclock X, yet not mention/forget that you can overclock Y and Z). So essentially, the song remains the same it just depends on how high you can overclock those specific cards.

The more I look at this thing, the less I can understand who the target market for it is.

Is this a Tesla core with GTX capabilities? Or a GTX core with DP computation capabilities.

Either way; I don't see much overlap in the two markets for these... Can't really imagine a bunch of biochemists disabling DP on a few cards at the research lab for a few hours so they can play some Crysis 3.

And I really can't figure out what on earth would Johnny "I have way too much money" Smith ever do to put the DP capabilities of the card to use.

So we have a $1000 card that does two things, but it probably won't do either thing that much better than the "dedicated" counterparts to warrant the price hike.

If I were a gamer (I am) and had $1000 to spend (I don't); there would be lots of options for me to choose that would spank this card in its behind. Some would even cost me less than $1K.

If I were someone interested in the use of its DP computational prowess (F@H don't count because as far as I know; they haven't even optimized clients for Kepler so the wait would be long for that); I'd probably be working at a facility that has no need for the GTX part of the card so they'd go with full Tesla cards instead of gimped Tesla/GTX hybrids.

Again... This is one of those products that are more of a "status symbol" than a practical upgrade, but that too has problems because apparently it is not a "Limited Edition"... So out the door goes the whole status aspect of it. Again; paying "LE" prices, but getting mass market product and one that won't beat the "LE" products out there today... Argue all you want, but I find it difficult to see this thing beating the Mars II or Ares III. It will beat the "normal" GTX680s and probably even the normal HD7970s, but those are not the competition for this thing.

Great post seebs. Completely agreed with you. To me it (at rumored power specs) seems to be more of a bragging right for nvidia to say they have the most powerful card, but I can't see them moving very many units.

As an nvidia stock holder I honestly don't think this will do anything to increase my stock's value

The more I look at this thing, the less I can understand who the target market for it is.

Is this a Tesla core with GTX capabilities? Or a GTX core with DP computation capabilities.

Either way; I don't see much overlap in the two markets for these... Can't really imagine a bunch of biochemists disabling DP on a few cards at the research lab for a few hours so they can play some Crysis 3.

And I really can't figure out what on earth would Johnny "I have way too much money" Smith ever do to put the DP capabilities of the card to use.

So we have a $1000 card that does two things, but it probably won't do either thing that much better than the "dedicated" counterparts to warrant the price hike.

If I were a gamer (I am) and had $1000 to spend (I don't); there would be lots of options for me to choose that would spank this card in its behind. Some would even cost me less than $1K.

If I were someone interested in the use of its DP computational prowess (F@H don't count because as far as I know; they haven't even optimized clients for Kepler so the wait would be long for that); I'd probably be working at a facility that has no need for the GTX part of the card so they'd go with full Tesla cards instead of gimped Tesla/GTX hybrids.

Again... This is one of those products that are more of a "status symbol" than a practical upgrade, but that too has problems because apparently it is not a "Limited Edition"... So out the door goes the whole status aspect of it. Again; paying "LE" prices, but getting mass market product and one that won't beat the "LE" products out there today... Argue all you want, but I find it difficult to see this thing beating the Mars II or Ares III. It will beat the "normal" GTX680s and probably even the normal HD7970s, but those are not the competition for this thing.

I can see this being an asset to anyone wanting the max vram per core available. there are some 6gb 7970's out there, but they retail for +$600 and will get wrecked by a titan (my guess) and a CFX of them will cost more and only be maybe 10% faster(my guess). I think this is marketed towards gamers with multi-monitor setups who don't want to deal with microstutter or lack of scaling in some games but be able to run with ultra/maxed settings.

I can see this being an asset to anyone wanting the max vram per core available.
Serious question, who would that be, and why would they want that? Is this thing strong enough to push single GPU core on 5760x1080p?

I mean we have seen funsoul's results for vram at that res, and not many games now break the 3GB mark. 6GB is obnoxious! Id rather see 4GB on a 512 bus or something than 6GB on 384.

I can see this being an asset to anyone wanting the max vram per core available. there are some 6gb 7970's out there, but they retail for +$600 and will get wrecked by a titan (my guess) and a CFX of them will cost more and only be maybe 10% faster(my guess). I think this is marketed towards gamers with multi-monitor setups who don't want to deal with microstutter or lack of scaling in some games but be able to run with ultra/maxed settings.

But will it really spank a HD7970 GHz with 6GB of VRAM ($579 at newegg right now)? I just don't see it doing that. It may beat said card, but will it be $400 better than that card? I see this selling to people that just want to say I have a Titan. I know a few guys that bought the Mars II and the Ares I when they came out and the only thing they used them for was "regular" desktop use... No heavy gaming or anything that even pushed them cards... They got them because they wanted to post pictures of their systems "sporting the LE cards" on the boards... So it was an e-peen sort of purchase. At least those cards were true LE and had a 10 of 1000 marking on them. With the Titan; it's LE pricing without LE badges and performance that we don't know about.

If I'm spending 40% more money for something; I had better be getting 40% more out of what I bought and I truly think that said 40% cost hike on the Titan goes in the "Tesla" part of it so a "gamer" would be spending the extra $400 on something he/she may never use.... Dumb move in my opinion. And someone interested in using the card for its DP side would be much better served by going full Tesla instead of getting a hybrid card like this one.

Even if I had more money than sense; I'd have enough sense to see this one for the "gimmick" that it is and move on to better options.

Last edited:
Serious question, who would that be, and why would they want that? Is this thing strong enough to push single GPU core on 5760x1080p?
Good question, I am not sure who that would be. I remember when the GTX 680 came out there were a good number people talking about the superiority of 7970 just due to the extra vram. Regardless of the fact that the vram isn't the limiting factor in most cases.
I mean we have seen funsoul's results for vram at that res, and not many games now break the 3GB mark. 6GB is obnoxious! Id rather see 4GB on a 512 bus or something than 6GB on 384.
me too, but maybe with the bar set higher we will see more games using the available vram? :shrug:

Seriously doubt it. It'd be a stupid game manufacturer that limited itself to kilobuck GPUs.

oh this card is clearly a bragging card from nvidia no doubt.

market value is one thing.
they are just showing they are on the top of the food chain.

I happen to have 2x HD7970 Ghz 6Gb. I have hit 16000p in 3dmark11 with then overclocked on air. They are out scored by the Titan, and yes for the price of 2 of them i could have one Titan, and money left over. But meh, im happy. My cards will still be great in combo in 3-4years.

But will it really spank a HD7970 GHz with 6GB of VRAM ($579 at newegg right now)? I just don't see it doing that. It may beat said card, but will it be $400 better than that card? I see this selling to people that just want to say I have a Titan. I know a few guys that bought the Mars II and the Ares I when they came out and the only thing they used them for was "regular" desktop use... No heavy gaming or anything that even pushed them cards... They got them because they wanted to post pictures of their systems "sporting the LE cards" on the boards... So it was an e-peen sort of purchase. At least those cards were true LE and had a 10 of 1000 marking on them. With the Titan; it's LE pricing without LE badges and performance that we don't know about.

If I'm spending 40% more money for something; I had better be getting 40% more out of what I bought and I truly think that said 40% cost hike on the Titan goes in the "Tesla" part of it so a "gamer" would be spending the extra $400 on something he/she may never use.... Dumb move in my opinion. And someone interested in using the card for its DP side would be much better served by going full Tesla instead of getting a hybrid card like this one.

Even if I had more money than sense; I'd have enough sense to see this one for the "gimmick" that it is and move on to better options.

I cant really speak for the Titan, as i have yet to see 3dmark11 scores on performance level. But i would hope that i beats the 7970 6Gb, otherwise its even more overpriced.

I can max out anygame, with 2 7970s, and anyone with 2 of them, even with 3Gb have no trouble maxing out games.

Personally i DO get above the 3Gb mark in a certain game.

The one true difference i really see that is going to handicap me when it comes to OC, is locked voltage, and ontop of that, im also locked down to universal WD, as all block makers point blank refuse to make waterblocks for this card, even thou, there are many looking for them, mainly to have the 7970 and the 6Gb vram under water. But as far i can find the only non REF cards gettings full blocks are the MSI lightning :shrug: I have even bitched at EK, cos i want 4 of these badboys.

Edit:

I see that the perforamnce figures are up, and my 2x7970's score better then one Titan, both at stock clockings. I presume a regular 7970's would score around the same.

Last edited:
In this economy, a $1,000 gpu for <30% overall improvement (aggregate from all performance ratings) seems a bit far-fetched, but then I wouldn't be surprised if the video card drops to $500 by January 2014... and will still be the top of the line card.

IMO, no way will this card see close to $500 in 11 months. Think about it... AMD isnt releasing anything else this year according to them and it really doesnt matter what Nvidia releases to be honst...which leaves this card to sit on top. I would imagine it can come down to $800 or so by then to match 7990's...?

No clue.. all speculation.

True. And considering TSMC reported price hikes on fabrication, which make the chips for nVidia and AMD, prices will hardly drop. That $500 was a speculation if the card fails to sell well over the year.

Back